• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Joyce, Roberta, and Denise at the Friendship Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Were the lady working at the shoot, as I had heard they were to be layed off by the NMLRA some time in June. Three Long time NMLRA Employees that always came to Phoenix, and worked their back sides off?

As always when you post your rumors and B.S. about NMLRA one has to wonder why a long time non-member is so concerned with our affairs. Any member is welcome to contact directors and officers with all concerns and questions. We just finished an extremely successful spring shoot, thanks for asking.

dixie said:
As always when you post your rumors and B.S. about NMLRA one has to wonder why a long time non-member is so concerned with our affairs. Any member is welcome to contact directors and officers with all concerns and questions. We just finished an extremely successful spring shoot, thanks for asking.

Rumor no, as I was told this by a very good information source at the Western, by someone who is very close to the NMLRA. IMHO most of the rumors and B.S. about NMLRA come straight from the NMLRA Directors mouths. It is called broken promises to Western Members.

Nice you had a SUCCESSFUL Spring Shoot, too bad that can not be said about the Western, but that too is fact. Why was saying something about that part of the reply.

BTW Dixie it is Ex Member, Ex Field Representative, and NEVER TO BE MEMBER AGAIN BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU, AND OTHER ON THE NMLRA BOD, who's only focus is Friendship IMHO.

I'm really sorry you are so mad at the NMLRA, they are mostly volunteers who try their best. We now had a new Board member from Az., and he is the new Field Rep Coordinator. Most of the problem is simply distance. How about this for a interesting tidbit, I think more people go from England than California the the Fall Shoot at Friendship. BTW, whenever I want to information from the NMLRA I am given the the correct person to talk with and gotten the info needed.

Michael

meanmike said:
BTW, whenever I want to information from the NMLRA I am given the the correct person to talk with and gotten the info needed.
Most people contact organizations directly, but he doesn't want information, he wants to complain about the NMLRA to everyone here. It's just what he does, every chance he gets. No life I guess? :idunno:

Non-members have no say on the policies of the NMLRA. If you have something to say, become a member and make your voice heard.
Oh, I forgot, your quote:
"BTW Dixie it is Ex Member, Ex Field Representative, and NEVER TO BE MEMBER AGAIN BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU, AND OTHER ON THE NMLRA BOD, who's only focus is Friendship IMHO."
will not make that happen. I am truely sorry your AZ "rants" are just irrelevant.
Thank you for your insight, we had a very nice Spring Shoot and I brought another new member to the Association to enjoy our sport, so we can survive not having you around....

Actually the Western was also a success, profitable with average number of competitors, who left happy.These are the facts, although you don't really have an interest in facts. As was mentioned get a life!!

Never have been a member. Never saw a need for me to belong.
To far to drive to shoot my rifles ( either Friendship or the Western), when all I have to do is step outside and bang away.
Money that would go for membership is spent for powder, caps and lead.
Some people have a need to belong and that is ok. Not for me.

It is not about the need, it is about the want. If you want to compete with top shots from all over the US/world in their respective discipline in muzzle loading, there is no other organization which compares.
For strictly shooting my ML I would have not felt the need to join either, but certain matches you will never be able to shoot just in your backyard...

tecum-tha said:
It is not about the need, it is about the want. If you want to compete with top shots from all over the US/world in their respective discipline in muzzle loading, there is no other organization which compares.
For strictly shooting my ML I would have not felt the need to join either, but certain matches you will never be able to shoot just in your backyard...

Plus if in the end you are a big winner in Friendship, best shot, or what ever they call it you will go home with a $3.50 Shooting Medal.

Honestly that is the same IMHO as winning a trophy at your local Bowling Alley.

We have many group that shoot on a regular basis in Arizona who have an annual shoot that has CASH, or Merchandise Prizes. They don''t care where you live what you belong to, like a club.

Just pay your entry fee, listen to a MANDATORY SAFETY BRIEFING, and shoot you best to win.

Tecum-tha You have the right idea of Friendship. This spring shoot cost me approx. $1,300 to attend. I treat it as a vacation to meet new friends, compete with some of the best in the country and try events you don't see at clubs. Clubs can and do get fussy if you win and are not from their club, this cannot happen at NMLRA shoots! This year I went to many shoots that I never tried before,All treated me great. At Woodswalk, I meet new people, helped newby's,and competed with top shooters. At Primitive many people went out of their way to show me the "ropes" even though I won medals there.This is what Friendship is about, Not the 250 medals I could have bought at home!

