• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with all those guns you've built...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chawlie1100

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey fellers!

I asked this question on a different thread but I figured I'd post it anyways as a general question for the whole forum. Since I am fairly new at building and am looking to get better (build more guns) I have come upon a personal dilemma. And, that is, what am I to do with all the guns I am making or hoping to make. Do you habitual builders just have dozens of guns lying around, do you give them away, or do you dependably sell them? If you sell them is this a break even of sorts on cost of goods or to you make enough to buy new tools, parts, etc....?

I am really interested in what you have to say about this. Thanks!!!!

Wow! You're asking a lot of questions with a lot of different answers that depend on the individual builder, what level he's at and whether it's his hoby or his business.

To answer most of 'em in one fell swoop....it's a personal choice.

As far as breaking even, making money (or even loosing money) on particular builds, it is going to depend on the materials used and the quality of the finished gun.... and some times there's a premium for a certain builder's name on the barrel.

It's not uncommon for a builder starting out to sell each gun at component cost or a little higher to finance his next build....but even beginners can get good money if they have talent or have a person willing to buy who doesn't know a Baum from a Beck.

I'll be interested in hearing others responses. Enjoy, J.D.

I've built three rifles, and am working on my fourth. Two I use, and the third one I sold for $1800.00. Did I get back my wage? Of course not. But I'm happy.

I agree, unless you are a known builder you probably aren't going to make any profit- just cover the component costs if you are lucky. I have a lot of guns lying around.

I just keep them as reference material and resources for future builds, or lend similar ones to friends that are doing builds to refer to. Pictures are great, but no substitute for the real McCoy.

Besides, a man's worth is measured by the number of his rifles.

Started building LRs in 1977 for my own use because of the poor quality then available. In a few years the rack was full of LRs which mostly weren't used....so, decided to sell most. Thought it would be difficult to "let go" of these LRs which I had at times "sweated over", but in the end, they all went except my "hunters"

Of these earlier builds, don't really know if I made a decent hourly wage....afterall, they were sorta practice guns which taught me a lot.

Once I realized that building MLers is more important to me than owning, all subsequent MLers were sold for a profit. Seeing I make many of the components VS buying them much cheaper, I put more hours into a build...but, the hand made parts look a heckuva lot better.

At 81 yrs, I only build 2 LRs/yr and am slowing down some, but the hours spent in the shop every morning are my daily "therapy"....that's also a way to "get paid".....Fred

Put them on an auction site and smile as the return goes up to "break-even" some day... Its a GREAT hobby that might ALMOST pay for the parts... :grin:

Thanks for the input gentlemen! I must clarify in that I am not looking to do this as a business, but rather a hobby that pays for itself. I have a wife at home who wouldn't smile on my time in the shop if it also was eating up the budget... But I understand not reaping the labor cost... I am currently a part-time musician and have learned to make good money at that... That is until I count the hours of practice. But I love learning and playing... And the gigs cover travel, instruments, and a little extra to call it worthwhile!!

I only build for family and close friends so all I build are kept either in family or close by.Simple fact unless you are a well known builder you will "make" about a dollar an hour building rifles if you are lucky!Satisfaction is the reason to build not to make money! :idunno:

I've built two at this point and I'm currently building number 3. I have two sons and though they don't care to hunt, some day they'll own most of my muzzleloaders. I also have 3 brothers who hunt and hope to some day have grandchildren so I really can't imagine that I'm going to run out of places to put all of these guns. That said, each one costs me the cost of parts, which isn't cheap. I'm hoping to augment some of that cost by doing more of the work myself (instead of paying someone to partially inlet, solder, etc.) and by coming up with some of my own gunstocks. I haven't ruled out the possibility of some day selling one or more to pay for upcoming builds but I don't see that in my near future.

If you want to build for fun you can sell them for enough to keep your hobby going for 50 years or more. It all depends on how good you are willing to get and how much effort, time, and money you are willing to put forth. It is sort of like going to school. If you drop out you won't do so good. If you got a masters degree you can make a very good living at it.
Keep this in mind. Millionaires are never broke but they don't want Kmart guns.

Hi All !!!

I too give my hobbies off to Family and Friend and as a Gem-Cutter (faceter) and Gold/Silver smith, I have spent some serious money over the last sixty years... No regret's.....
As far as Firearms, I have buiilt many, but only Cartridge type and no Muzzle stuffers (I do shoot them though) ... My Father in Law gave me a Kit, thirty years ago and it's still in the box..
My point (finely) is that some years back, I was informed that the Fed's were Taxing the home-builders and forcing them to regestur as a fire-arms manufacture !!! I have not heard much on this lately so I guess in a World wide market, we don't compete !!! OR, is it different for our style ???

TIA...

Ed.....

I don't have the details in front of me, but it was the late longrifle builder John Bivens that got in trouble over the excise tax on builders and fought the feds in court. As I remember the story, he lost.

From what I understand, the restrictions were loosened at some point and a builder can now produce something like 25 or 50 guns a year without being held liable for the tax.

IIRC, that's why some companies have you order your lock or barrel separately from their "kits" so they won't get caught up in this by selling "guns".

Perhaps one of the pro's will chime in here and clear this up. Enjoy, J.D.

Back