• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal sidelock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On monday I called Dixie Gunworks and with their help I ordered a mainspring which was missing when I found the gun. spent a few hours taking it apart and cleaning/polishing and this morning installed the new spring.

The only ID marking on the barrel is the word SPAIN, so I would say you nailed it.

just got the mainspring installed and its raining so not fired yet. I'm hopeful that i will get to burn some powder this weekend.

I can't tell looking at my phone, is the barrel held by two screws at the bottom of the nosecap?

yes and the screw that goes thru the rear tang threads into the trigger assembly.

I have read that some of the kits have problems with the threaded holes in the barrel dont line up with the cap.

Looks like an early CVA Kentucky to me. Mine shoot well with a .440 ball and a .015 patch.

Don

CVA used that style sideplate back then and most of their guns were Jukar out of Spain. I built several of their kits back in the 70's, still have a Kentucky rifle and a Tower pistol that I built from their kits. Still take them out to the range now and then too.

When I talked to DGW I told them I thought it was an old CVA colonial lock.

4th of july, getting dark, 20 grains of powder and a cotton ball is a bad idea. But I wana. Bad idea

I have a dead ringer for it in flint only made by Muruko of Japan. I pulled that ugly trigger off heating it up and forging it out so it looked like a real trigger instead of one from a BB gun.
It actually shoots quite well and the flint lock makes lots of sparks. Mike D.

Yup, Zimmerstutzen nailed it, an early 70's Jukar. Great. pistol and alot of fun. Cynthialee spec'd the right sized ammo for you and 20-30 grns is perfect. Look forward to hearing how it shoots. J

yes and the screw that goes thru the rear tang threads into the trigger assembly.

I have read that some of the kits have problems with the threaded holes in the barrel dont line up with the cap.
You are correct on that. On Mine, it was the stock that was to long on it. I had to cut the front of stock down and reform it to fit the cap then drill it so the holes would line up with the barrel. It was a wood working learning experience putting that pistol together. I was 14 when I received it as a Christmas present in 1976. It was made in Spain and sold by CVA.

I have one real similar to it except it's a flint and no nose cap that I picked up at a gunshow for $10. Got it cheap because they fired it in the white and never cleaned it. I figured the parts were worth that. It looked so good when I cleaned it up and finished it that I hated to fire it, but of coarse I did.
Said Jukar on it. Back then all the CVAs and Traditions parts were enterchangable because they imported from the same place.

The kits do have problems with the threaded holes in the cap lining up. I got frustrated, tossed the brass casting and poured a pewter cap instead. Worked out better, looked good too.

Back