• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shortages of round balls and caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybird14

36 Cal.
Reaction score
do you folkes think the shortages of round balls and cap lock primers is a long term problem or just a "hick-up" due to the latest general ammo shortage craze?

Good question.
I'll venture a guess the lead will remain hard to find because of all the environmental hype. Primers may also continue to be hard to find in retail stores because of the haz mat situation and a very small profit margin will discourage store owners from buying them.
For lead, one needs to work hard a developing the art of scrounging.
For primers, one must dig into the pocket book and order in large quantities.

I am afraid you could be right on both items.

I am just wondering if i should pick up a 209 primer conversion for mine. I have some 209's.

Hs anyone "made" thier own primer??

I did just buy a .490 round ball mold from track. The 1800 style.I'm looking forward to getting that. No wheel weight is safe.

I hate having to depend on big retailers.

Thanks!
JJ

jaybird, if you want to shoot olde timey style guns, do it as close to the olde timey way as possible. Fergit the 209 stuff.
Yes, try to stay with pure lead if possible.
A plumbing shop in my area went out of business a while back and a lot of junk 'n stuff is still in the back. I'l going to call the owners and ask for a deal on any lead they have there. That is scrounging at it's most basic level.

I make my own long bows and arrows and love to shoot the historic ways.... so..Way back when i should have bought a flintlock but who was to know we would have this issue.

And yes i'm a pretty good scrounger too. :)

I'm an American. I'll figure it out.

Try all your local scrap yards and local roofers for your lead. Those lead roof jacks are the best. I just picked up around 32 lbs of roof jacks an plummers lead from a scrap dealer on Monday. $1.00 a lb. Moulding your on Round balls is the way to go. As for Primers thats why ya should get a flintlock!! or see if you can convert yours. one less thing to worry about.

My scrap dealer sold me all i wanted for .20 cent a pound, my truck was dragging the ground when i left his shop.

I'm an American. I'll figure it out.

My kind of thinkin'. I'd like to have a beer with you some day.

If everyone remains cool and doesn't panic like the folks on the cartridge side of the fence... we should be able to acquire new supplies in a reasonable time frame..the BP manufactures can keep up with our normal demand, that being said :hmm: If everybody starts to panic and hoarding BP, lead, caps, flints like the cartridge folks then... we'll be in the same boat...and no one will be able to go to the range on the weekends to shoot.. or enjoy our favorite hobby... :surrender:

I'd take it as a reminder that supply hiccups can happen at any time. It's not like it's never happened before. Casting turns out to be really easy (kicking myself I didn't start it earlier) and powder and percussion caps seem to have a long shelf life. Keep at least a years worth on hand and you won't have to worry if your local shop is out of your favorite cap brand for a while. None of this including lead takes up very much space.

I haven't found any #11 caps for over 2 months. I converted my latest caplock rifle to flintlock, and stocked up on powder. I'm set for a while.

okawbow said:
I haven't found any #11 caps for over 2 months. I converted my latest caplock rifle to flintlock, and stocked up on powder. I'm set for a while.
I need to get a rock lock. The store may run out of caps, or worse yet stop selling them, but there is always going to be rocks available that will work.

no. 11 caps are still around the local shops here in SE Ohio and they still carry a few boxes of the usual .451, .490, occasionally .530 and .375 round ball. Cynthia go ahead and get that flinter. While it wasn't my primary goal when I got mine, the ability to feed it was something to think about. If one scavages enough, lead is out there as is flint for knapping. There's also recipes for making black powder but unless you burn through pounds as a reenactor, (I've done this)a case of powder could be a lifetime supply especially if you should a smaller caliber. You can use 3f in .45 or .50 and it's a good priming powder as well.

Back