• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion or Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well its time for yet another frontstuffer and this time in a long awaited .32cal.
It will be a Pedersoli but I can't decide on whether a Frontier flinter or a Pennsylvania Dixie percussion?
I'm unsure if I'm ready to jump into the flintlock waters yet?

Go Flint!! You need a change, and Flint is way to cool not to experience.

You need to wet your feet with a flintlock sometime in order to preperly call yourself a muzzleloading rifle shooter. :haha: Seriously, you will enjoy having a flintlock. When you have taken a few squirrels or rabbits with your .32 flinter, you will know you have had a great day hunting with a muzzleloading rifle.

Before jumping onto the bandwagon and buying a flintlock make sure you can get real black powder.

The synthetic black powder substitutes work very poorly (if at all) in a flintlock.

Thanks for all the motions towards the flintlock, fellas. I think my decision is obvious :wink:
Time to get the feet wet I reckon.
Don't worry Zonie, I got plenty of the "real" stuff :grin:
I save all the substitute stuff for my cough choke gag....inline.. :redface:
I'll let y'all know come Saturday with a pic or two.
Have a good'n till then :hatsoff:

I stay away from flint like the plague because I know I'd never shoot my caplocks again. Hard to justify the time and money I invested in them to just sit in the closet and rot. My son Has a Flint that I shoot when I get the itch :wink:

Cap locks have their uses too though. They're easier to get people started on. My percussion guns are shorter than my flinters too. Let's face it, if you hand a kid a 48" barreled flinter to load and shoot, regardless of caliber, they're going to be intimidated more so than being handed a lighter and shorter gun. And, the "whoosh" of the pan takes some getting used to. Translation; more difficult to experience success with.

And, real BP necessitates immediate cleaning, where you have some more time leeway with the non-pyrodex subs.

I own three excellent percussion rifles; and while they rarely go into the woods, they do at least get a bit of range time occasionally. For the woods, it's flint all the way.

What exactly are you missing for flint? Flints? What? Other than flints and real gunpowder, what else do you think you need?

Well, why don't you go to a Rendezvous or a BP shoot in your area and take a few shots with someone else's gun and find out if you like them? You probably will. They're just a little more finicky than cap locks, but no less reliable.

So yesterday I weas lucky enuf to get off work early which was good because I had a 2hr drive to Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario to have a look at two Pedersoli .32cal muzzleloaders.
I arrived at the store and was quickly asked for help. I mentioned to the salesperson that I had spoke on the phone and that there were 2 .32's left. So the 1st one was brought out while the other was looked for. It was a Frontier flintlock.
I took it out of the box and carefully studied the action, the barrel, surface of wood stock and brought it up to my shoulder many times, imagining a bunny or squirrel within range, peering down the long barrel and and lining up the sights.......It was instant....I'd been had....."this was the one!!"
Soon after the salesman came back with the other .32, "i finally found it, it was upstairs packed in the far corner behind a bunch of other cartons". No need I said, but for your troubles I will have a look but I've made up my mind already :grin:
I picked out all the accesories that I figured I'd need; Primer flask, cleaning kit (flintlocks), leather patches (flints), leather frizzen cover, .32 cal balls, FFFFG powder; and flints (7/8).
I'm in deep now..I know it....I can feel it......what have I done!!
Pics up soon :wink:

Well, its not like we told ya, another one turned to the darkside!! What I can't understand is how you did'nt end up buying both of them :idunno: . I also would have asked to go upstairs with him and look around, ya never know what else might have been "lost" up there!!.

Latest posts

Back