• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Texas Sporting Rifle, circa. 2013

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmdd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished my latest keep busy project. NOS TC .50 Cal. Hawken Barrel, L&R Lock, Davis Trigger, Pecatonica stock, furniture from e-bay....

That is a gorgeous stock and an all-round beauty!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for being so kind. After my first attempt at building a long rifle came out like a chunky fence post :barf: , I have done a few keep busy projects like this while I try and grow eyes to really see what a long rifle should look like. I think I will try another long rifle build soon, mebbe it will come closer to what a long rifle should be...I know I will never come close to the level that most of the forum members are at, I have a good time trying... :grin:

Thanks Scott, the wood is Pecatonica's CM4. I learned here on the forum if you use nice wood people over-look the flaws... :haha:

I have been considering doing a similar project with a GM .50 caliber with the 1:28 twist. Did you determine your own length of pull and fit the butt plate? Pecatonica says they leave the butt long and let you do that.? How do you like the lock trigger combo?
Again that is a stunning looking stocking job :thumbsup:

Being a lanky 6'4" I wanted the trigger pull to be about 15", however by the time I got the butt plate placed how I wanted it, it came out a little over 14 1/2" :haha: The lock spring is really stout and I think this causes the trigger to be a little harder to pull, but then again I can probably do a little adjusting there. Over all I am happy with the way it turned out. I really like the added drop at the heel, much easier to shoulder and aim. :wink:

I used Birchwood-Casey Walnut stain, just brushed it on and then wiped it down with a wet towel. :grin:

You have what a good friend oif mine would call his Dream rifle

That is absolutely beautiful

:hatsoff:

Back