• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Hooked" on primitive hog hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Logan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I was going on a flintlock hog hunt but when I showed up my guide told me he didnt feel comfortable using a gun around his dogs so we would with a knife or take the hog alive. We did both. Okay stop reading now or move this post if you need too. I mentioned last week that I was going hog hunting so heres what happened. I took my Steve Baxter hand forged longhunter knife instead of my 54 smoothbore. I was disappointed at first, but after the dogs trailed and bayed a nice 150 lb sow and we wrestled her to the ground and I dispatched her with my long knife I was okay with it. Later that morning I helped catch a 300 lb. boar and got a nice tusk gouge in my left forearm as a souveiner. I was cleaning up the wound and was given some excellent advice that I found very comforting. " Dont worry about it, its bleeding and that is cleaning it for you, its food and smoking that will kill you, hog tusks dont kill hardly anybody compared to them. I wiped it off and headed back into the swamp hoping to catch another hog, but we didnt find another one. I am "hooked" you could say.

You really should use a bigger cal knife, at least a .62 for those man eaters. :rotf:

I absolutely loved it and will be going back. I met some great folks and saw some very different scenery from here in TN. I also saw my first diamond back rattler. If you have never been and you want to try it, send me a pm and I can get you in touch with somebody that will take you. I will try to post a pic of my knife on here later today.

Your braver than I am Tony. I seen a big boar kill a dog over in S.C. about 10 yrs back an he slashed open the dogs gut like a knife. Glad ya had a good time though :thumbsup:

My comment was tongue and cheek. Have taken many with knife or alive with dogs but most people dont believe me when I talk about it. Its a blast and THE most fun way to hunt them. Heck, anybody can shoot one. :v

Congrats on a fine hunt T.O. :thumbsup: I look for those pesky rascals to show up here on my place before to long . When they do I've got something for them. :wink:

Hand made longhunter knife made by Steve Baxter "Tennessee Whip". I always liked the knife but I am really proud of how it performed when called upon.
Okay rodwha here's a pic of my little souviener that I took just for you today. It could have been much worse. It was a little swollen for the first 2 days but it looks great now. The boar was an old one and tusks were broke and jagged instead of blade like daggers. I cannot wait to go again.

Looks like he gave you a little love tap. :grin:

I'm with Cynthialee! I'll be over here with my less primitive weapon(s)!

Can't wait to see how they respond to a .490" RB! I'll leave pig stickin' to you!

I'll pass thank you. I have killed them a lot of ways but I like them a little ways off! Geo. T.

No way would I get knife close to a hog. Hog killing like that could start a whole new TV series.
The 'bleeding' advice is good, to a point. Still, a bite from a critter has serious infection possibilities. Proper attention is important.
The knife you used is a nice one. But, personally, for stabbin' and stickin' I would want a substantial guard to prevent my hand from sliding down the blade. :shocked2:

I bet you would all like to put a knife in this. I dont really eat a lot of pork, but this stuff is excellent. Free range organic pork on the grill, I have to get another one soon.

Back