• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

draw files?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a video on draw filing the flats of the barrel. the guys used a blue marking fluid and a specific draw file that brownells no longer lists in its catalog. What do you guys use to clean up the barrel surfaces?

Archie said:
What do you guys use to clean up the barrel surfaces?

Any good quality fine single cut file of suitable size will work, chalk and a file card will make this job much easier. I have the Brownells file, it cuts a bit finer than my other files so saves a bit of final sanding, otherwise not necessary.

Blue fluid is Dykum, machinest layout fluid. I use it in red, just not for draw filing

I use use a standard 10" Nicholoson single cut bastard file for draw filing. Go slowly and carefully and it will shave off long curly slivers of steel leaving a very smooth finish. Chalk and clean the file OFTEN.

I managed to get several of the Made in U.S.A. files before Nicholson started shipping their production South. :shake:

I have heard the new ones coming in aren't as sharp and don't hold up as well, but can't confirm that.

I don't use Dykem for this either, but do for many other things. Enjoy, J.D.

Chalk fills the teeth and helps keep the metal shavings from getting stuck in them....sorta lubricates the file and makes it easier to clean.

Any metal particles that get caught in the teeth will impart scrathes to the newly filed surface. Clean, clean, clean and chalk your files early and often.

I have three kids and buckets of that big sidewalk chalk that I just run the file over. Since my first two were twin girls, I found out that the pink chalk works fine and it's easy to find on the bench. :grin:

Enjoy, J.D.

I normally draw file w/ a "used" 6" single cut mill bastard file and it works fine because the Rice bbls that are the only bbls used, have a pretty good finish as purchased. Don't use chalk or layout dope....these "used" files don't "load up", don't score the surface and keeping them wholly against the flats isn't a problem. A final light rub w/ 220 grit paper, mainly to eliminate the burr at the corners and the bbl is ready for the "Dawn".....Fred

Fastenal has some blackstone files on the shelf. About $12 if memory serves. I know where my kids left a full bucket of that sidewalk chalk. Thanks.

Hm? Never heard of 'em. I can't find the country of origin on Fastenal's site but under "product details" it does say they are manufactured by a veteran owned business.

Oh! I hit the "catalog" link and I see they are Nicholson files....must have replaced their Black Diamond line.

Since they don't fly the "Made in U.S.A." banner I'd bet they're imported. Get one and let us know how they are.....or better yet, hit some local hardware stores and see if you can find some U.S. made hold-overs that haven't been pulled from the shelves yet. :thumbsup:

Enjoy, J.D.

My last Rice barel came so rough that I started with a 10" double cut file to get the furrows out of it. Then on to a 12" single, 10", 8", and 6". You don't need all those file sizes, but I use them because I have them.

I happen to use a 250 grit wet stone for my final polishing. I find it easier to keep flat on the flats, and to work faster than wrapping sandpaper around a bar.

Was your last Rice bbl one of their "gunbuilder" bbls? I've used quite a few of Rice's standard bbls and they've all been finished pretty well and needed only some light draw filing.....Fred

I use the Brownell's draw file,barrel spinner and
chalk. That spinner works great for Octagon or round barrels for draw filing.
Can draw files me sharpened? If so how? I have two of the Brownell's files and would like to keep them indefinitely if they can be sharpened since they don't carry them any longer.
I tried to get them to tell me who made their files but no one I talked to could remember. MD

I picked up a 14" nicholsen from ace hardware and a 12" blackstone from fastenal today. Both single cut bastard files. Some blue dykem spray too. I hope to get some time this weekend.

M.D.

I send my files to an outfit called "Boggs Tool Sharpening" in California. They come back sharper than new. Do a Google search for contact information. My old faithful draw file is now so sharp it is hard to draw it straight, it tends to want to follow the direction of the cuts in the file.

Archie said:
Some blue dykem spray too.
That stuff's just for metal.
If you want something for inletting on wood, it's the inletting black that's sold,, or I use plain ole lamp soot.
Get an old/common wicked oil lamp from the Dollar store or Good Will, fill it with the paraffin based lamp oil. Remove the chimney, when you want soot just turn the wick high hold the item over the wick an it'll get covered with soot.
Keep a damp rag handy to remove it from spots you don't want it,

I have been reading about inletting black and soot from oil lamps. I don't have either yet, That will be addressed as I get closer to next paycheck and the end of the barrel filing project.

Thanks much, I will give them a Google! What kind of price do they charge, not that it matters I guess since I like these Brownell's draw files so much. MD

Archie said:
I have been reading about inletting black and soot from oil lamps. I don't have either yet, That will be addressed as I get closer to next paycheck and the end of the barrel filing project.

For inletting black, I like Jarrow's. It's thinner and just goes on easier for me. There's also a lot more in the jar than the Miles Gilbert, and it comes in black and gold for dark wood.

Latest posts

Back