• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA kit from late 70s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warhawk77

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was talking to my dad about muzzle loaders and he told me "You have that one hanging on the wall, its been there sense you left it there." It took me a few mins but I do remember the rifle but I haven't seen it in 15-20 years well before I had any interest in BP. I got him to get it down and tell me what was stamped on it(I live 550 miles away). Going down next month to see family and I will pick it up then for sure.

He bought it as a kit in the late 70s. He told me he had to blue the barrel and finish the wood but doesn't remember much else. I remember him shooting it on new years and July 4th.

On the barrel it says Connecticut Vally Arms 50 Cal-- Black powder only -- USA -- and S/N nothing else. It uses caps and has a door in the stock for patches I'm guessing. It is missing the trigger guard but he thinks he has it in a closet and will look.

As it was my fathers I will never sell it so worst case it will be a wall hanger. But if they are good shooters I will be using it.

Anyone know much about these? I don't know a length, twist, or anything other then what I listed.

My guess is that it's a CVA Mountain Rifle. IMO, pretty good quality and were pretty good shooters. A lot of people started shooting blackpowder starting off with one.

I had one that I picked up at a pawn shop for a song. My dad has it now and it still shoots great. After you get the rifle make sure it is not loaded; and fix the trigger guard, probably will need to fill the screw holes and redrill. Oh yeah, make sure the spoder webs and dead insects are cleaned out of the brl too!

I agree with the others, it sounds like a Mountain Rifle with the Made in USA marking in it. The only one that had that marking that I am aware of. They were excellent shooters. I have one and also have a Kentucky CVA of that time period that shoots good as well. The mountain rifle looks somewhat like a Hawken rifle with putter furniture and the nose cap on the stock will be flat on the end. If you can't find the trigger guard you can easily get a new one or p/u one on ebay.

I had one in the mid 70's. The barrel had chatter marks all the way down and it out shot most of the other rifles in our club. I have always regretted selling it. Geo. T.

Didn't want to start a new tread so going to add it here.

Sounds like I don't have ram rod for the rifle.

Can you make one from a dowel rod or do they have to special? I would be worried the cleaning patch would come off and stick in the barrel.

I don't know that I'd just go buy a dowel rod, I would go to one of the muzzleloading supply sites and buy a hickory ram rod. I'd also get a brass tip to take the cleaning accessories. In fact, I'd get two and make one into a range rod. I'd also buy a patch worm, cleaning jag, ball puller. Instead of a hickory range rod, I personally use a one piece metal rod.

Since you have your check book or credit card out, you might as well buy extra nipples, nipple pick, powder measure, short starter, powder flask or horn, and I'm sure I'm leaving something else out. Of course powder and caps, but I'd look local for them.

I hope you didn't think you were going to get off easy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to get off easy but no surprise it won't be as easy as I hoped. Got to spend money to have fun right?

I was looking last night at a local store for powder and caps. The other items I was looking at prices so I know whats a deal online.

You do not want to just go get a dowel rod make it work. Regular dowel rods can split and go through your hand. Get a good hickory one like stated or get one of the non wood synthetic rods they sell.

I have a CVA Hawken that is near 20 years old in 50 caliber. It not only looks good, but shoots pretty fair. Based solely on what I just got from Lyman (GPR), the quality of those older CVA's is much better.

I tried that. It broke second time I used it and carved a nice groove down my arm. Not straight enough grain to take the strain. Either get some hickory blanks or go for a ready made. They also make good synthetic and brass rods.

I picked up a CVA Hawken 50 off GB with inlaid brass stock it shoot fair but got to looking th groves are filled with crud so soaked it in Penetrating oil. Better but needs more, how about carburetor cleaner?

I have a CVA mountain rifle i bought in 1977 its still my hunting rifle those early models were made in the USA and used GREEN MOUNTAIN BARRELS very accurate when you find the right load.

They are very accurate, many say the best CVA put out in the traditional line,
But the barrels where never Green Mountain Barrels.

They where made off the mythical "Douglas" machines, and only the first few hundred. The rest of the made in USA barrels where made in Spain.
Deer Creek Products bought the Douglas machines decades ago and still use them to make CVA and Traditions replacement barrels.
Trust me friend, this has been hashed around on this forum for the last 4-5 years now and the info has been fairly well compiled.
Right down to first hand conversations with the man that developed the gun.
Tuff part is their all dead and gone now, and CVA Corporate could care less about the old rifles.

I have an early CVA .45 flintlock (one with the wide brass stock band). It still shoots straight and the lock sparks every time. The only marking on the barrel is Spain. To me it's a keeper and a blast (sorry for the pun) to shoot.

Back