• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Blackpowder for Defense?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tward2

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just curious this group's thoughts on using black powder weapons for defensive purposes. This excludes black powder cartridge guns. I could see maybe using my Ruger Old Army for home defense but wonder how long I could leave it loaded on my night stand while still being able to shoot when I pull the trigger.

This question can also include "SHTF" situations that are commonly discussed in modern firearm circles...typically situations reminiscent of Red Dawn that entail suvival and/or combat.

Not to be rude but this get's done about every six months.
The predominate answer is use modern guns for serious self defense.

Yes, All Traditional guns will kill, in the case of C&B revovlers they did just that exclusivley for decades before the cartridge guns came along.
There is no reason for them to not do that now.

The issue of reliability, Again, is the environment they are kept in and specifically moisture and/or temp swings.
But in general situation of "self defense" other firearms serve the exact purpose much better.

We can all have fantasy and dream, and Hollywood along with TV shows do make money selling their product,
but there's this neat thing called reality too.

Members here on this forum have left BP guns loaded for years, and they will fire.

Maybe I should rephrase -- "Who currently uses blackpowder weapons for defensive purposes and how do you like it?"

Iknow that G. Gordon Liddy, One of the Watergate guys, a convicted felon who is not allowed modern cartridge loading weapons, carries a large percussion revolver for defense.

roosterf106

These would the folks who do. It doesn't necessarily require a felony either. Furthermore, rules on what constitutes a "fire arm" also change and can form a complex tangle of state and federal regulation. Game Wardens have told me in passing that modern in lines with 209 primers are now considered fire arms. I don't actually know of any clarifying court decisions, but there may be some. At any rate, Mr. Liddy would appear to be in a somewhat gray area of the law.

and how do you like it?"
That may imply that you have had to use it. I think the actual incidents of firearm use for active self defense are few and far between. With blackpowder being a very small percentage of firearm ownership, then I would think the potential for an incident of a blackpowder arm being used would be near insignificant. That being said, if I were to rely on one I would want to be very proficient with it and pay close attention to loading and maintenance. I am with the consensus that modern weapons are better suited. Chances are you would be up against an intruder with a 9mm who could empty 11 shots on you by the time you could get two out of a C&B.

At any rate, Mr. Liddy would appear to be in a somewhat gray area of the law.

I know a convicted felon, on firearms related charges, who is not permited to even handle anything that can propel any projectile. That includes bows/arrows, pea shooters, anything. His firearms and related items are in locked storage by order of the court until his appeals are exhausted.

Yeah, I currently have a Beretta at my bedside and a Kel-Tec for concealed carry. "How do you like it" can also refer to the act of maintaining a bp firearm in a state of readiness or actually carrying one concealed. A quick Google search reveals stories of people carrying concealed with BP in the modern day.

As some have mentioned above, though, one big advantage of BP is the ease of purchase. I love the fact that I can go into a store and walk out with no background check or extra taxes, and build one from a kit myself with no questions asked...not that I have anything to hide but it's the principle of the thing :)

For a long time I owned only two handguns. A .22lr revolver and a Ruger Old Army. Both were kept loaded in our rural home. I loaded the Ruger with charge/wad/bullet. The bullet was the one designed for the ROA. I only used black powder. The gun was cleaned and dried before loading. When I took it out to shoot it went off every time, no matter weeks or years after loading. The ballistics were very similar to a .45 acp. I'm sure it would have been an effective defensive firearm.

I have a deer camp in a somewhat remote area of northern Lower Michigan. On occasion, I have found the only handgun I have with me is a replica of an 1860 Army Colt. Have loaded it carefully, but feel secure with that as my only handy weapon for a few days. graybeard

PowderShooter1836 said:
I'm just curious this group's thoughts on using black powder weapons for defensive purposes. This excludes black powder cartridge guns. I could see maybe using my Ruger Old Army for home defense but wonder how long I could leave it loaded on my night stand while still being able to shoot when I pull the trigger.

