• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first blackpowder turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Despite the rain, flooded creeks, and general turkey shenanigans, I managed to kill this tom Friday morning using a cylinder bore flintlock 12 gauge that a friend made for me. The bird had 1" spurs, 10 1/2" beard but weighed only 16 pounds (he was busy I guess!). He is my first blackpowder turkey and is certainly a trophy in my book!

A little after daylight, I called in 2 toms and a hen and, since I am left-handed, they came in as far to my left as they could come. With the woods still being wide open and them being only 15 yards away, I couldn't even switch shoulders and shoot offhanded! So I waited for them to walk past, got myself re-situated, and called them back to me. I was humped up in an old log pile and I could only pick out a narrow shooting lane and hope they walked through it. The first tom walked through but ducked his head when I needed it up. The second tom did what he was supposed to do and I shot him at about 15 steps.

I used 80 grains of FFF Goex blackpowder, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" wad, 1 1/2 oz #6 shot, and an overshot card.

Darren

FlintlockTurkey04262103_zpsbd526a94.jpg

FlintlockTurkey04262103-2_zps4a8a782f.jpg

Nice going! Nice looking full-stock 12 gauge flinter as well.

The fact that you didn't "force" the situation when it was the wrong time shows some real hunting saavy. Lots of guys would have tried to swing and shoot vs letting them walk by and then bringing them around for a second round. Congratulations! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

That's a nice gun and a great turkey. I always subscribe to the theory that any game taken with a flintlock is a trophy. A turkey is the one thing I've yet to take.

Thats Great! :thumbsup: Congrats!
Now thats up close hunting.
Is that a 42" barrel?

Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

Seems like your plan worked out well!

Silex

Fantastic!
The turkey numbers AND stories are adding up.

I am somewhat concerned about all these guns with the locks on the wrong side. Starting to look like some kind of conspiracy to take over the world.

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

PJC

Nice! How long is that rifle? It looks huge. By the way those pictures are good as well.
Geo. T.

The gun I used is a homemade contraption put together by my friend, John Pruitt. I bought the barrel (42" Colerain), lock (large Siler) and all the furniture from Stonewall Creek Outfitters out of Virginia and had them sent to John. He had a piece of walnut he whittled into a stock and then he put all the parts where they needed to go. You never know what you're gonna get with Mr. Pruitt but I am quite pleased with this weapon and how it shoots.

Here's a photo of me with another flinter that John made (50 cal). The duds I'm wearing are a little more in line with traditional muzzleloader hunting.
FlintlockDoe3.jpg

Latest posts

Back