• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New purchase, Blunderbus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct. The lock was changed the gent said I believe. And brass doesn't rust.

bessbattlesystem said:
She looks to be in good condition!!

I wonder if it will arrive BEFORE Victoria day??!!

Imagine, you just may be the only person to light her off since the 1820's.......Lots of history there!

I hope you will take some videos and pictures of the arrival and 1st shot!

I dont think its a good idea to fire a brass barreled gun leaching arsenic for 200 years.

Have you shown this to your Brit/pommie mates yet ? BC should be able to tell you what it is and all the details etc. :)

I've been looking at it. The lock is a replacement, the woodwork has been patched between lock and tang, touch hole moved maybe, a few mysteries to solve.

You don't get pictures until I have one with smoke coming out the end, which I plan to do on Sunday :thumbsup:

It feels chunky when you pick it up and the lock has a long lazy swing with lots of red sparks. I love it to bits :grin:

Capt. Jas. said:
I dont think its a good idea to fire a brass barreled gun leaching arsenic for 200 years.

He has a point -- Robin, don't eat any more apple seeds for the rest of your long life...

Firing an old brass barrel that has lost its structural integrity can make for a short life :v

Capt. Jas

Please explain? unless an item has been turning green from improper stroage or brougt up from 200 years of sitting on the sea bed... so how is a brass item that was in a stable inviroment how does arsenic leech from brass?
Please qualify your statement.....

Kabar2 said:
Capt. Jas

Please explain? unless an item has been turning green from improper stroage or brougt up from 200 years of sitting on the sea bed... so how is a brass item that was in a stable inviroment how does arsenic leech from brass?
Please qualify your statement.....

This is a new one on me too!

B.

I believe it was Kit Ravenshear who advised against shooting old English made blundsbuss barrels done in brass as they were high in content. Maybe some of his writings can qualify his statements with fact. I defer to his knowledge over mine on them since he was also very familiar with their specific manufacturing methods. That said, I will rephrase to say I would not shoot one but I am in no way a safety policeman. I after all blow down my barrel. :thumbsup:

I was of the understanding that brass barrels had a defined life span before bursting (400 shots as an example ) ) and the danger was with firing originals was has it fired 39 shots or 399 shots :)

Obviously I cannot say, "It will be safe to shoot".

That is called "tempting fate", considered reckless in the extreme and requiring wood to be touched while speaking the spell, "Touch wood" to get protection from the tree spirits.

Perhaps if I believe that nonsense, I should visit the Isle of Anglesey, which had strong druid connections, collect a piece of wood and build it into the stock as a sort of charm :thumbsup:

Can't even make a comment about leeching brass...but I've banged off a couple, through the years with no bad results. Also found that a fist full of empty .22LR cases policed up from the range will totally shred an old, used oil can! To paraphrase ole Davy Farragut, "Dang the portitos, full speed assunder!" :rotf:

Squire Robin said:
Obviously I cannot say, "It will be safe to shoot".

That is called "tempting fate", considered reckless in the extreme and requiring wood to be touched while speaking the spell, "Touch wood" to get protection from the tree spirits.

Perhaps if I believe that nonsense, I should visit the Isle of Anglesey, which had strong druid connections, collect a piece of wood and build it into the stock as a sort of charm :thumbsup:

:applause:

B.

I took it to the muzzle loading clay shoot and just before going home time I loaded her up. The 13 gauge wads and cards I was putting in my percussion shotgun fitted the blunderbuss perfectly.

I fired it twice then had to stop because something broke.

First shot was to see if it was okay to shoot. On the second shot I broke a left to right crossing clay.

Breaking any clay with a flintlock blunderbuss is enough to put a big smile on anyone's face. Smashing a crosser on your first attempt is something else. I did not want to lose the feeling by missing the next one so I stopped while I was ahead and the grin is still there.

I do not care what is wrong with this gun, I have had my moneys worth already :thumbsup:

YOU are the man! You bought a great gun, that most of us on the Forum would love to own, and used it for its' intended purpose. You didn't let fear of arsenic or of being the 400th shooter dissuade you. Keep smiling! Huzzah!

GOOD SHOOT'N Squire!! :thumbsup: Nice gun too.
Of all the guns I own, the blunderbuss still rates high on the "fun to shoot" list. Rick.

Cynthialee said:
I am glad it was clay that broke. You had me there for a second.
:blah:

I forgot to "touch wood" when I wrote that, on closer inspection an old crack has opened up.

It is about 3" long, this needs some thinking about :idunno:

crack.jpg

Latest posts

Back