• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tool for adjusting front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am look for a tool which will allow for the adjustment of the front sight which is attached to the barrel by a dovetail. The sight in question is mounted on a PA Flintlock which has a 7/8 inch barrel.

There are several such tools on the market which are made for specific rifles such as the K98 Mauser. Usually most of these are similar to a C-clamp which allows for the sight to be pushed by turning a screw which pushes against the sight thus moving it. The problem is those made for a specific rifle will not work on a flintlock rifle barrel which has a larger diameter then modern cartage barrels.

Of course dovetail sights can be moved by striking the sight base with a hammer of course this method is not very precise in that it is difficult to adjust the strike of a hammer so that the sight is only move 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch.

Just place a small punch on the sight an hit it lightly with the hammer. I can easily adjust my front sight by those measurements.

very simple

Use anything that you think is softer that the sight, like a finish nail, a piece of brass is ideal. Tap the sight in the intended direction. When you decided that it is PERFECT then tap the doveail lightly to set the sight in that position so it can't move. Done.

It also helps if you put a witness mark on the barrel/sight so you can see exactly how far you've moved the sight.

Bakeoven Bill said:
It also helps if you put a witness mark on the barrel/sight so you can see exactly how far you've moved the sight.

I agree with this. And just use a marker or pencil so you can wipe it off when you're done. If you want permanent marks, use a center punch and make corresponding dimples on the sight and barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Of course I was well aware that hitting the side of a dovetail mounted sight would move it. The problem is that merely hitting the sight with a hammer, drift or punch is not very precision. In addition to black powder in my collection also have WWI and WWII rifles. The Russian Mosin Nagant and the German K98 Mauser each have a front sight adjustment tool which resembles a C-Clamp. Placing this on the barrel/sight by merely turning the screw in the clamp the front sight is easily moved in very minute amounts. These sight adjustment devices cannot be used on the flintlock since they will not accommodate the larger diameter of the flintlock barrel.

I don't think that using a hammer with a punch will give the same level of precision in moving the sight. Of course witness marks on both the barrel and sight base are most important in showing how much the sight has been moved.

This is one case where using a bigger hammer is not warranted. Use a small hammer. Use I understand what you mean because it is not measurable but it still gets the job done and it's fun doing so because you get to shoot more trying to see if it is corrected.

Sir,
Many of us do indeed make very minute and precise adjustment by using a tool to strike the side of the dovetailed sight base whether it's the front or the rear.
You can feel free to tell us how inaccurate that is to do and refuse to use the method as well as tell us that there is a tool for more modern firearms that will make precise adjustments that won't work on your flint lock because the barrel is too big all ya want.

The fact remains that very fine and precise adjustments have been made to dovetailed traditional sights using some kind of tool to strike the base of 100's of years.

If your hammer and your ability with this hammer will not make precise adjustments I might suggest that it's not the tool that's the problem.

Most adjustments are made with the rear sight. You are getting waaay too technical.Leave the front sight alone, unless your rear is way over to one side or the other.
Nit Wit

Seems like you know what you want and what your looking for. Try making it yourself. Then share your results with everyone on the forum. Might be something simple to make that we could all use. :thumbsup:

To start....when the front sight is first installed, a depth mike ensures that it is centered w/ the bbl. A nylon drift is used for adjustment. Eyeballing to center the front sight has been used in the past, but the eyes aren't presently "up to it"

From then on, the front sight isn't moved unless the rear sight can't do it alone and is way to one side....which is very rare w/ the Rice bbls which I use.

Because most of the front sights I use are brass, the nylon drifts don't damage the sight base.

Using a drift to adjust sights is an age old practice, but it depends on the "adjuster"...some have the "touch" and some don't. But for most, it works quite well if the dovetail/sight fit isn't too tight.....Fred

B-Squared and, perhaps, other manufacturers of gunsmithing tools have offered in the past a fixture that attaches to barrel or receiver to screw-adjust rear sights that are dovetailed to barrel. While not intended to adjust dovetailed front sights, a dovetail is a dovetail. I see no reason this tool would be no longer available by someone.

A call to Brownell's or Midway or other reseller will find one for you if they are still made.

Hope this helps.

I have never seen one for a MLR. A small brass hammer and a brass punch are permanent additions to my range bag. Geo. T.

Those are made to push sight blades that fit in to sight bases not sight blades in barrel dovetails. I have one and have been trying to come up with a good method of octagon barrel sight pushing. I have a couple of ideas but just haven't gotten around to making one up. I use brass with a taped end and nylon drifts.
One of my cartridge black powder guns has a front sight with a screw windage adjustment up front. These are needed some times for long range work and handy for setting up a calm air zero. Mike D.

SevenNotrump said:
I am look for a tool which will allow for the adjustment of the front sight which is attached to the barrel by a dovetail.
For heaven's sake. Just tap it over with light taps from a hammer. We're talking traditional muzzleloading here. :grin:

Claude said:
SevenNotrump said:
I am look for a tool which will allow for the adjustment of the front sight which is attached to the barrel by a dovetail.
For heaven's sake. Just tap it over with light taps from a hammer. We're talking traditional muzzleloading here. :grin:

Claude, stick around here a little longer and you will figure out a lot of guys do not understand "simple". Somebody is even talking about mathematics, ballistics, sumptin called "bc" and worse. :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf:

Back