• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oxidized Roundballs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken-Hunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been shooting a 54 GPR with good precision and accuracy. At some point I lost both precisioin and accuracy. I tried several things, but didn't see any improvement until I opened a new box of much shinny-er lead balls. My question is can store-bought balls go bad (oxidize?) and affect precision and accuracy?

Lead will oxidize and get harder, slightly after awhile but shouldn't effect accuracy much if at all. I have heard of some loosing accuracy after awhile and sometimes switching to a thicker patch helps.

Hmmm not doubting you my friend, but it could just simply be a mental thing and the newer pertier balls gave ya a bit more confidence. I have shot round balls that look all chalky and oxidized and they load and shoot fine. But many things effect accuracy with the muzzleblaster humidity, wind, hot barrels, cold barrels, clean barrels, dirty barrels, patch lube, using lube, no lube, to much lube, not enough lube. etc etc etc. I would double check the ball sizes are the same diameter using a micrometer I have had mislabeled balls more than one time. Then again I have had fat and skinny round balls that I have poured as well.

I formerly bought Remington brand RBs which had a "green" covering that prevented oxidation. Are they still available?....Fred

Oxidation film has no affect whatsoever on ball performance. I've shot both and any difference is undetectable. Look elsewhere for the problem.

flehto said:
I formerly bought Remington brand RBs which had a "green" covering that prevented oxidation. Are they still available?....Fred

No unless you find some left over. That was Remington's golden plating like they use on their lead 22 bullets. I think I still have a hundred or so .530 Remington round balls left that have the gold colored plating. About 10 years ago our local Wal-Mart had a going out of Remington round ball business sale at $2 a box.

Bob

Thanks...I've still got a box of .530s. Don't think the oxidation affects accuracy but they surely do look "cruddy"....Fred

You can do like the "old timers" did and put 'em in your mouth and suck on 'em a while. They won't be shiny, but they won't have that white crud on 'em anymore either. Provided you don't live in California, of course. :wink:

Suck on enough of 'em and you likely won't care what they look like any more though. 'Cause you'll be :youcrazy: !!! Enjoy, J.D.

All lead balls can oxidize but it is only an appearance thing and has no effect on their performance.

Hawken-Hunter said:
I've been shooting a 54 GPR with good precision and accuracy. At some point I lost both precisioin and accuracy. I tried several things, but didn't see any improvement until I opened a new box of much shinny-er lead balls. My question is can store-bought balls go bad (oxidize?) and affect precision and accuracy?

All joking aside. The oxidation on those balls will not affect accuaracy or anything else.

If you don't want them to oxidise, get a smallish saucepan and melt some lube in it (beeswax, tallow etc). When it's melted swirl it around in the saucepan and pour it out, this will leave a coating in the pan. Next, put the balls in the pan and swirl around for a while, this will put a thin coating of lube on the balls. This will stop them oxidising.

Unfortunately, it also makes them a bit slippery to pick up :doh: .

And no, I don't do this myself (only once, by accident). I couldn't care less if they oxidise.

The only negative aspect of oxidized lead balls is that if you only wound an animal and after some time retrieve it, the lead oxide could get into the blood stream and you'd have "toxic meat"
.... :wink: .....Fred

Lead oxide wo't effect accuracy, but you should use care handling them. Lead oxide will flake off the balls and onto your hands. While lead oxide ( old time name - sugar of lead -) is sweet it isn't good for your health. :idunno: :hmm: :idunno:

ohio ramrod said:
Lead oxide wo't effect accuracy, but you should use care handling them. Lead oxide will flake off the balls and onto your hands. While lead oxide ( old time name - sugar of lead -) is sweet it isn't good for your health. :idunno: :hmm: :idunno:

For emphasis and clarification:
That previous post about sucking on them was a [strike][strike][strike]JOKE[/strike][/strike][/strike]
Do not put in your mouth!!! :nono: :shake:

Latest posts

Back