This question can also include "SHTF" situations that are commonly discussed in modern firearm circles...typically situations reminiscent of Red Dawn that entail suvival and/or combat.
If you are thinking of having to shoot someone in your house the Ruger will work OK if you can use it. If kept dry it will still shoot 100 years from now if the compound in the caps is stable.
Anything more than in the house?
Get a good 22 LR pistol that shoots into an inch or less at 25 and an AR of your choice, maybe a 1000 yard bolt gun but the 5.56 AR is the most useful all around. Good ones set up right with the right ammo are good for right off the muzzle to 600 yards. If things really get crappy BP smoke will get you killed.

Dan

PowderShooter1836 said:
Maybe I should rephrase -- "Who currently uses blackpowder weapons for defensive purposes and how do you like it?"
When I carried a 1860 Army for CCW (about 2 years IIRC) I shot it at least 3 times a week to keep the loads fresh. I also got pretty darned good with it. Carrying one all the time exposes the loads to greater possibility of contamination, sweat etc.
It will do if one has nothing else. But I graduated from the C&Bs for this about 30 years ago and reverted to a 1911 again. Since I was fast and accurate with it I did not feel under armed with a 1860 at the time, but the world is a different, far more dangerous place now than then.

Dan

PowderShooter1836 said:
I do. But I would rather have a proper semi auto like a glock or a 1911.
My spouse will not allow me to get a modern pistol.

So after I do some targets I clean it as well as I can. Load it carefuly and make sure each cap I use is snug and well seated, also I inspect each cap before I seat it to make sure 100% that there is detonater stuff in the cap.

I knew a fella that got shot and killed with a Colt 1860. He was shot at point blank in the solar plexus. The surgeon said that if the guy had been shot in the ER with doctors at the ready they could not have saved this mans life.
I feel pretty confidant my 1851 is just as deadly.

roosterf106 said:
Iknow that G. Gordon Liddy, One of the Watergate guys, a convicted felon who is not allowed modern cartridge loading weapons, carries a large percussion revolver for defense.

roosterf106

THIS would be a good reason to use BP for "self defence" OR if componets for modern guns become extinct...

Rifleman1776 said:
At any rate, Mr. Liddy would appear to be in a somewhat gray area of the law.

I know a convicted felon, on firearms related charges, who is not permited to even handle anything that can propel any projectile. That includes bows/arrows, pea shooters, anything. His firearms and related items are in locked storage by order of the court until his appeals are exhausted.

That, at least, is clear.

Prior to the handgun ban being lifted in Washington DC, the local gunshop about 10 blocks North of the DC line would occasionally get a person in from DC, buying a cap-n-ball handgun, or the components to load same. That type, at least, wasn't prohibited. One astute gentleman had several brass framed "Colt" copies, and his reason, instead of buying a modern shotgun or rifle, was that whatever he used would be confiscated when the police arrived. So for him it was better sink some money into several 1860 model handguns, than for a 12 gauge, which would leave him unarmed until he could obtain another following a self-defense situation. I'd rather hand over a $125 brass framed Colt, and have two more loaded, hidden around my house, than hand over my only 12 gauge.

LD

I would choose BP for a self-defense gun only if the law didn't allow me to have something more modern. I would NEVER consider using a weapon that was illegally owned. Even if you win at first you will lose in the end.

Self defense isn't about style and panache!

There is only one home defense gun and it is a 870 Remington 12ga pump with an 18” barrel.
My guess it would not even have to be loaded to put the fear of God into someone in a dark house and them hearing that well know sound of a Remington pump jacking a shell into it's chamber. Put the BP guns and your fantasies in a proper place but not in your self protection strategy.

Not me I keep a Sig 220 at the house and carry a S&W 38 +P+ or a 1911. I love my BP Revolvers but You have enough problems when you use a weapon for defence to worry about cleaning the gum right then! :wink: Geo. T.

I know we (almost) all own modern guns but the subject of this Topic is about black powder guns used for home defense.

Please refrain from discussing modern arms.
This includes the, "I use......" if the firearm uses a cartridge.

Back