• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alaskan Brown Bear.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkmemmott

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I am a newcomer to the sight, but I have enjoyed hunting with traditional black powder rifles for several years and love it more and more every time I go out to shoot them. I do have a question though. I have always wanted to hunt an Alaskan Brown Bear with a flintlock and a round ball. I am looking into a big bore flintlock and need some advice on which caliber would be the best. I have shot a 10 bore jeager rifle with a 670 grain ball and 180 grains of 2f powder and really enjoyed it. In fact my wife shot it 3 times and didn't have a problem with it. I have always liked the big guns and am looking to build one of three calibers, (66, 72, or 10 bore). Could I get your opinion on these three for hunting the Alaskan Brown Bear, moose and other large North American game. Thank you,

Kent Memmott

I would go the 10bore ,but any of your cals would work if driven hard , make sure you have back up in the form of a budy with a modern gun up to the task , carry some catgut needles and ointment just in case and spare underwear and toiletpaper .

Moose, not a problem, just range and shot placement. Alaskan brown bear. Top predator in the food chain, strong, fast, nasty disposition. I've shot several, and my weapon of choice was not a single shot muzzleloader. I'd be interested in our Kodiak residents opinion. :v

First find a guide that will let you do it. Those I know refuse, including two that are lifelong muzzleloaders. Be a shame to get all dressed for a party and have to leave the muzzleloader at home.

Wow, a grizzly or brown bear is nothing to play with! Shot placement is absolutely critical and even with a modern back-up you might want your bp to be a double barrel. The biggest gun you can shoot accurately is the wisest choice!!!!

Hi Kent,
Happy to have a new member here.
If I were hunting Alaskan Brownies, I would use the .72 double rifle Kodiak, or bare minimum would be the double .58 with minie ball.
Anything smaller would be the Nock volley gun, and very fast turbo running shoes. :shocked2:
Considering my age and agility, I think I'll go back to hunting the very agile and dangerous black/grey squirrel :redface:
Old Ford

Old Ford said:
Hi Kent,
Happy to have a new member here.
If I were hunting Alaskan Brownies, I would use the .72 double rifle Kodiak, or bare minimum would be the double .58 with minie ball.
Anything smaller would be the Nock volley gun, and very fast turbo running shoes. :shocked2:
Considering my age and agility, I think I'll go back to hunting the very agile and dangerous black/grey squirrel :redface:
Old Ford
I have a 58 Kodiak double and was warned by the muzzleloading shop I bought it from to only to shoot the combination of 2 balls, or one ball one mini-ball-buffalo bullet combo. They stated the recoil has been know to unseat the other mini-ball/maxi/buffalo bullet when the first shot goes off. The warning was if you shoot anything other than both balls, have one barrel with a ball and fire the barrel with the mini-ball/maxi/or buffalo bullet first, or else the recoil can jar the other round loose since it doesn't fit as tight as a round ball. I have followed the warning but does anyone else have an opinion. :eek:ff

Any old gun will do if you go with me. If you don't drop it with the first shot, I'll stare it down while you reload :thumbsup:

72 Cal. said:
Hello, I am a newcomer to the sight, but I have enjoyed hunting with traditional black powder rifles for several years and love it more and more every time I go out to shoot them. I do have a question though. I have always wanted to hunt an Alaskan Brown Bear with a flintlock and a round ball. I am looking into a big bore flintlock and need some advice on which caliber would be the best. I have shot a 10 bore jeager rifle with a 670 grain ball and 180 grains of 2f powder and really enjoyed it. In fact my wife shot it 3 times and didn't have a problem with it. I have always liked the big guns and am looking to build one of three calibers, (66, 72, or 10 bore). Could I get your opinion on these three for hunting the Alaskan Brown Bear, moose and other large North American game. Thank you,

