• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights for Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody got any tips on good sights for old eyes. I got a .54cal. kit ordered and don't really know what front sight is coming with it..$3.50 is all I know, so probably just standard kit sight. I did tell Dick at Pecatonica to send a buckhorn rear sight just to see how I like it. I figured I would probably change out the sights anyway.
Just wondering if anyone had any advice far a which sights are best.
Thanks for any info.

Hoyt:

As an old competitive high power shooter I can tell you that there are only three cures for old eyes.
Corrective lens;
Corrective surgery;
And an Iris on a rear peep sight.
The sight you need to see is the front, so keep it wide and black it with a carbide lamp.
Also on the corrective lens, eyeglasses don

I use the dollar store reading glasses if I want to read or just see one of anything up close..but I can't hunt with them. They just get in the way trying to look down the barrel. I can see the front sight good..just things up close are a blurr.
I've pretty much decided to try that peep site..hope I can see through the hole...and also going to try the wide vee notch. I like the looks of a sight on the other muzzleloading forums..A site for old eyes thread..I may try that setup.
Thanks for all the info.

For me the Peep does great for target only, but not nearly enough light for hunting, so I took mine off & went back to a taller flat top rear sight with large notch & tall flat thicker front sight.

When you get ready to set the sights up on the rifle,(rifle needs to be built first) take a small flat refrigerator magnet & cut a piece off & put this the barrel & sight on top of it, hold the rifle up to the light or outside to the sky while shouldering the rifle, now slide the rear sight forward toward the muzzle til you can see it clearly & then go 1 to 1.5" more.

A black permanent parker of the front sight will work quickly & easily on the sights when target shooting or hunting. It is still important the angles on flats on the sights be correct as not to reflect the sunlight.

:imo:

50-PEEP.jpg

I have found with the right sized peep, they work just fine for hunting! I really like the Merit adjustable and my Glo-Globe front with the Tritium front post.
GloGlobe.jpg

If you get the right set of peeps, they cannot be beat!

Hoyt: I like that name it,s my Uncle and mentor to hunting and fishing. Now to sites Peep sites are by far the best for targets. If you need a Peep just use a post for the front not a full globe. I think the kind with full globe covers to much of the animal and is hard to find in low light. I think for hunting the rear Peep and that glowing dot should be great without the cover around it.
Fox :imo:

I think the kind with full globe covers to much of the animal

Thick as it is around here..I wouldn't like that.
Thank ya'll for all the info..I will try some of all of them. It won't break the bank on most of these..less I get into the fancy ones...which I ain't.
The tritium don't come cheap though..have one on a bow site.

I have a tang peep site on my Sharps with an extra disc that i modified for hunting. I drilled it out to 3/32", then epoxied a brass washer I made with a 3/32" hole in it, on the eye side of the disc. When hunting I keep the brass polished bright and it catches light much better than a regular peep. It added about another thirty minutes of hunt time. I should also mention that I use a silver 1/16th blade on all my hunting guns. That helps on any iron sighted gun where you will be in shadows or semi dark conditions.

GloGlobe.jpg

Ah wood be carreful iffen Ah was up in Massasschushoots wit that thin!

Ye know, thar wer a time whan thye wood burn peepole fer wichcraft up in that areeea an thos peepole didn't have nothin as skeery as that lil greeen eye what's a lookin at us in tha dark. :shocking: :shocking: :: :: ::

Don't want nuttin on my firelocks what are like to give me leukemia if I wipe the front sight after lickin my thumb a second time.

I keep an old pair of glasses just for huntin. No bifocals, can't read for spit with 'em, but the front sight is sharp. 'Splan to your optician what you want them for. You'd be amazed what the right prescription can do for you.

62peep.jpg

Just finished this rail on my 62cal. With the Merit adjustable peep that opens up to 5/32s and my Vodo front globe, it works very well in low light!

The front globe has a 17/32 hole thru it, it doesn't seem to cover or block out much of a deer. I does keep you from licking that radioactive front sight! :shocking:

Latest posts

Back