• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Building Class

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard his spiel on other forums and wouldn't put a dime in his pocket. Look what has happened in NYSSR, you think you can get along with these fools?!? Never give an inch! Or a dime!
Robby

Robby & Mitch,

Perhaps we should quit what we're doing and start building and selling 7 round magazines! Could be quite profitable. Might be easier to go into business down here though. :shake:

On a serious note, don't those clowns up there see what they've done? If they would have just stuck with the 10 round limit they wouldn't have been creating a whole new market for people to profit on designing and building magazines that meet the new requirements.

Just goes to show, again, the ignorance of the people writing these laws.

Shane, You and others here have a good point and I hope some have enough integrity to take it to heart.

Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
Hey Matt, I saw the humor. No different than Chambers' kit building classes. These kind of events are a win-win for all involved. It goes on in a lot of trades and hobies.

Perhaps Forrest would have appreciated your post a little more if you'd of used a :wink: or a :grin: or a :haha: ...and not a :doh:

:hatsoff: Enjoy, J.D.

I owe Matt an appology. After re-reading his comment, and along with jdkerstetter's post, I completely mis-iterperted his meaning. I know now it was a simple jest, as to TOW posting an ad for a gun building class that is taking place elsewhere in their state. I misunderstood your post, and I am sorry for my comments.

As a side note, as far as I can tell TOW has nothing to do with the gunbuilding class, other than posting an ad that states there is one going on someplace in northern Minnesota. I am assuming that they did it as nothing more than a courteousy to the gunbuilders in their local area. Like Matt said, I have talked with the guys there and I can assure you that you have nothing to fear about their support of the 2nd ammendment. They may not even know about Brent's writings in his local paper. I've briefly met him, and I didn't even know, and am very shocked to discover them.

I hope we can put this topic thread to rest, or at least move it to another forum. It has moved really :eek:ff for the building forum, which I'm disappointed in that I contributed to.

By my way of thinking, the guns carried by many of the colonists and revolutionaries were military grade muskets - same as carried by the European armies. In other words, the Brown Bess was the assault rifle of its day. And yet, somehow the folks who framed the Bill of Rights after ratifying the Constitution allowed the use of said weapons. Technology changes, a gun is a gun, and bad/mentally ill people will use and misuse any tools at their disposal. Others may disagree.

I remain your humble servant,

Dave

Forrest said:
As a side note, as far as I can tell TOW has nothing to do with the gunbuilding class, other than posting an ad that states there is one going on someplace in northern Minnesota. I am assuming that they did it as nothing more than a courteousy to the gunbuilders in their local area. ......... They may not even know about Brent's writings in his local paper. I've briefly met him, and I didn't even know, and am very shocked to discover them.

Just to offer a bit of clarification. I e mailed them and asked outright. They aren't connected to the class other than promoting it in their newsletter and had no idea about the Op-Ed until customers started e mailing them.

Have you ever been to Grand Marais, MN? Beautiful, but it's a very small town on the north shore of Lake Superior. Dress appropriately.

So, the way I read this, Track of the Wolf was trying to do us builders a favor by letting us know that a gun building class would be available to us up in the frozen North.

They didn't know about the instructors opinions about political issues that many of us find worse than offensive.

I've always had excellent results when I ordered things from TOTW and they offer a lot of things at a fair price.

Based on this, I will continue to deal with them and to thank them for trying to be helpful by letting folks know about the class.

Now, as far as the class is concerned I'd have to spend several thousand dollars just getting there but knowing the instructors opinions about proposed gun laws, I don't think I would go to his class if it was across the street.

Brent is actually pretty darn good at the build, most of his work has been in restoration of original (museum grade stuff).

I have friends that know him and have missed meeting him just as a matter of poor timing. I know he has put word out about this class in just about any venue he could find.

That area of the state is 200 miles from me and yeah, Grand Marias is purtty, rich in fur trade history.
But that part of the state is rather remote and also full of eccentric Artistic folks,
Painters, Photographers, Novelists, builders of furniture,,,
He has no affiliation with Track beyond being a respected builder.

I know of no other offering, past or current, for a builders class for just Traditional arms in the state.
John Donaldson has taken an apprentice recently, but no classes.
I hope he fills the class and shares some of his experiance.
(just don't talk politics)

Really? Just don't talk politics?! I'm not so smitten by the celebrity culture that I have to meet this guy. Now, he may be the nicest guy in the world and the worlds greatest builder of the longrifle...don't know, never heard of him before this. But I won't be supporting him and hope nobody else does either.

This guy wrote an Op-ed supporting gun contol and used his status as a gun builder to get it published. He didn't just answer when asked for his opinion, he went out of his way to GIVE it freely...to share when nobody asked!!!

If we all just stood up for what we believe in there would be a lot less wrong. Now, your thinking, "That's what this guy did, he stood up for what he thought was right." Well, we differ on our deffinition of right and I look at like having beers in the White House garden....I won't be going if invited any time soon.

Enjoy, J.D.

Seem's theres a forum section here now for politics,,
I won't participate there either.

It's a simple and age old way of getting along with folks all over,
You mean to say you never heard,
Don't talk Politics or Religion?

By the way, I'm not driving up there to take the class, nor have I made a special trip to meet the guy.
I know guy's in that area that have had work done by him.

He wasn't going to get my money before and he's not getting it now, But neither has anything to do with what he writes in the local rag.

Wondering?????Would he not allow you in his class because of your views on Gun Control???!!!!???? If he is teaching you how to build a rifle/firearm he can't be "ALL" control..We need to UNIFY and beat the NO/control guns,,It can not be done this way........

You need to seek out what he wrote so you can read it for yourself. Gunbuilder or no, he is more "gun control" than not.

Enjoy, J.D.

To All:

Well, we're about building here so let's get back at it.

Enough talk of politics and such.

If anyone wants to go to that class, it's their decision to make, not ours. Maybe they can tell us how it went and if they learned anything??
:)

I am be more concerned about an instructors skills and techniques than his politics.

Your not alone. Many of the greatest whiners in history, and sadly, many who were never able to speak their piece, because they didn't get it till they didn't have it.
Robby

Robby said:
Your not alone. Many of the greatest whiners in history, and sadly, many who were never able to speak their piece, because they didn't get it till they didn't have it.
Robby
The Guinness commercial came to mind when I read this, "Brilliant!"
It's really hard to regain your footing on a slippery slope.

Regards,
Mike

Back