• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.32 Stumped on what’s next

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my new .32 cal. Crockett out this afternoon. I shot five 3 round groups (four on this target), The first two groups with a .010 patch (Murphy & Alcohol lub) and 15 gr. then 20 gr. Of Goex FF at 30 yards both are inside the group at 6 O’clock in the pic (about 2 ½” low). Next I tried .015 patches with 20gr. & 25gr. of BP they are in the photo at 9 & 3 O’clock. On a second target I tried the .010 patch with 25gr. BP but it was opening the group.

Target32_zps553bb525.jpg

To my eyes, the 3 O’clock group is the one to go after (it was shot at the small patch of tape), but I’m not sure there’s a clear “best load” should I . . . Shoot more of these 3? Try FFFF (the other BP I have on hand). Like I said I’m a bit Stumped on what’s next. :idunno:

Post script: I ran out of light today. :(

I don't think I would try 4f as it is intended as a "pan" powder on flintlocks. Stick with the FFF and keep searching for that ellusive load your barrel likes best. You find the most accurate load, where ever it lands on your target, then adjust your sights to it. You haven't said what is the major use of your rifle. Hunting? Target? If hunting you may want to try the .32 Maxi Balls too. Good Luck

3:00 is the nice group.

Are you shooting from a rest? That is important when working on a load.

What I do with any of my guns is to start with the ball and weigh and mic them. Not that critical for hunting use but the idea is to limit variables.

I use a 2 cavity mold and this consistently produces a slight difference between balls. Since the difference is always the same, after checking several lots I cast, I just lightly nicked on cavity so now I separate them by sight.

Then shoot one ball size with the same powder load but vary patch thickness. when you get to the tightest group, then vary powder 5 grains until you get your tightest group at max load that shows any change.

There are a lot of variables you can control
check out Link Well worth the cost.

lent out my sand bags so my rest was a chunk of 6"x8" with a bit of hard foam rubber on top placed on a moving blanket spread on a concrete ,shooting bench.

Hey that is about the way mine was when I first started shooting it ,I tried different lubes like this I use the same charge say 15grns FFFg with different lubes till I got the best group,then tried 20grns with different lubes untill best group when all was said and done after going all the way to 30 grns of powder Black Powder I settled on Mink Oil it was the best for all charges for me ,it may not work for you but I think this is a good way to find you load. I ended up with 15 grns FFFg Goex Black Powder Blue strip pillow tick patch,mink oil lube =dime size group at 25 yds off rest.(also tried different patch material best for my rifle measures at about .015 I said about because it varies some in different places on the cloth)Almost forgot I had to do some trigger work too,they just were not right from factory.
Forgot to say this gun needs to be shot quite a bit before you get the best groups,slick up that bore!

Yah.. dont settle for those groups. be aware of the break in period for a gun.. 200 to 400 rounds. And other variables that you can modify too.. You should get ragged hole groups at 25 yards.

Lots of good ideas. One thing I'm seeing every one is talking about FFFg, I was shooting FFg, and have FFFFg on hand. But the only FFFg I know of is a 500mile round trip away that involves two Mt. Passes :(

It's been a few years, but if I recall correctly mine was only so-so accuracy wise (much like yours) until I had 150-200 shots down the bore. Then accuracy improved so much it was like someone threw a switch.

I'd keep on shooting it and see what settles out.

Sean Gadhar said:
I took my new .32 cal. Crockett out this afternoon. I shot five 3 round groups (four on this target), The first two groups with a .010 patch (Murphy & Alcohol lub) and 15 gr. then 20 gr. Of Goex FF at 30 yards both are inside the group at 6 O’clock in the pic (about 2 ½” low). Next I tried .015 patches with 20gr. & 25gr. of BP they are in the photo at 9 & 3 O’clock. On a second target I tried the .010 patch with 25gr. BP but it was opening the group.

Target32_zps553bb525.jpg

To my eyes, the 3 O’clock group is the one to go after (it was shot at the small patch of tape), but I’m not sure there’s a clear “best load” should I . . . Shoot more of these 3? Try FFFF (the other BP I have on hand). Like I said I’m a bit Stumped on what’s next. :idunno:

Post script: I ran out of light today. :(

Use the thick patch and 30-35 grains. The old rule for small bores is one grain of powder per caliber as a starting load. At 40 cal the charge may need to go to 50 or even 70 for best accuracy.
While a 45-54 caliber will work very well with about 1/2 ball weight of powder the 32-36s will not in most cases.

Dan

Sean Gadhar said:
Lots of good ideas. One thing I'm seeing every one is talking about FFFg, I was shooting FFg, and have FFFFg on hand. But the only FFFg I know of is a 500mile round trip away that involves two Mt. Passes :(

You may have to make some consessions. Do not use the 4Fg to shoot. :shake: :nono:
Use whatever other you do have on hand, e.g. 3 or 4Fg. Otherwise, make that drive or order some powder to be shipped to you.
BTW, where did you get that lube idea? If it works, OK. But doesn't sound like a real lube to me. Try a more conventional lube like beeswax and an oil or one of the popular moose milk/snot mixes.

Sean Gadhar said:

ROAD TRIP!!!

Sean Gadhar said:

Phone call to Powder Inc. is all you need. :thumbsup:

Richard, you are changing too many variables at one time. What you need to do is to choose a patch and lube that you like and stick with it for the time being. Start with a powder charge of approximately your caliber. That is, for your .32, I'd start with 30 grains of 3f black powder. Adjust your powder up and down in 5 grain increments until you find a charge that gives the best group. Where that group is is not important at this point. Just get the best group that you can. Next, using the best charge that you found in the first experiment, try different thicknesses of patches until you find the best patch for your gun. Still, paying no attention to where this best group is, just get the best group you can. Now you have the best charge and patch combination. Next work on finding the best lube for your best patch and powder charge that you have found. Once you have your best charge, patch and lube, all that is left is to move your group to where you want it by adjusting your sights. Drift your REAR sight in the direction you want to move your group left or right until it is centered either above or below your centerline on your target. At this point, we hope that your group is below your bullseye because then all you have to do is to carefully file your front sight down to bring your group up to where you want it. Do this filing in small increments because you can always take more off but it is hard to put it back on. When you have done this, everything is up to you to hold and squeeze your shots to win the matches or knock down those squirrels.

Latest posts

Back