• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Individual hunting methods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing our season is short. I'd burn out with the multi-month seasons some states allow.

I make a long 30-40 minute hike in to the very back edge of a state game land area for the few Saturday's in October and occasionally get a deer pushed my way by others coming in from the far side, but have only taken a couple in there...going to hunt squirrels in there this October instead.

But the season where my farm hunting starts opens around the 5th of November and I always take two full weeks vacation to hunt the pre-rut/rut every morning & afternoon...then work three days, then off/hunt the Thanksgiving holidays...if I have tags left after that, I keep at it on Saturdays, plus Christmas holidays, through New Year's day.

Usually getting tired by then but I keep telling myself it'll be a long time until next season comes again, and there are needy families that'll be glad to get the deer...

takes an hour to walk to my spot{where i used to hunt]and id get there an hour before daylight sit all day leave just before its to dark to see......

I hunt all open public land.. and on it.. if you want to be successful on a regular basis you have to get a long ways from vehicle access..and I mean as far as you can go... it's all I can do to make the trip in and out once a day. I take water and food and a liteweight jungle hammock with me. I don't hunt all day..I'll get in a tree before daylight and stay till at least noon..then go eat take a nap and hunt other spot that afternoon. The deer are scare and very wild in this area. You walk in an area and find sign..you better hunt it that afternoon and next morning..cause the first time a deer comes through there and smells where you walked they will move out for a wk. or more at least. I may hunt one spot that morning and 2 or 3 miles away that afternoon...try to stay ahead of them.

all of my deer hunting is done in period gear with my hunting partner sir henry. depending on the conditions for the day we normally sit for a spell or until we get to cold then we do mini drives. on occasion we hunt with a cpl of others from the list here but normally just him and i. we hunt really thick brushy terrain along a good sized stream. always see deer and even take one once in a while. we always figure it's a good hunt if we get within shooting range of a few whether shots are fired or not. the only time i ever used any type of scent was when i worked on a dairy farm. all i did was walk through the barnyard before heading to the woods. deer pay no attention whatsoever to the cow smell. i have had them walk right up to me by doing that.
pieman

Another favorite hunting method especially when I'm in the mountains is to have a good horse under me. :front:

ron50.jpg

I can't stand to look at the same tree all day, so I still hunt. 3 steps MAX, stop, look, look ,look and then continue. Turn full circle every so often as they are sneeking out behind. This is for both Elk and Deer. I find that Elk and Whitetail are the same, both like the thickest, nastiest stuff you can find. The difference is that you can usually go back day after day to the same place for a Buck, however a Bull will move on after 1 or 2 contacts with a human. Probably not as successful as a sitter, but a lot more fun in my opinion.

I totally agree!

I have been hunting that way for years now and I usually harvest my deer with in the first hour or two of light.

NTWF,
You never cease to amaze! Another great photo! If you ain't the real deal then nobody is. I've read about Plains Indians hunting buffalo from horseback but not in Michigan. What do you hunt with a bow, on horseback in Michigan? Whatever your answer is, I'll bet you have a photo of a trophy specimen with an arrow in it!
Finnwolf

Back