• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Basket weave horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkthrower

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I havn't posted anything for awhile on here, so I thought it was about time. This horn idea arose from a night of to many cold beverages with a fellow horner. I found out right away that the toughest part of building this one was finding a horn that would ( with a little applied heat) fit over another horn. Having a large bin of "that didn't work" horn pieces made it a lot easier.
So here it is.
13 1/2 in around the curve
2 3/8 in at the base with a hollowed out cherry base plug and antler applied button for the strap
Antler applied tip

hope you like it. any and all comments or critique are welcome.

Spike the pictures were taken before I pinned the basket weave section on but it fits so tight after being heated and hammered onto the base horn that it probably wouldn't need the pins.
Thank you all for your comments.

Hawkthrower,

I LOVE that horn !!!! Wow, what a great idea. Never seen one quite that distinctive. Great design and wonderful execution.

Dave C

Ron, I take it the rear band is horn with wood pegs?
The basket is quite stunning and well executed but the turnings on the base plug, button, and tip are outstanding. Very nice work! :bow:

James, you got it right. Its kinda my take on a southern horn with high aspirations. Its getting to be tough to figure out what to try next.
Ron

Looking past the basket weave, The horn itself looks like it was a pretty nice piece to work with. Having seen a mountain of horns, I can appreciate that they are not all suitable to work with. The horn is excellent and the basket weave pushes it over the top. One of the nicest I have seen.
PJC

The greatest skill of an artist is having vision and ideas. Seeing something like that makes me definetly feel vision deprived.
Plus the skill is also outstanding.
Unique and beautiful. :bow:

Super nice modern contemporary design. Wonderful execution. Color blend/contrast appealing. I can immediately envision a pouch design for that one.
Now you will be expected to always top your latest creative effort. A gift and a curse.
Thanks for sharing.
pm to be sent
James

I started out building almost a horn a day and as Capt Jas. said trying to come up with the next one is often a gift and a curse. That is why it has gotten to the point where it now takes about two weeks or more to come up with a new idea and probably that long to execute it. PJC hit the nail on the head about finding the right horn and in this case it was two of them.
MSW, glad I could help as youall have been my motivation many times.
Thanks to you all for the high praise, its gonna be tough to follow this one.

Ron

Ron,
I just love when some craftsman comes out and does something totally unique, well made and praised by his admirers! __ It makes all the "Wantabe's" and "Arm Chair Experts" really squirm!

Remember, All powder horns made today are contemporary! ___ Fine horn!

Rick :hatsoff:

Back