• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help sourcing nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1987

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently inherited a muzzleloader of my grandfather's. After much research and inspection, I know it is an Antonio Zoli rifle/musket, but from what I have found it may be "related" to Navy Arms and/or Zouave.

From barrel inspection I have found that it is an Antonio Zoli gun, and "Made In Italy".

The side plate is stamped with an eagle and what looks like "HY SCORE ARMS".

The most reliable and identical muzzleloader I have found is the 1970's Antonio Zoli Buffalo Hunter.

The part in question is the nipple. Everywhere I have searched locally cannot help me, the major black powder supplier in Boise Idaho closed it's doors a few years back.

I ordered an NP1065 from Dixie Gun Works and the description of it was that it is an Ampco 5/16 x 24 nipple "For greatly enlarged rifle/shotgun nipple seats, four square shoulders. Designed for US muskets; a little heavier than the .315 steel nipple."

What I received was in a small envelope with "NP1065" hand written on it and stapled shut, however the nipple inside of it looks more like a 1/4" wide (threads) and measured out to a 27 thread pitch. Way to small.

I'm not sure if they sent/packaged the wrong part or what, but the nipple I have in the gun now measured .310" with the calipers and a 24 thread pitch. The description of the nipple on Dixie's website seemed to be the closest and I gave it a chance.

Does anyone know the exact sized nipple I should be using with this rifle? It has a #11 on it now, but I have been reading a lot online and it seems it may be possible to get a musket cap nipple for it as well. The contact on the hammer looks like a musket cap nipple would be better for it.

i wouls reccomend calling track of the wolf...they are very helpful ..plus as i found out ...regardless of brand you may havve to try a bunch of different nipples before you find one that fits....but call em i bet they can tell you which one

Might consider returning both nipples to Dixie and letting them match your original by sight. Has worked for me in the past, especially when confronted with odd European pieces, etc. They have an unbelievable number of old nipples they can check.

My Euro Arms Zouave takes a metric nipple. TOW should list this nipple as suitable for Italian made rifles but one should never say always. I've checked nipple thread dimension by using a machine screw to determine diameter and pitch. It's cheaper than buying four or five nipples to find one that fits. :)

Like Bryon said, Track of The Wolf is probably your best bet. I had a problem finding a set of replacement nipples for a revolver that I had. I sent them one of the nipples for them to match up. They sent me a set of six nipples of the correct size. But, before sending the nipple to them, give them a call and it is possible that they can tell you over the phone what nipple fits and can take your order over the phone as well. They are great folks who will bend over backward to help you get the part that you need. :thumbsup:

Your Zouave was made to use musket caps and your thread measurements agree with a 5/16-24 UNF (.312-24)* thread size.

Don't buy an "oversized" nipple unless the threads in your guns breech are severely worn.

Here's a link to Track of the Wolf's site showing a number of nipples that will work.

Do not buy the 8mm x 1mm nipple. It is basically a .315-25 thread if designated in American thread terms.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1

As for the nipple Dixie sent you it is totally wrong based on their own web site although as I mentioned, unless your guns nipple threads are badly worn you do NOT want an oversize thread (which their site says that nipple has).
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advan...l62mi5ske421rh1pd8g80&keywords=NP1065&x=6&y=8

Last edited by a moderator:
Back