• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania Long-gun models?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No militia carried rifles, only smoothbores. A rifle wouldn't mount a bayonet and couldn't be loaded from a cartridge per the drill so it couldn't be used in the line. The only ones carrying rifles would have been members of a rifle company.

hawkeye2 said:
No militia carried rifles, only smoothbores. A rifle wouldn't mount a bayonet and couldn't be loaded from a cartridge per the drill so it couldn't be used in the line. The only ones carrying rifles would have been members of a rifle company.

Not true...Research the Battles of Kings Mountain, Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse...You will find that the first two were mainly fought by militia with rifles...At Guilford Courthouse John Bivens estimated that there were about 1500 militia there, armed with their rifles...

it doesn't really matter, does it? the point being, there was a huge number of "one off" flinters created within the 18th century.

Zonie said:
Without going into a lot of detail, these "early" Lancasters (and others) would have few inlays, a simple hinged or sliding wooden patch box, and a thick (1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch) wide buttplate.....

probably likely just a drilled stock tallow hole.

hawkeye2 said:

nonsense. that would mean "the patriot" wasn't historically correct. :doh: :idunno: :wink:

rfd said:
it doesn't really matter, does it? the point being, there was a huge number of "one off" flinters created within the 18th century.

I guess if you don't care about being "correct" it doesn't matter. But, getting the facts right always lends credence to ones arguement.

When people fill their post with inaccuracies it just misleads those who don't know and appears to those who do as just bloviating.

Enjoy, J.D.

These schools developed after the Revolutionary War...
I must respectfully dissagree.There were gunmakers working in these areas prior and during the Revolutionary war.One that quickly comes to mind is Wolfgang Haga in Berks County.Many of the rifles atrributed to Haga are easily in the Rev war period.

Mitch

There are no know Rev War period rifles with a single drilled tallow hole.That is not seen until after 1800's in southern rifles.Most all of the Rev war rifles that suirvived have a wood or brass patchbox.

Mitch

I believe Pedersoli makes a Brown Bess that would be appropriate,

Pedersoli makes a rifle, and some muskets that are "accepted" at reenactment events. Depending on whether or not you want a piece that conforms to history or one that's "close enough for government work" will determine if a person deems them appropriate.

That depends on where the militia was raised. For example those in Maryland from Annapolis were armed with the First Model Bess. The two companies of militia raised in Maryland that went North to help Washington..., were all riflemen. It's very tough to give an overall statement about that time period, as the colonies were very different.

don't want, need, or care about being "period correct

That's nice but why chime in to the discussion then, since it's discussing what you don't care about?

LD

don't want, need, or care about being "period correct

That's nice but why chime in to the discussion then, since it's discussing what you don't care about?

LD

you've taken my reply out of context. the poster i was replying to had posted ...

"Factory longrifles/muskets are excellent in all respects except for such events. In fact having the correct gun/persona is pretty much the province juried events. Not really "needed" otherwise but surely desired by many. So, need to be correct; there's no other choice other than custom. For all else factory made is fine and worthy of respect. "

hence my reply.

the real question is WHAT does the OP want/need? do you know? i sure don't, and the OP still hasn't made that crystal clear to me.

and, i posted earlier - you have a need/requirement for "period correct", then by all means, absolutely have at it and spend the loot! but if not, why bother when a plethora of cheaper rifles abound that at least look the part to most folks?

If you want a Lancaster or other rifle that's PC, save your money and have a rifle made for you. IMO, there is no factory/production gun that comes close to a good custom gun. You'll have a one of a kind, made just for you, something you'll be proud to shoot. YOUR gun.

Right before I got out of the Army in 1977, I was looking at a TC Hawken, just getting interested in black powder. A guy where I worked had two custom halfstock rifles made by a guy named Bill Fuller in Alaska. He told me to wait until I got home and look around for a custom rifle builder. That was the best advice I ever had when it comes to muzzleloaders. I had to have patience and save up and would pay him a little each month and by the time he was finished I had it paid off.

You might want to contact Chambers and look at his Lancaster or York rifles and get a recommendation on someone to build it for you if you don't want to try building it yourself. I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

Chris

Snakebite said:
If you want a Lancaster or other rifle that's PC, save your money and have a rifle made for you. IMO, there is no factory/production gun that comes close to a good custom gun. You'll have a one of a kind, made just for you, something you'll be proud to shoot. YOUR gun.

Right before I got out of the Army in 1977, I was looking at a TC Hawken, just getting interested in black powder. A guy where I worked had two custom halfstock rifles made by a guy named Bill Fuller in Alaska. He told me to wait until I got home and look around for a custom rifle builder. That was the best advice I ever had when it comes to muzzleloaders. I had to have patience and save up and would pay him a little each month and by the time he was finished I had it paid off.

You might want to contact Chambers and look at his Lancaster or York rifles and get a recommendation on someone to build it for you if you don't want to try building it yourself. I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

Chris

sir, the best sound advice!

tallbear said:
These schools developed after the Revolutionary War...
I must respectfully dissagree.There were gunmakers working in these areas prior and during the Revolutionary war.One that quickly comes to mind is Wolfgang Haga in Berks County.Many of the rifles atrributed to Haga are easily in the Rev war period.

Mitch

Sure there were gun makers working there at that time, just as there were down here in Piedmont North Carolina...But the different schools weren't developed by then...

rfd said:
unless there is a strong need/requirement for a dead nuts 18th century flintlock that could be, or was, used in the rev war (and assuming you can afford getting one built), what's the sense in being THAT "period correct"? for a reenactment? for some personal pleasure?

That will depend on the events you attend and, most especially, the group you join. Any quality group of reenactors will not accept the factory made reproductions because, as stated they are not even close in appearance to the originals. You may get by for a few events but if you want to continue to participate with that group or attend quality events, you will need to upgrade.

rfd said:
Zonie said:
Without going into a lot of detail, these "early" Lancasters (and others) would have few inlays, a simple hinged or sliding wooden patch box, and a thick (1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch) wide buttplate.....

Those started showing up in the 2nd quarter of the 19th Century.

Sure there were gun makers working there at that time, just as there were down here in Piedmont North Carolina...But the different schools weren't developed by then...
Nc
I certainly agree with you that the "schools" were not fully developed but there are enough guns by these makers that can be dated to the Rev war period for a well researched historically correct for the Rev war rifle can be made.Certainly that isn't currently the case for rifles before the F&I but some recently discovered examples are starting to change that.Remember "schools" are modern classifications and are being reinterperted all the time.I would call them the beginings of the school as the details and characteristics of these early guns and their makers are what later defined the "schools" we currently use as a modern classification.

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back