• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speedloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwbsmokey

54 Cal
Reaction score
I am not concerned with being HC or PC but I do like to be as "old school" as I can when possible. I load from a loading block, keep "antiqued" Altoids tins in my shooting bag etc. The premeasured speedloaders I have are plastic and I would like some ideas on something that is not so modern. I have thought about copper or brass tubes that are sealed on one end, or drilled out dowels that are capped with a cork, but I'm unsure how secure they will be against becoming uncorked and spilling. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Get some cigerette papers, wrap'm around a 3/8 brass tube, twist one end, pour the powder charge down the tube, pull the paper off and twist the other end.
Or just make paper cartridges, there are several threads about paper cartridge making.

Or, just make the first shot count and take your time loading the second, :wink:

If you no longer want to use the TC quick shots or TC 4n1 loaders just use a horn and measure or even a small flat horn.

River cane or bamboo sections stopped by a cork. If they are in a bag no worries about the cork popping loose. I have seen some where the maker left a hump, or flange, above the corked section to which he tied a leather tong and hung them from his bag. I am pretty sure I saw that picture on this forum so maybe you could search it here.

One of the members here (Armymedic2) made a speedloader from a section of deer atler(see his post about old school speedloader). I made a copy(perhaps a poor copy) that works reasonably well with my .45s. I think that should avoid using plastic and what not. Take care

Perhaps not traditional, but I use .444 marlin brass cases for my perc. shotgun. They have the capacity of 60+ grs., and still room for a cork stopper. They also fit neatly into the loops of a leather cartridge belt.

I use cane and a cork a lot but be careful because:
One dark morning, I grabbed one of my canes,poured the " powder" down the barrel and loaded ball.
Later, under my tree, I thought the ramrod went down a long ways when I seated the ball that morning.
That was my first dry ball loading.
My cane was the empty of my three from the last hunt. Sure would of made for some happy deer that morning!

Yeah he did a great job. I had just made several sets of measures and then I saw that great idea. The problem is that I have Texas deer antlers so I dont have enough web to do the loading block part. I do have my eyes peeled though! Geo. T.

Latest posts

Back