Kent Memmott

I have a rifle that shoots a .662 ball at about the same velocity as a 12 slug, 1600 fps with 140 gr of FF Swiss. Forsythe said this was about the smallest anyone would use for dangerous game, he hunted in India in the 1850s-60s with a 69 (14 bore) using powder charges almost identical to what I shoot from my 16 bore.
Bigger is always better, to a point and I would want 1500 fps so the rifle will shoot flat to 100 yards or so. A 10 bore at this velocity is going to be pretty nasty and the larger bores are heavier and not as easy to handle. The problem with the larger bores is velocity and how well they can be shot.
The heavy recoil and barrel time of a large caliber heavily loaded RB rifle can produce fliers from slight differences in how the gun is mounted and held. This is why LR benchrest shooters (1000 yards) use small bore rifles like the 6mm Dasher.
The rifle must be very carefully stocked as an English Sporting rife would have been. Track of The Wolf sells a drawing of an original Purdey percussion rifle and by lengthening the forend for 2 keys its perfect for a late 18th early 19th c FL sporting rifle as well. A Jaeger will work as well but the English design is best.
I see little need for a ball larger than about .735" (600 grains) mostly for the velocity thing. This is a choice you will have to make. Shot placement will be the important part. A properly placed 437 grain ball is better by far than a poorly placed 700 gr ball. I would also shoot a hardened ball, wheel weight alloy.
This will greatly enhance penetration and bone breaking capability. Soft lead balls that encounter heavy bone will deform dramatically. Hardened balls were the standard for large game in Africa and India.
People hunt Africa with RB MLs so I see no reason ML would not work fine for anything in AK. The guy I read about who shot Cape buffalo used 8 bore percussion rifles and had a pair of them made. So if you can arrange a gun bearer a second rifle is an option. Paper cartridges work well with no patch and shoot to point of aim to at least 50 yards. Can drastically cut reload time with a little practice.

If you can find a guide go for it. If the shot is placed well a large bore RB is certainly adequate.
I would recommend Swiss BP. If will give the best velocity for a given charge weight. Huge powder charges are not needed. In the 1930s John Taylor was killing African Elephant (13 good bulls) and Rhino with a 10 bore and 167 gr of powder. This is detailed in his book "Pondoro". His concern was the lack of stopping power/penetration for head shots to stop a charging Elephant. So he did not place himself in that position.

Shoot the rifle a lot and be SURE you can place the shot. Hunting non-dangerous game with it is excellent practice as well since it will show what you can do in the field.
If you can get a set of castings from the Rifle Shoppe for a late Manton FL and have Bob Roller make all the guts for it you will have a good lock. This is not a rifle to "short cut". Rifling twist need be no slower than 72" maybe 80" regardless of what some are hyping for "Forsythe rifling". Narrow lands and a moderate twist will shoot all the powder the bore diameter will use.
My 16 bore rifle has an 80" twist. A friend has a 66 twist 69 caliber and can shoot very heavy charges from it with no problems so don't get sucked in to a 120" twist. What the makers do not realize is that Forsythe was using barrels with a different rifling form than is used today by most makers Nor, SFAIK, did he test twists in the 60-72 inch range.
Nor do you need 2000 fps. You need a good accurate rifle that you cans shoot well with a ball of adequate size for the game. Soft lead simply did not provide the penetration needed on Elephant.
When he ran out of hardened balls for the smooth 10 bore Taylor stopped using it and eventually his ammo arrived for his "moderns".
He did say this in closing the section about using the 10 bore.
"Men with their modern breech-loaders and repeaters are all too much inclined to sneer at the muzzle-loader. But a good muzzle-loader, properly handled, is a very deadly and effective weapon---provided its limitations are fully realized."

If a hunter hunts Brown Bear or any other dangerous or even non-dangerous game and blows the shot there will be problems. Don't matter what the muzzle energy is or how fast it can be shot.
In the 1960s a Hollywood stunt man Killed an African Rhino with a 58 flintlock loaded with 2 balls and a heavy charge of powder. It was written up in Muzzle Blasts. I have the issue somewhere but have not time to look for it.

Dan

BrownBear said:
First find a guide that will let you do it. Those I know refuse, including two that are lifelong muzzleloaders. Be a shame to get all dressed for a party and have to leave the muzzleloader at home.

Such a hunt is my dream also. I have made inquiries and asked folks, such as BB, about the possibilities. Most guides will refuse to take a hunter on such a trip. Blackpowder cannot be transported. I'm told not even on the bush plane to the hunting camp.(not positive about that though) And, Oh! :shocked2: Another factor, cost. Figuring everything from transportation from your home and back plus guide, tags, equipment, taxidermy, new underwear, etc., figure on spending upwards of $30,000.00 for the dream hunt.

Rifleman1776 said:
...guide....

Worth emphasizing that non-residents are required by law to hire a guide, or hunt with a close relative. Don't recall the term the regs use, but basically it would have to be your son or daughter, father or mother. Cousins won't cut it.

And $30k is a pretty good round number.

