• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Today's project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Frog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This was my project for today
Now all I need is some leather for the rest of it
woodg.jpg

where is the best place to get enough leather for a bag to go around it?

It will be a Cartridge box
Yes the wood is too pretty really
I asked a good friend of mine to cut me a piece of pine and he used the maple instead
Said He didn't have the heart to give me a piece of ugly cheap wood lol

19 cartridges! You are set for a campaign! Never saw such a cartridge box but I am new to this sort of work. I like it and your friend did good work for you. Thanks for showing it. baxter

I noticed you are in Cleveland TN. There are two excellent sources near you. There is a Tandy Leather Factory off Jersey Pike in Chattanooga but your best bet is Whitecotton Leather Co, in Dalton, GA. The owner, Paul Coffey, is a heck of a nice guy and will have what you need.

Nice work on your block.

Dan

baxter said:
19 cartridges! You are set for a campaign! Never saw such a cartridge box but I am new to this sort of work. I like it and your friend did good work for you. Thanks for showing it. baxter

Quite common for muskets, but the ones I've seen were painted black, with a black leather cover and belt loop simply tacked to the back.

Cohutta Ranger said:
I noticed you are in Cleveland TN. There are two excellent sources near you. There is a Tandy Leather Factory off Jersey Pike in Chattanooga but your best bet is Whitecotton Leather Co, in Dalton, GA. The owner, Paul Coffey, is a heck of a nice guy and will have what you need.

Nice work on your block.

Dan

Thanks Dan
I will definitely look him up Saturday
I much prefer going to Dalton any way

Wick Ellerbe said:
baxter said:

Quite common for muskets, but the ones I've seen were painted black, with a black leather cover and belt loop simply tacked to the back.

The pattern I am using comes from Sketchbook '76 page 33. Pattern source is from a bag in the Valley Forge H.S. Museum

I am making a bag that will have a pocket inside it for the block. The block is too nice to paint black and I deviated from the pattern a little but I didn't want to hurt my friends feelings.

When I get the bag done I will post some more pics
Bullfrog

I've worked on the bag until my hands are so sore I had to put it down.
It's not quite down yet but here are some images I took along the way

Test fitting the wood block:
bag3medium.jpg

After sewing the straps on:
bag2medium.jpg

View from the front:
bag5medium.jpg

I still have the buckles to sew on, the button strap and button, and finish the shoulder strap

This is the first bag Ive ever done and Im enjoying it. Definitely gonna do some more

Thanks guys
I finished the bag tonight
I hope to get some better pics tomorrow but here's one for now

bagdonemedium.jpg

Back