• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

vented lock and shooters to my right

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millsman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am shooting a vintage target rifle (1860s) with a tiny vented platinum? plug below the nipple. I was not aware until a shooter to my right remarked to me that they were getting hit by I guess hot powder that the tiny hole was the cause of their discomfort and was a danger.So my question is why do some locks have this feature and other than making sure that no one is on my right when shooting what if anything should I do?

I am shooting a vintage target rifle (1860s) with a tiny vented platinum? plug below the nipple. I was not aware until a shooter to my right remarked to me that they were getting hit by I guess hot powder that the tiny hole was the cause of their discomfort and was a danger.So my question is why do some locks have this feature and other than making sure that no one is on my right when shooting what if anything should I do?

Never heard of that either...but it might be designed after the same reason that the Hot Shot nipples have that tiny side hole in them to make pressure more consistent.

Also, wonder if it could be a "clean-out" screw that's perhaps burned through, leaking, etc?

Without seeing the situation we can only guess! Your discription is very vague.

This is probably not a vent but a missing cleanout screw on the bolster or drum!

What may look like a platinum "vent" may be an insert or threaded plug installed due to wear on the threads of the origional cleanout screw.

The only "venting" I have seen on caplocks involves a small hole drilled between the nipple and barrel angled up and to the front of the shooter.

This allows the flash to reach the powder charge without compressing air in front of the flame.

Latest posts

Back