Ok I decided I was going to post on this subject after all. I am a member and have never shot at the western or at friendship. I am a member because they help promote and protect a sport I love. Do I shoot alot of shoots yeap sure do and am very successful at it. Do I go to win prizes alone nope sure don't, I have won blanket shoots and left the top prize usually a slap together Hawkens kit, and opt out and take a cool looking knife I like, or something to add to the campsite. I am like shooting and going to the many different events because of the quality of the people, most are respectful and very polite and friendly and accept you with open arms. I am a military guy and move all the time, have shot all acrossed the country and have meet the greatest people in the world. Yes you run into some turds here and there or clubs that like outsiders as long as you don't win. I just showed up to an event last month and won the grand agg, and they treated me very well, invited me to stay and eat with them, and asked me to join their club which I did. I was't planning on shooting for the grand agg honor but had a great day shooting and throwing knife and hawk, and archery, the vice preisdent came up and informed me I had a good shot to win the grand agg but I needed to compete in the pistol event. I informed him I didn't plan on shooting pistol today and didnt bring mine, he said wait a second and went and got his and everything to shoot it. I hit half the targets and won the whole match. To me thats being treated well as an outsider at an event. Ohh I am also an NRA member but don't shoot their events either, also a BASS member but gave up competetive fishing for a while. Its what the organizations do for the sport, and not specifically what they do for me that makes the money and the magizines I get worth it. Just my take on the matter.

Thank you for putting into beautiful words what has in my head for days. Very well put. Just to add a little more, my wife an I use about 3 weeks vacation to travel to our favorite shoots to see friends and compete. It's a way of life for us.
Michael

dixie said:
Actually the Western was also a success, profitable with average number of competitors, who left happy.These are the facts, although you don't really have an interest in facts. As was mentioned get a life!!

Too bad the shoot started a day early on Tuesday, and there WAS NO BLACK POWDER for sale until Saturday. Couple of fellow I know said it was a fiasco, showing up to shoot, paying registration, targets fees, etc. Than sitting around twiddling fingers, and soaking up sunshine, with no powder.

Don't know what is average number of competitors means, as the number have gone down down down year after year.

I always go out to the Western to Trader Row, to do some shopping for supplies. This year the number of trader was less than last, per the norm. The traders are not coming to the Western, because as one trader told me the NMLRA is not even publicizing the event in the local press.

BTW Dixie aka Mr. NMLRA BOD MEMBER where you in Phoenix, seeing the real deal, or were you home, being told the party line by other BOD Members who always say everything is great.

akapennypincher said:
dixie said:

Too bad the shoot started a day early on Tuesday, and there WAS NO BLACK POWDER for sale until Saturday. Couple of fellow I know said it was a fiasco, showing up to shoot, paying registration, targets fees, etc. Than sitting around twiddling fingers, and soaking up sunshine, with no powder.

Don't know what is average number of competitors means, as the number have gone down down down year after year.

I always go out to the Western to Trader Row, to do some shopping for supplies. This year the number of trader was less than last, per the norm. The traders are not coming to the Western, because as one trader told me the NMLRA is not even publicizing the event in the local press.

BTW Dixie aka Mr. NMLRA BOD MEMBER where you in Phoenix, seeing the real deal, or were you home, being told the party line by other BOD Members who always say everything is great.

If you were a member of the NMLRA you would have been at the meeting Saturday night at the shoot and could "accurately" report on what happened to the delivery of the powder as was announced during the meeting.

Then you could report what the NMLRA did to get powder delivered and the major challenges put in place by the "City Of Phoenix" to have the powder delivered to Ben Avery which is 25 miles "north" of the city limits of Phoenix. Seems Phoenix is restricting BP delivery, not the NMLRA.

There is no BP sold in Phoenix, that is why you go TO the shoot, you can not buy BP in Phoenix.

The contractor the last 2 years has failed what she was "promised", the lady does not deliver as promised. She will not be back as a vendor.

Vendors, Marvin's wife had health challenges and he notified the shoot he could not attend and Log Cabin was snowed in on the way.

Any your answer is, leave your wife or drive through unsafe driving conditions?

Why are no Arizona clubs not shooting at the Western? Cannot compete at a National level.

Why go to a shoot with no powder? :youcrazy: Its too easy to get it mailed to you. I wouldn't go to a shoot without at least 2 or 3 pounds on me. The Ups man will drop it off at your front door 3 or so days after you order it. PowderInc.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard Eames said:
If you were a member of the NMLRA you would have been at the meeting Saturday night at the shoot and could "accurately" report on what happened to the delivery of the powder as was announced during the meeting.

Then you could report what the NMLRA did to get powder delivered and the major challenges put in place by the "City Of Phoenix" to have the powder delivered to Ben Avery which is 25 miles "north" of the city limits of Phoenix. Seems Phoenix is restricting BP delivery, not the NMLRA.

