• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why do ML'ers sell so cheap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Why is it (when you look on GB and the other auction sites) that custom built parts sets tend to sell for right around the cost of the components? $1000 or less. Original rifles for even less than the contemporary builds. Yet, the factory "unmentionables" sell for big bucks. Same thing for the factory TC's, Traditions, etc.

Yeah, I know it's a supply / demand thing, but I'm trying to figure out WHY the demand seems so low for these rifles which all took hundreds of hours to make, and are better made than the factory stuff.

If a person is wanting a custom rifle they will opt for their own build and specs. That and you read that the NMLRA's average age of members is 60+ and you have a key. For what it's worth they are bringing more right now than three years ago. It varies from time to time. Geo. T.

The market for traditional guns is more of a niche and the "modern" shooters are somehow convinced that percussion guns are difficult to load and shoot and the flint guns are impossible with extended lock and ignition times. Then add in the extra effort to get the holy black and it gets even worse. You can see this at the big retail outfits that only carry .50 caliber sabots and fake powder. The gun makers jack up the price because they still sell.

Some "customs" are little more than sloppily built junk depending on who does them and how diligent they are.
Anyone can buy a precarve stock and stick parts in it and make a FL. But that does not mean its a good job or worth much.

Dan

There are a lot of 800 dollar parts sets made by kitchen table first time builders that are not even worth 300 dollars. Hopefully the builder learned something in the process, but a good education is expensive.

Archie said:
The market for traditional guns is more of a niche and the "modern" shooters are somehow convinced that percussion guns are difficult to load and shoot and the flint guns are impossible with extended lock and ignition times. Then add in the extra effort to get the holy black and it gets even worse. You can see this at the big retail outfits that only carry .50 caliber sabots and fake powder. The gun makers jack up the price because they still sell.

Bingo. Give the man a cigar.
The market for traditional ml rifles is quite small. The old adage that something is worth only what someone will pay for it is very true. Pawn shops won't give hardly anything for nice custom flintlock rifle because they know it might sit on the shelf for years before a buyer comes by looking for one. But a plastic stocked unmentionable that shoot sabots will sell almost immediately.

Captjoel said:
There are a lot of 800 dollar parts sets made by kitchen table first time builders that are not even worth 300 dollars. Hopefully the builder learned something in the process, but a good education is expensive.
just thought that was worth repeating

That these guns are being sold for a song and dance is a two edged sword.
It afords those of us with the bug to aquire these guns on the cheep.
But it is an indication that the sport is in a serious decline.

The last ML i got as custom i restocked it witha preinlet stock and shot it a few times and sold it
I know of. Others who boughtt used only to get rusty barrels and not well cared for guns

My 40 Flint Lock is a custom build that I had built. All of my other MLR's were well tended used and two of my three black were as well I hope you got as good a deal on yours as I did!
Geo. T.

Do you really think it's in decline? Or, just a small niche with some stalworts, and the bandwagon folks are on the sidelines for now?

I would agree that TRADITIONAL sidelocks are less popular than they were 40 years ago. The evolution of the modern in-blind has taken the hunter-only crowd away. But, there are literally dozens of part sets suppliers that didn't exist before the internet.

I would guess that building is WAY more popular now than it was in the `70's or `80's.

Black powder shooting with traditional firearms is definitely in decline. I started shooting and collecting 45 years ago when everyone was trying black powder shooting and the market for new and used traditional guns was much better than it is now. However, once states began to set up muzzleloader only seasons, a large number of folks jumped on the bandwagon and a lot of them were not interested in traditional firearms or even using blackpowder. To them muzzleloaders were something that enabled them to hunt a bit longer each year. The manufacturers jumped on that and you had something of a mini-explosion in the sport. However, I daresay that probably less than 10% of these folks ultimately moved into traditional shooting, which hurt overall. I frankly do not hunt with a muzzle loader anymore because I am strictly traditional and do not want to be in the woods with my round ball flintlock competing with in-line rifles mounting six power scopes. To me that is not what the sport is about. The same thought extends to purchasing a rifle or pistol. There are plenty of mass-produced muzzle loaders which superficially resemble the originals but it doesn't take much more than a glance to tell you that they are not the same. I firmly believe that the bloom is off the rose for our sport at this time. My son will get my gun collection when I head for tir nan og - if the government will let him have it - but I doubt it will remain intact long unless he decides to build a museum. He admires them but simply is not interested in shooting them. Too bad.

I've seen the same thing happen with fly fishing gear. Bamboo is now hotter than a $2 caplock, with many new builders coming into it. Love seeing that interest is strong. Fiberglass rods that I use are now the new "Cool". For years I was able to buy up those "old junk" fly rods for a song. Got some really fine old rods. Been selling the ones I don't want to keep for much much more than I paid for them.A few at a scarey profit. I imagine what goes around comes around. Now might be the time to scarf up the sidelocks. Might not be an investment for you but it might be for your heirs.
RFMcD

Its a shame as there is a bit sentiment and challenge hunting with a sparker. Spending time with the family is tough as they grow up and move out and with that they start new lives which don't include the sport. And that is challenged by geographic locations, politics, and time availability. I look forward to retirement to enjoy it more!

The real answer everyone is avoiding is that us ml'ers are all so rich we don't worry or care about prices, selling or buying. :shocked2:
And that, of course is a buncha :bull:
:rotf: :rotf:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Back