• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Outside the box... again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am sitting here contemplating metaphysical aspects of life and muzzleloading rifles. My perception of the world is created through what my five senses tell me. I have to ask myself: How can I know that the information my senses reveal to me is the same thing revealed to other people through their senses? Then I realized that nobody cares.

So I have another question that may or may not be easier to answer.

Can I "drop in" a flint barrel and lock into my caplock renegade stock and have the ignition goodies line up correctly?

That's what they did at the factory so I expect you should be able to do it too. All the T/C branded guns and most of the other manufactures just swap out locks and barrels in the same stock to create either a flint gun or percussion.

Ease of production and cost savings is the bottom line. Enjoy, J.D.

the short answer is, yes, but you will have to acquire a lock and barrel .. as nearly as i can tell, the barrels are pretty limited in flint - you may find yourself 'stuck' with a fifty (not that there's anything wrong with fifty - it's a great all-purpose caliber) ...

then you'll have a fifty caliber flintlock, and then (since you have a flintlock) you will start to get all excited about sharp little bits of stone, and your friends will worry about your sanity, and they'll try some sort of silly 'intervention,' but you'll be busy at the range, and then you'll need a smaller flintlock, say a forty or a thirtysix caliber, and then an fifty four or a fifty eight, then a smoothie, start with a 20 guage, then a twelve for duck, then maybe a .54 bored out as a smooth rifle, then ...

why are there men in white lab coats following me around where ever I go? 'scuse me fellows, gotta go, hey could you guys help load that patterning paper into my car... hey thanks - -hand me those range boxes, will ya?

:grin:

That might be really funny if I had not been living this exact problem for the last.... well all my life. It happened with center fire rifles and I am living it now with the ML guns.

Anyways. The reason I am thinking about this is I have one renegade in .54 and I am in the process of building a new rifle with renegade hardware an upgrade CM stock and a 32" .54 RB barrel with the T/C caplock breech plug. I want a flinter and I'm thinkin if I could make a "convertable" rifle.....

Check with totw about a t/c flintlock breech plug for your 54 barrel. I put one in a rice barrel and use it on a lyman deer stalker stock and with a little gun smithing it works great. Mine is a 54sb and it really is a gun for all seasons. Pappy :wink:

The flint breechplugs ToW has in stock are for a 3/4"-16tpi but that's ok, I'd be using a new barrel.

Good evening Archie

I too have had metaphysical, contemplative thought same as yours. Often times when eating an orange or or chocolate bar, I have wondered if other people have the same taste sensations that I do. Or do they have a different taste sensation, but still identify it as orange and chocolate.

Here is something you and the other metaphisists might want to wrap your brains around. Why does a mirror show a right to left shift, but not a top to bottom shift? I will be interested in what all of you come up with.

Sorry, I don't have enough experience to help you with your muzzle loading problem.

IONBuckaroo

IONBuckaroo said:
Good evening Archie
Here is something you and the other metaphisists might want to wrap your brains around. Why does a mirror show a right to left shift, but not a top to bottom shift? I will be interested in what all of you come up with.
IONBuckaroo

I can give you the answer you might get from a female perspective: "It just does"!

The brain sorts the "picture" out for us; we are all, in actuality upside down. Ask the Australians if this is not so. Your optometrist will have some other explanation I suspect. baxter

Hanshi, Baxter and IonBuckaroo, There is the basic difference in philosophical contemplation. One person looks at the stars and asks "what are those and why are they?" and the next is satisfied with "they are there and they are beutiful". One perspective is no better than the other because it is personal.

However, Philosophy is to be studied for the questions it asks because these questions enlarge our perception of new possibilities and enhance our intellectual imagination and reduces the narrow assurance which closes the mind against speculation. This can be seen by looking at the history of human development. As an example; at some point, perhaps nine thousand years ago, an individual through philosophical contemplation asked a question about the malleability of copper. That led to the science of metallurgy and the development of new alloys which have had direct effects on man's control of his environment. Advances in agriculture, warfare, transport, even cooking were not possible without metal. The entire Industrial Revolution up to space exploration, from steam to electricity to nuclear power all because of one person’s philosophical mindset. At some point this person had the time and desire to think beyond the necessity of everyday living and pass that on to others which led to the enrichment of all mankind. It is through these types of progressive human developments that we can see the true value of philosophy and why it should be studied. :yakyak:

IONBuckaroo said:

Because it is a reflection, not a refraction.

Maybe my perception is strange to some. When I look up at the stars, I see threat of alien invasion :shocked2: .

Reflections in a mirror seem just fine to me; right arm to right arm - at least I wake up hoping that's still the case - head mostly where it should be (+ or -) :hmm: . What worries me is when I'm looking in the mirror and start to fade. I'm almost certain this is not normal but can't swear to it :idunno: . My parents didn't cast a reflection in mirrors; maybe that explains it; they were sorta "night people" as am I. :doh:

Thinking shouldn't be so complicated on a black powder forum. I'm looking for a turkey load for my Tulle and now you've got me wondering if I need a load for alien invaders. Reckon a .60 ball over 70 grains of FFG will do it? graybeard

Can one truly "know" what it is to build a musket by reading a forum, or does one need to experience it for themselves. On a simmiler note, can one truly "know" that the shooty bits will line up until one tries.

:idunno:

Archie said:
...However, Philosophy is to be studied for the questions it asks because these questions enlarge our perception of new possibilities and enhance our intellectual imagination and reduces the narrow assurance which closes the mind against speculation...
Which brings up the question,

If a man makes a statement without his wife around, is he still wrong?

:grin:

Oh! :slap: Right Claude.
Back to the original topic. :grin:

Can one truly "know" what it is to build a musket by reading a forum, or does one need to experience it for themselves. On a simmiler note, can one truly "know" that the shooty bits will line up until one tries.

You have hit on the basic concepts of knowledge discussed by Immanuel Kant in his book "Critique of Pure Reason".

A priori proposition: a proposition whose justification does not rely upon experience. Moreover, the proposition can be validated by experience, but is not grounded in experience. Therefore, it is logically necessary.

A posteriori proposition: a proposition whose justification does rely upon experience. The proposition is validated by, and grounded in, experience. Therefore, it is logically contingent.

So to answer the question stated above; Yes you can but only as A priori knowledge until you actually perform the stated act.

Back