• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgf47

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello
I need help in identify maker and date of a sxs gun that my cousin just game me. He says belonged to our grandfather or great grand.
28in barrel ,percussion muzzle loader,side plates have Moore on them along with lots of scroll work, between barrels near breach Scott&Son a little further up London Fine Twist. I have some picture but don't see how to post them

Unfortunately, you have to be a premium member in order to post photos anywhere other than the "For Sale" section. :idunno:

Billnpatti said:
Unfortunately, you have to be a premium member in order to post photos anywhere other than the "For Sale" section. :idunno:

Unless there was a recent change I don't know about that's wrong.
I'm not a premium member and I've posted pictures several times.

I have photos in a different post ,,,
P S what is aprox. $$ value

but being Granddad's priceless

William Mooore was a stock maker, gun maker, and gun marketer operating first in Birmingham and then also in London over much of the earlier 19th century. He also partnered with both a Harris and a Grey, selling guns with both of those names as well as his own. I have focused on William Moore rather than Charles because one Moore's companies was sold at auction to a Moore Harris and Richards (probably Westley) in 1864, and this partnership was purchased by WC Scott the following year. Many of the Moore guns were Birmingham made and produced for export (also true for WC Scott).

Thus, it is entirely possible (though hardly certain) that your gun was produced by/for that 1865 company using both Moore and Scott's name. Scott barrels and Moore lock and stock for example. Fine London Twist was not a legal term, sort of like "Pontiac Le Mans".

I have a Moore and Harris and it is a well made gun. I also have a WC Scott--a long respected maker of solid, but not luxury market, guns. It's been ridden harder that the Moore and Harris.

Googling Moore and Harris should produce the short history that includes the info posted here. PM me if you would like me to e-mail it.

Keb said:
Unfortunately, you have to be a premium member in order to post photos anywhere other than the "For Sale" section.
Really? I didn't know that.

How do photos show up in the photo section?

Maybe a moderator can clarify the rules for us non-premium members.

rde

To complete the ideas on these guns, the marks on the underside of the barrel need to be seen. Many, many Belgium guns used British gun makers names to help them sell their guns.The proof marks under the barrel will complete the tale. Wm. Moore is not the same person or maker as William Moore.

I'm not a premium member. If you can see the pic it's a live pigeon gun, London proofs, marked Wm. Moore London on the barrel and nowhere else...

10 bore and weighing in at 5 lbs you have to be very careful how you load it :surrender:

moore.jpg

moore2.jpg

Thanks Robin, though I could have sworn I have seen some Belgian guns marked as such. But then again, I may have forgot.

There are an awful lot of Belgian guns marked Moore. The Belgians went on to perfect the Damascus twist barrel, some of that late Belgian twist is to die for. Why they didn't put their own names on I do not know, perhaps it was all leading to the Fabrique Nationale.

Here's yer pictures:
DSCN1571.jpg

DSCN1570.jpg

DSCN1568.jpg

I've a "W&C Scott & sons" marked locks sxs 12ga.

I'd say any old double is worth about $400.00 if in shooting condition, tops. Less if unusable or "wall hanger" condition.

Squire Robin said:
There are an awful lot of Belgian guns marked Moore. The Belgians went on to perfect the Damascus twist barrel, some of that late Belgian twist is to die for. Why they didn't put their own names on I do not know, perhaps it was all leading to the Fabrique Nationale.

Yep. I have one of those barrels, new in the white, that I haven't seen in more than ten years. :( Beautiful, but that's another story.

Well, gentlemen, apparently I was wrong. In which case I apologize for my misinformation. Now, I will have to figure out how to add a picture to one of my posts when I want to. Right now, I have no idea just how it is done because I have found no "attachment" button to click on to add a picture. Can anyone forgive my ignorance and tell me how it is done?

BillnPatti -- I can't speak to how others attach images, but here's how i normally do it.

First go to a image hosting site like www.photobucket.com. You will generally need to create an account at this site. You can upload photos from your computer to the image hosting site, or often there's an option to email them in. It will all depend on the hosting site. If you run into trouble in this area shoot me an email and I'll try to take some screenshots to walk you through loading them to photobucket.

Once you've got them on photobucket, if you click on the picture you're interested there are usually some options down below for embedding the image into forum posts, either whole or as a clickable thumbnail. Simply copy the code out of the appropriate little box and paste it into your forum post.

Voila, Robert's your Father's Brother!

If you use the full featured reply (as opposed to the quick reply) on the forum you will likely see a bunch of stuff around the reply box. off to the left are some smilies. Way up above is an icon option for your post. Immediately above the left side of the box where I'm typing right now are a series of buttons that include Bold, italics, underline etc. One of these buttons looks like a sun over a mountain. This is the "Image" button. If you have a url to an image you'd like to share here you can simply click that button and enter the url, and it will show up!

Some (not all) forums have the option to "attach" an image, but almost all forums allow you to embed images using {img}{/img} or {image}{/image} codes (only the real codes use square instead of curly brackets)

Hope that helps! If not shoot me an email and I'll try to get you sorted.

-GB

P.S. To keep this post from being entirely off topic -- nice looking double gun! I'm hoping to get a nice SXS percussion eventually, but it might have to stand in line behind a smoothbore flintlock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back