• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I think I broke the lock on my 1861 springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKhunter

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Yesterday at the range I was shooting my 1861 "COLT"Springfield and after about 30 shots the lock started to give me a problem.
When I pull the trigger she would stop at the halfcock position.............Now thats all it does :rolleyes:
When I got home I took the lock off and noticed that the tip of the sear seams torn up and metal is shaving off.
After tinkering with it I can get it to hit the nipple but you have to realy pull hard and as far back as the trigger will go or she stops at half cock. :curse:
I can shoot it like this.
Can I order this piece somewhere?
Maybe a better quality piece of metal?
How do I fix this %$#@ thing !!!!!

Any of you ever have this problem?
HELP

This gun has less than 150 shots through it

Repro muzzle loading rifles made in Italy only have to fire once to be proofed and accepted. They make no attempt to tune the locks or ensure that it will fire a second time. Check the lock mortise and see if the sear is rubbing on the wood. If not, you need the lock "tuned" and perhaps a replacement sear. I tune musket and trapdoor locks for $25 plus return postage. My turn-around time is just a couple of days.

Your sear is too soft. You can order sears from companies such as Dixie Gun Works and Numrich. If you have access to a oxy-acetylene torch outfit, you can weld a new nose on the sear using filler rod made of a steel that can be hardened. File it down to original size and contour in it's soft state, then harden and temper the sear. Draw it to a blue/blue-gray and it should give you good service.

Your best bet is to try to track down the maker of the gun. It may be possible that parts are available from them.

The parts from Dixie may or may not fit your gun. It depends on who made it. If you call them, they may ask that you send the part to them so they can try to match it up with something they have in stock.

The other option is to harden the material yourself using a case hardening product like Kasenit.
Follow this quick link to a post dealing with a problem very much like yours. This link deals with a soft tumbler, but the process and advise would be the same for your sear.
CASE HARDENING A TUMBLER

Do not continue to shoot the gun in its present condition.
It will damange the sear end and possibly break the tumbler.

Back