One of my muzzleloader shooting buds is a 30-year brown bear guide who does all his personal hunting with flintlocks. He comes from a family of muzzleloaders and has done it all his life. He sums up muzzleloader brown bear hunts in one word:

NODAMNWAY!!!!!

Another bud is a career pro muzzleloader builder, dating back to the days he was a smith for Green River Rifle Works in the 70's. When he moved here he was hot to pop a bear with a flinter, and started planning a 75 caliber. In the interim he got a bear tag and decided to take one first with his 375 H&H. Did it, and I haven't heard him mention a muzzleloader hunt since. Hmmmmmmmm. :rotf:

I mostly bowhunt with a longbow, and would hunt brown bear with one also. You have to pick your encounters and your shots. I don't think hunting big bears with a muzzleloader would be any different. I wouldn't hesitate to use my 62 hawken, with round ball and 180 gr 2f, for brown bear. My choice for a shot would be less than 40 yards. The closer the better. Shot placement is critical, just like with the bow.

Regardless of what rifle or caliber you choose, never hunt dangerous game with anybody you can't outrun. Just sayin . :hatsoff:

http://commerce.alaska.gov/dnn/cbpl/ProfessionalLicensing/BigGameCommercialServicesBoard/GuideUseAreas.aspx

This is a constantly updated list of contracting big game guides in Alaska by the GMU(s) that they have registered to hunt in. Once you find a name here most of these guides have websites that you can easily Google. If the first guide you call won't take a BP hunter ask them if they know who might. There are even guides who specialize in taking bow hunters after grizzlies like Tom Kirstein. You should really watch his videos first. :shocked2:

Great Northern Guns in Anchorage says they have real black powder or you can suck up the $20.00(?) hazmat fee and ship it to your guide's camp. You might want to consider doing a multi-species hunt (wolf, black bear, deer, wolverine, etc...) but regardless of whether or not you make a harvest you will have an adventure.

There is no way in hell I would hunt a brown bear with a single shot flintlock, cap lock or double barrel version of either, regardless of caliber!

I'd want something that is modern, that produces a massive amount of shock, and it must reload fast!

Grizzly bears don't play games, they play for keeps and have the moxi to back it up.

Great Northern Guns is just around the corner from me and have bought supplies and guns from them for 40 years. They keep BP on hand.
I've hunted Browns on Kodiak twice and both times my hunting pardner was successful and I've never got to shoot but I watched them both go down and had to go into the alders after them using moderns. I would not have wanted to be on the same hill top with the first as it took two 180 Noslers through the heart and lungs and managed to tear up the top of the hill before expiring.
The second lived long enough to dive into the Alders before expiring and that will make you age rapidly, going into, to finish them. He was stone dead when we found him but must have aged five years in that tangle until we spotted him.
In my mind the weather conditions often found where the big Brownies live is the main danger factor when using flinters. When a wind driven soaking rain starts you can't keep anything dry let alone a pan and frizzen. I don't believe a cows knee or hammer stall would do the trick and if one comes on the quick you will have no time to remove either. When it's raining sideways every thing is wet and you don't usually get to hunt them on Kodiak or the Peninsula in non stop blue bird weather. Mike D.

Cynthialee said:
There is no way in hell I would hunt a brown bear with a single shot flintlock, cap lock or double barrel version of either, regardless of caliber!

I'd want something that is modern, that produces a massive amount of shock, and it must reload fast!

Grizzly bears don't play games, they play for keeps and have the moxi to back it up.

I agree 100% plus shooting one at 40 or 50yds? :youcrazy: Even if you make a good shot he can be on you an kill you before you can mess your pants.

I can see the appeal to a brown/grizzly hunt with a black powder weapon. IF you can bag one it doesn't matter what anyone else says. Living in the South-East now I had not even thought about looking for a wounded monster in alder thickets with a muzzle loader.

This is one of the reasons non-residents need licensed guides. "Second degree kinship" relatives who are legal Alaska residents can also potentially guide non-residents for brown/grizzly, goat, and sheep.

Maybe it would not be a bad idea to come up on a self guided "easy" hunt or fishing trip first to get a taste for the weather and terrain. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/

I have given a little thought to one of these Kodiak bison "ranch" hunts with maybe a paper cartridge Sharps (and the whole get up): http://www.chiniak.net/buffalo/ Even though the cost is much lower even before the possible offset of hundreds of pounds of prime bison in the freezer I'll probably never spend that much on myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back