• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Persian Long Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's another finished (I think) project.

Gun: Northern Persian. Late 18th - very early 19th Century. Overall length about 49". Barrel and lock were cleaned sometime in the past.
Lock: Miquelet style with old solder repairs on the hammer. :(
Stock: Typical North Persian style. Can't tell what type of wood. The entire stock is covered with fine mosaic work made of very small pieces of bone, wood, and brass. Areas of losses to the mosaic work. :cursing:
Barrel: Persian made barrel with engraving and makers mark at the breech. Small trace of silver in the engraving. Barrel is 35 1/2" long - and is now a .54 caliber smooth bore with new barrel liner by Bob Hoyt. :) Unusual front sight with single hole rear peep-type sight.
Anyway, this project turned out pretty good. I'm happy. You won't see one of these at the Range every day. But then, my brother says no one else would want one :haha:
Here's a bunch of photos. The last photos show the gun with original leather powder flask (needs a new stopper) and smaller priming flask. Both still in usable condition. Oh, and just for fun, an original saddle bag. :haha: Hope you enjoy the pics. Rick. :hatsoff:
DSC00131Medium.jpg

DSC00132Medium.jpg

DSC00140Medium.jpg

DSC00135Medium.jpg

DSC00141Medium.jpg

DSC00134Medium.jpg

DSC00136Medium.jpg

DSC00138Medium.jpg

DSC00133Medium.jpg

DSC00137Medium.jpg

DSC00139Medium.jpg

DSC00147Medium.jpg

Hi Ricky,
Wonderful photos. What a beautiful gun! Is the white paper-like material under the inlays glue or some sort of backing? Can you speculate what the glue might be?

Thanks for sharing.

dave

Why, hasn't the barrel work stuffed the guns value, will the cock hold up ????

Rick: Great stuff, amigo! Does this mean you got all your barrels? I think a guy could stare at that rifle for days and still see something new. The pouch and priming horn are equally wonderful. Can't imagine how the pouch might have looked brand new, with all the patternwork sharp and fresh.

Hi Dave. Thanks. She's a little beat up :haha: but still usable. (I seem to be forever the optimist. :rotf:
The material immediately behind the decor seems like a paper mache (spelling?) type material, that is then glued on to the stock. I can't seem to determine the glue. Maybe a sap type substance similar to what they attached sword blades to handles? I know glue does eventually age. I know the Indians made complete powder flasks using the same method. the stuff is very hard but seems to turn brittle after age. I'll have to be a tad careful with the stock on this one. Rick.

YES! the barrel liner does depreciate the value. But with the old hammer repair and the stock chips, a lot of the value was already diminished. That's why I selected this one to be re-born as a shooter. (I'm probably possessed :haha: ) If the gun had been 90%+, I would not do it.
The hammer arm does seem a bit thin. I too hope it holds up :haha: We'll see. The lock still needs a tad of adjustment, but the timing is basically there. Rick.

Hi Bill. No, I'm still owed three more barrels. One long gun and two pistols.
What you are calling the pouch (it does look like a "shot" pouch doesn't it) is actually the primary powder flask, missing a stopper. The stiff leather is still in decent shape with all the stiching tight and intact. It just has a couple small dents, but perfectly usable.
The smaller smaller priming flask works fine. It's just missing it's small threaded base plug.
Thanks again, Rick. :hatsoff:

Very cool!

Now, if only we could get the current Persians to supply Hezbollah and Hamas with those sorts of rifles!

I can just imagine what it looked like the day it left the smiths workshop back when it was brand new. All that elaborate work is impressive.
As for fixing it up so it actually works...? Makes it more desireable to me than an old pretty gun that can only be looked at.
:thumbsup:

That buttstock looks like it would not be very comfortable to shoot at all.

Latest posts

Back