• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand gun sholder stock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was under the impresion that unless your pistol came with one before they were outlawed that a shoulder stock is not allowed by law.

Is that true? What are the rules on shoulder stocks for your pistol?

Are they made for a Walker or a Dragoon?

I have only personnaly seen them for the 3rd model Dragoon,1860 and 1861. All Had 4 screw frames. I hear they were also available for the 1851 but I have never seen one........

Sam Colt was a great believer in them and tried selling the idea to the Army.

He was successful in this with the creation of the First Model Dragoon and all subsequent Dragoons.

Stocks were also made for the 1851 Navy.

Colt's 1860 Army was made to use a shoulder stock.
These pistols have a "fourth" screw in the sides of the frame which is intended to provide an attachment point for the shoulder stock.
A notch is cut into the bottom of the grip frame for the clamp on the stock to hook into.

The stocks made by Colt were usually solid walnut with a metal clamp to attach them to the gun.
Some of the stocks supplied were hollow and contained a canteen.

There was at least a few stocks that had what was called, a "coffee grinder" built into them but most agree that the nickname is mistaken. The grinder was intended to grind up dried corn or other grains the troops came across.

The troopers didn't share Colts belief that these add on shoulder stocks were a good thing.

The close proximity of the rear of a cap and ball pistol firing to the shooters face was disliked by most who used them.
Also, shooting the Colt's at long range, the one time that a shoulder stock would be handy, was difficult because of the short sighting radius between the sights. The small powder charges and short barrels also didn't produce the power needed to be effective at long ranges.

As for owning and using the stocks, or a replica of them on a Cap & Ball pistol, it is totally legal in the USA.
They are considered as pre 1898 antiques and not controlled.

Great information as usual. I had never thought about the nipple being right in front of the eyes. I am 4 eyed so I often overlook these matters as I always wear glasses. I dislike the high screws on the 1860's but the main reason I never got one was the price. Added to a good revolver it amounts to the cost of a good rifle! Geo. T.

Deer_gun.jpg

My first one.
Brass36Stock.jpg

Fun to shoot, I have had one for a long time. Handy for backpacking.

William Alexander

that is so cool

I have not seen one quite like it before. I have seen frames that are similar but it is rather differant than the ones I have seen. What pistol does it go to? Who made it?

Cynthialee said:
that is so cool

I have not seen one quite like it before. I have seen frames that are similar but it is rather differant than the ones I have seen. What pistol does it go to? Who made it?

Hi Cynthialee , that stock is made by Colt I believe. It would fit any Colt style frame.
It would fit like yours does, with a longer hammer screw. That is how your fits right?

I posted that picture for the two posters that said they may want to make one.

Would you like to tell us the different in accuracy with your gun with and without the stock?

William Alexander

I don't have a stock for a revolver. I have a couple underhammer pistols that have detachable stocks.

I kill a deer in December with this one.

DSC00854.jpg

Here is another I built with a detachable stock.

104.jpg

I am currently working on another stock for a H&A underhammer pistol.

SC45-70

I just love your underhammer pistol/stock combos.

As for the question about acuracy and the stock...
It helps to group better, but I ain't used to it completely.
I need to get me a couple of spare cylenders so I can just shoot a bunch of rounds before I need to reload. By the time I get reloaded and ready to shoot it again something inevitably comes up and I get side tracked.

I like them, they looks good. I like underhammers and pistols with stocks.
I have an H&A type underhammer pistol that I put a Crosmen shoulder stock on.
A neat little gun, I can’t find it after the flood here. :( http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop

William Alexander

Last edited by a moderator:
sc45-70 said:
I don't have a stock for a revolver. I have a couple underhammer pistols that have detachable stocks.

I kill a deer in December with this one.

DSC00854.jpg

Here is another I built with a detachable stock.

104.jpg

I am currently working on another stock for a H&A underhammer pistol.

SC45-70
It's alive! Looks like a Franken-blackpowder gun to me. I see DNA from a Colt 1911 (grips) and an 1851 extra long barrel... :haha:

Latest posts

Back