There is no BP sold in Phoenix, that is why you go TO the shoot, you can not buy BP in Phoenix.

The contractor the last 2 years has failed what she was "promised", the lady does not deliver as promised. She will not be back as a vendor.

Vendors, Marvin's wife had health challenges and he notified the shoot he could not attend and Log Cabin was snowed in on the way.

Any your answer is, leave your wife or drive through unsafe driving conditions?

Why are no Arizona clubs not shooting at the Western? Cannot compete at a National level.

The funny thing is Richard you have your information partially wrong.

In 2012 that was two years ago, the gentleman who was the Black Powder Vendor for the history Winter/Western Shoot did not make it as BATF, apparently took away his FFL, and BP License.

His first name was Don, and he traveled ever year to Ben Avery from Clarksvile, Arkansas. Threw Rain, Snow, and you name it. He was dependable.

BTW in 2012 Don told the NMLRA in plenty of time of his circumstances, and gave them notice of his not coming to support the shoot, and be there selling powder.

Don sold power to customers with proper ID, be they NMLRA Member or not, and did a lot of sale to BP Cartridge Shooters who came from all over the State of AZ because they knew Don would be set up at BASF at the same time the NMLRA was hosting a event there.

People were apparently told in 2013 there would be Powder For Sale at the shoot from DAY ONE that was Tuesday, and the Powder did not show up until late Saturday.

Yes you can not sell REAL BLACK POWDER in Phoenix City Proper, or City Limits if you choose to call them that, But we do have a local vendor in LEVEEN AZ, that is just South of the Phoenix City Limits. The Vendor is Thunderbird Cartridge Company, and they are the only Real BP Vendor in Maricopa County that I know of. Wonder why the NMLRA did not invite them as a vendor.

Why are no Arizona clubs not shooting at the Western is another false statement, as there have always been Arizona Muzzle Loading Club Members Shooting. Plus many Arizona Residents, and Winter Visitor who live all Winter in AZ who shoot the Western. Maybe not a whole club, but members of local clubs.

Also many of the locals pitch in and help with the shoot, like Jim Swanson, his son in law Pete, and his Best Right Hand Assistant, Donna Bald who for years never shot a round. I would like to have $100.00 for ever hour Swanson and his volunteers who were Arizona Residents donated over the years to keep the NMLRA Winter/Western shoot running.

I would like to have $10.00 for ever hour some Arizona Resident volunteered to the Winter/Western NMLRA shoot over all the years there has been a NMLRA Western/Winter Shoot, and would bet if they had not volunteered there would have been no shoot.

From where I stand the NMLRA Western or Winter Shoot has kind of been run like a Mickey “D’s” Franchise where the franchisee told corporate to paint the building solid black, paint the windows back, paint the doors black, don’t put up no golden arches, or highway signs say McDonald's ahead.

That there McDonald's just never did well, and never sold many burger, & fries due to lack of taking advantage of a great location, on a major road with lost of cars, trucks, motorcycle dring by daily, located in a city with a fairly big population of potential customers.

BTW Richard do you know the Ben Avery Shooting Facility host about 90,000 customers annually, (Add to that another 15,000-18,000 visitors for the two day Ben Avery Expot) most of who don't even know there is a NMLRA, because the NMLRA don't event sponsor an fairly cost effective advertisement on the Ben Avery Bulletin Board.

Ok then your not a member so why the hell do you care. You want to voice your opinion become a member. And if your so serious about your shooting why don't you have any powder if your going into a serious shooting match would make sense you would want to practice and have the same powder on hand prior to the event its called backwards planning. Example: I plan to shoot at the Western Event I ask myself what do I need to do to shoot. Step 1 have gun/powder/patches and balls enough to practice and shoot in the event. Step 2 Make travel plans. Step 3: Ensure I have evertything. ETC ETC ETC Regardless of whats promised you yourself or the other shooter should have been prepared to shoot when you got to the event and not been lazy and cheap enough to depend on someone else to cover down on you. Further more you could have told the other shooters where they could get powder locally as well, than they could have shot the event earlier and not have sat aroun from Tuesday until Saturday. I have never been to the Western nor Friendship, but when I go to the local shoots I bring my own gun, the powder, patches, and balls for it that I have know to work well and I practiced with, and ensure I have plenty of extra's to include a gun and ram rods. Just a curious question how was the food, was it bad as well. And in closing if your so butt hurt about it go to Friendship and have fun just quit crying about what a organization doesn't do for you when your not even a member to support them.

I shot at Friendship for 9 days this Spring and didn't buy any powder, even though I could see the bunkers from where I camped. My home supply is never allowed to run out so I had plenty with me. To echo 2 Tall, why would you go to a shoot without everything you need to shoot?

Many Klatch

Back