• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which style to choose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbruin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a cabin and primarily hunt there, bald eagle s.f. and tiaghdaton s.f. in and around union county, clinton, lycoming, centre county pa. I am gonna have a custom(semi) built, thinking early lancaster 54.cal c swamped 42", yet also debating on a driesbach upper susquehanna style, which were made not too far from cabin originally, problem is they all tend to be smaller caliber, and i don't want to go lighter than a 54. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks. I want the gun to fit the area, just as it would have been in 1770ish era.

Your early Lancaster will be just the ticket...If you want a bit shorter barrel, look at the Isaac Haines on Jim Chamber's website...I also prefer a .54 for deer size game...

Your options are limitless. We are in the heart of longrifle country.

Are you aware that the 18th Century Artisans Show is happening in Lewisburg at the Country Cupboard on Rt. 15 next Friday and Saturday?

Here's the link: http://www.18thcenturyartisanshow.com/

The best builders from this area and beyond will be there showing their wears as well as many original rifles from the Upper Susquehanna area.

You are correct that Driesbachs, Baums and others from this area lend themselves better to smaller calibers as they tend to be "skinny" rifles.

If you are set on having a rifle from this area and can make it to the show I suggest you go to the room where the antique/original rifles are displayed and seed out a collector named Dr. Persing.

He has the earliest known signed Driesbach and it is nothing like any that followed. It is a pleasure to behold and it's pattern would lend itself nicely to a larger caliber as it is more in keeping with the scale of Berks County guns...where many of the builders of this area came from.

Check it out. You would likely find a builder there who would be more than willing to make a copy. Builders will be there of all repute and some, who's work is not better known yet, will do the work for a fair price. The bigger names usually asking more money of course...but worth it.

Heck, you may find something for sale that suits you that you can carry home.

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have that barrel profile put in any stock you want, but you will feel recoil more with a bigger drop like a susq. Berks, lancaster, lebanon, could all fit your need.

Yes i am going to attend the show next friday, thanks. One problem i find on completed guns is that i shoot from the wrong side! A hunting rifle, iron or tarnished brass, with nice wood. Not a safe queen. Been conversing with Don Yerks on a build.

Blackbruin said:
....One problem i find on completed guns is that i shoot from the wrong side!
Wrong side? All mine shoot from the muzzle, as I think they should. :hmm:..............................:grin:

Blackbruin said:
....A hunting rifle, iron or tarnished brass, with nice wood. Not a safe queen. Been conversing with Don Yerks on a build.

I don't know Don but have seen some of his work. Will he be set up there? If so, take him by to see the gun I mentioned. Likely he can flip it around for you. :wink:

Good luck on your search and Enjoy the show, J.D.

I know it's not a PA style, but a fullstock Hawken flintlock would be right at home in .54 cal or even .58 cal.

Another big bore option could be a Jaeger or a transition rifle.

take a look at rifles made by Nate McKenzie from Red Rock Pa. bought a J. P. Beck 50 cal. earlier this year beautiful rifle in fact i will be going down monday to pick up a PA. fowler .62 cal. that he just finished for me and when he gets back from lewisburg he will be starting a 54 cal. rifle really nice work and reasonably priced.

I'm up north of you, closer to the Susquehannock State Forest but spent much of my youth prowling around the Bald Eagle. Welcome to the board.

...I love that Centre and Union County area...have great friends in towns Millheim and Coburn...and there's an excellent mz shop in Millheim...but I digress...to answer your question, I strongly suggest you buy both mz's...after all, what would you do if one broke down?... :thumbsup:

I go thursday morning to his place, set details of the build, etc... Believe it or not i'm gonna go with a verner style bucks swamped 54, i held one and it just felt too good to pass up. And that was a right handed gun!

A Verner is an excellent choice in a .54...the stock design should accommodate this large caliber. Below is a BC in .54 that shoots very comfortably even though the comb has a slight curve. The bbl was a Rice "C" weight X 44" lg. This Bucks County was from a blank....Fred

BucksCo3TOW1-1.jpg

Back