• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal maxiballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some 32-40 cases I'll check the ID I would think that they would work. It would be helpfull if you knew your diameter. I could probably be talked out of a couple them pretty easy. They were given to me by a freind that bought a big bunch of new ones and was going to throw the old ones away.

Richard

To the original poster I apologize for your thread being hijacked. As to using cases for cutting bullets from lube the larger the case the better. A large case is easier to hold than a small one. Cases like the 30/06 can be necked up or cases like the 45/70 can be necked down some. The side can be cut out with a rotary cutter large enough for the bullets to fall out. You want the case mouth large enough to fit over the bullet easy. As you cut them from the lube they push the last one from the neck. It is not hard to keep the cutter clean if you don't let a lot of lube builld up in it. Glue the case head to a small block of wood gives old hands a better grip and they do not get tired as fast. Have fun.

:eek:ff O.K. guys and girls. My 9.3x62 cases were perfect for the .32 Maxi's. I used a tube cutter to cut the case at the bottom. Then a stroke of luck........ the bottom of the case is perfect for the .36 Maxi! So I have a "multi-tool" that fits both the .32 and the .36. Thanks for the idea. (The 9.3x62 cases are expensive so I ran a 30-06 case through my 9.3x62 die. ) A .35 Wheelen should work too.

I had a sizer-luber in .311 that I used for bullets for my 32-20. Works great for uniform diam and putting lube in the grooves. These bullets weighed 105 gr. so they might be a bit much for your Crockett but I think you could shove your bullets through a sizer-luber just fine.

I would love to see some ballistic gelatine tests with a 32 RB and the 32 Maxi. Given the comments I have seen concerning the larger ones as a hunting projectile it might be a "Mythbuster".
The effectiveness of lead bullets at BP velocities is determined by nose design and alloy both have to be right. Based on what I know of BPCR bullets the Maxi is not that good. Probably why the "Maxi-Hunter" was invented.
So before assuming the 32 RB will not work it might be advisable to try it. People automatically assume the RB won't work. A friend's experience in shooting Rock Chucks tells me than the 32 might surprise everyone. I never shot anything larger than small game with mine.

Dan

I don't think there is much question that a maxi that is stabilized and hits end on will penetrate deeper than a ball and that it will maintain velocity better in flight. It has more mass and a better shape ballistically. I have seen water jug tests with round ball and conicals in revolvers and the bullet always out penetrates the ball. The only disadvantage I can see in there use is the tendency to work up bore if you do not keep the muzzle level or tilted up while carrying.MD

"Well I have been to several Hardware and Walmart style stores and unable to find anything to "cut" the .32 and .36 bullets in my lube pan. I even went to an auto parts store looking for plastic or rubber tubing. Anyone have a suggestion? Hand lubing in winter may be a pain but in the heat of summer........ "

Try going to a hobby shop. Most carry K&S brass tubing in 12" lengths. They have it is sizes from 1/16" up to 1/2". Each size will fit into the next size, so there should be something that will fit your needs. I use a sharpened piece I bought a while back to cut felt wads for my .44 cal cap and ball revolver. Matched the ID size to the Ox-Yoke wads that came with the gun. And used the next size up to make a strike cap that fits on the punch so hitting it does not deform the tube.

I have never tried the maxis I have for my 32 cal. yet so don't know how they perform,but your statment about them working up bore while handling is correct that is why I stopped hunting with my Great Plains Hunter,while hunting one day I had been trying a stalk on a doe finnaly was busted and just then I thought about the conical problem of working off the charge so I checked the seating with my ram rod, the bullet was almost 3"s off of the powder charge ,so the rest of the day I was constantly checking it ,was not comfortably using it after that so stopped taking it hunting which is a shame because it would shoot 4" groups a 150yds.

You know I was just thinking, which my wife says is a dangerous thing ,anyway what I was at is that any animal that you would hunt with a 32 cal ,you would probly not notice the difference in performance between a PRB and a Conical would you.
There had been some talk in the handgun section about how much power they have or don't have so one day I hunted up all the gallon plastic jugs I could find which was 5 ,filled them up with water ,took out my home made 16" barrel 50cal pistol ,linged the jugs up in a row and shot a 50yds the PRB went through all 5 the first 3 were pretty well wasted,charge was 50grns FFg Black Powder so I would be ok with a deer at 30yds or so I guess.So PRB do real well.

I sent TOTW a question about their .32 maxi in a Crockett with a 1:48 twist.

This is the reply, does anyone think the load data is an error? It sound like a lot of powder for a .32.

Track of the Wolf, Inc.
18308 Joplin Street North West
Elk River, MN 55330-1773
Phone: 763-633-2500
Fax: 763-633-2550

Accuracy is not achieved by any math formula, but is influenced by math:

Greenhill's formula specifies the twist rate required to stabilize a bullet length.

Longer bullets require faster twist, or faster velocity (higher rpm), or both.

Lead fouling (invisible deposits in the bore) can cause Keyhole bullet holes in a target at 25 yards. Scrubbing the bore with our #JB-PASTE can dramatically improve accuracy.

The .32 caliber T/C Maxi Ball is commonly used in the T/C Seneca with 48" twist, and many shooters report fine accuracy.

We recommend starting with a charge of 40 grains of GOEx FFFg, and test up to 60 grains.

We recommend #LUBE-SPG bullet lubricant, applied by fingers.

Wipe the bore after each shot, using our #JS-32-5-10 cleaning jag, #OX-CLEAN-45-C patches, and two (2) drops of #BORE-CLEAN solvent.

Avoid synthetic black powders, synthetic miracle lubricants, plastic wads, and 209 primers.

This bullet should work well in your rifle, if the bore is clean and bright, lead free.

David Ripplinger

Last edited by a moderator:
I note that in the Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL, they did not test any .32 caliber rifles with any slugs.

They did test a number of different powders under a .310 diameter roundball.

With these roundball tests they stopped their testing at a 70 grain powder load so TOTW's 60 grains might be OK for roundballs but I would not shoot a .32 cal slug with that load.

Even with a patched roundball the GOEX 3Fg powder was producing a breech pressure of 13,000 psi with a 60 grain powder load.

Surprisingly, a 60 grain powder load under the little roundball using Pyrodex P produced a breech pressure of 22,600 psi.

The TC book shows a 50 grain powder load with the roundball in red and indicates this is the max load for it.

Getting back to the Maxi, the TC book I have says their .32 Maxi Ball weighs 103 grains. Compare that with the 47 grain weight of a .315 roundball and it is obvious that it will create much higher chamber pressures.
The TC book says a 50 grain 3Fg powder load is the MAX load for the .32 caliber Maxi Ball.
They recommend up to a 40 grain, 3Fg powder load for the Maxi Ball.

Just something I noticed with some .40's a while back. The 28" long 48" twist barrel didn't stabilize my bullet. The 38" long 48" twist barrel did. The added RPM's that the longer barrel supplied via added FPS made the difference.

Back