• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

problem with patch box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The sliding patchbox lid on my American long rifle slid open on it's own today. First time that has ever happened. It is special fine rifle and losing the lid would be a serious matter. The spring latch on the lid is pinned on and not removable. The butt plate is probably removable but not a desirable thing to do. Both the nib on the latch and the edge of the buttplate where it catches are worn. The lid is opened infrequently, but in 40 years even infrequent has been enough to cause this wear. I'm considering permanently glueing it closed but that is a last resort option. Any suggestions?

patchbox.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I know this is no help as far as keeping it closed”¦ but as for an added measure of insurance- I’ve seen a few boxes pinned on the inside of the cavity with a string connected to another pin on the patchbox lid.
Anyhow, I hope someone has some ideas to give it a better fit so you don’t have to glue it.

I used JB Weld to reattach a nib that busted off my patch box spring. Held up for nearly two years now. I just try not to get in and out of it very often.

The notch on the spring latch can be refiled square, and a little slip of steel soldered onto the inside of the buttplate to repair and reinforce the worn spot, and all filed and fitted back together again. :wink: The buttplate will, of course, have to be removed, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Rifleman1776 said:
It is special fine rifle and losing the lid would be a serious matter. .... I'm considering permanently glueing it closed but that is a last resort option. Any suggestions?
Here's what I did, and it has worked out very well.

Spence

The cover is back in place and repaired. :applause: A well known builder who finished several rifles for the builder of this rifle when his health did not allow him to work anymore offered to do the repair. There could not be a more qualified person for the job. He did the repair and would not accept payment or even shipping costs. I am deeply indebted to him.
buttbox.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Back