• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majg1234

45 Cal.
Reaction score
well ya'll I've been looking for a .50 Hawken style rifle for another grandson.This little guy had seen my other grandsons resurrected rifle last year and wanted to join us in our ML hunts.I'd looked for a good bit and almost bought a couple but being frugal(tight :wink: ) :wink:I'd not spent any $$ yet.Then #1 grandson mentioned a ML he'd seen in a LGS over the weekend.Well went to look and a 45 cal TC Hawken kit gun followed me home.It is pretty well put together,fit is good oil finish on a pretty good piece of walnut.The cold blue job looks good just appears to be an older gun.The gun is not labeled "HAWKEN" just has the TC manufacturing stuff on the barrel.The bore is Grrrrreat.Rear tang has the peep site extra hole.Only 2 issues are it is a 45 Cal,I probably can fix this with a rebore or barrel and I paid the grand sum of $120 OTD for it :grin: :grin: I'll try to post some pix later just had to tell someone :thumbsup:

M:
Keep the .45 barrel, don't rebore. Get a green mountain barrel for it or another t/c barrel.
Nit Wit

not a problem with 45's got several,2 Cherokees,1 Seneca two other TC Hawkens one of which is a flinter.I was just dead set on a 50 for the boy to match his cousins.It would also make logistics easier if we were all carrying the same caliber on a weeks hunt.

Man I have been looking for tomato stakes! Your right about the 45! I will not kill a thing! I'll buy it off of you for $150. :rotf: :rotf: I have mentioned several times that when I got into MLR's in the late 60's a 45 was considered a big bore! A Texas Game Warden that I knew killed his deer every year with a 36. I guess it is a good thing they had not read the new books! Geo. T.

60 grain of 3F and RB shoots pretty darn good out of my 45 T/C Hawkens. I picked this gun and a bag full of accessories up for $60.00 at a local gun shop. Young man inherited it from his granddad and didnt want it, the gun shop owner gave him 50.00 and turn around and sold it to me for 60.00. I rebued the barrel and been very happy with it so far. My gun is an older one too, serial #34xx. Mike

I got a TC Hawken 45 cal. It likes 75 grains of pyrodex. Shoots a real nice group with a prb. Now if I could ever draw the muzzleloader pronghorn tag here in Idaho I'll be set.

I hear you on logistics. Kinda thought that's what you were referring to as being a problem. Keeping things simple does have it good points. :hatsoff:

When I got my TC 45 caliber Hawken, the guy told me he was using 70 grains of Triple Seven 2F and inclosed a tiny group he shot with it. No need to fix what isn't broke. That load shoots real well out my rifle and has even taken a deer with it. I'm using Hornady .440 balls, and ox-yoke orginals pre-lubed patches of 15 thousands.

yep agree with all nothing wrong with a 45,but if he takes his 45,the other grandson takes his 50 and I take my 54 or 58 well you see....but wait #1 grandson could use his 45 cal Cherokee,#2 could use his 45 Hawken and grandpaw could use his 45cal Seneca or either 45 cal Hawken in flint or percussion well I own too many of these things to make any meaningful decisions.....nope none for sale :rotf:

I haven't seen any .45 cal T/C Hawken rifles - Are you sure it isn't an unmarked Seneca ?

The barrel measurement, across-the-flats, will tell the tale, for sure: Hawken's/Renegade's measure 15/16" or 1" ; Seneca's/Cherokee's measure 13/16".

The reason I raise the point is that a .50 rebore or a .50 drop-in bbl for a thinner Seneca is problematic, for stock, breechplug, and pressure reasons.

( My unmarked T/C measures out to be a Seneca - but not a kit gun, since no "K" in the SN )

I have a 45 t/c hawken, not a kit gun. They exist, and I know where there are a few for sale right now.

Yep they are out there. currently I own 3 of them,The one I just bought,a flinter and another pristine capper all are Hawkens in 45cal with 15/16th barrels,also own 2 Cherokee in 45cal 1 Cherokee in 32cal and a Seneca in 45 cal and 36 cal of course these guys are in 13/16ths.

Latest posts

Back