• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Building Class

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Track of the Wolf has announced a Gun Building Class at the North House Folk School,March 18-27. with instruction by Brent Gurtek,in Grand Marais , Minn.

"Track of the Wolf has announced a Gun Building Class"

Gee, I wonder where they will be getting the parts?

:doh:

laffindog said:
"Track of the Wolf has announced a Gun Building Class"

Gee, I wonder where they will be getting the parts?

:doh:

From the same manufacturers that every other supplier gets theirs from. That is except for all the ones that they have started making themselves recently.

Time to catch up on the times there bud.

Back to the topic...wish I could make it over there for it, it's only about a long days drive for me. I have seen a lot of Brent's work, and would think anyone that could attend would be very happy with the class.

That is except for all the ones that they have started making themselves recently.

Explain please.

There may be some thngs going on in the background, Bud, that not every one knows about.

laffindog said:
That is except for all the ones that they have started making themselves recently.

Explain please.

There may be some thngs going on in the background, Bud, that not every one knows about.

They have started to make all of their own castings, along with many other parts.

I've spent time in their shop and talked with them about this very issue. They have sometimes
gotten bad word of mouth for not having parts in stock from time to time that come from manufacturers who they have absolutely no control over. So to help relieve that, they have spent a lot of money the past few years to bring some of those industries in house.

So before you bash an American company on the internet, that is putting their necks on the line by investing large amounts of capital, and hiring Americans for well paying manufacturing jobs, next time you will think twice.

"So before you bash an American company on the internet, that is putting their necks on the line by investing large amounts of capital, and hiring Americans for well paying manufacturing jobs, next time you will think twice."

Huh? Who is bashing? I'm certainly not bashing TOW. I think you are a little quick to the draw, maybe having a bad day.

Speaking of American companies busting hump to make it with everything on the line, take two seconds to look at my profile, go to the website displayed there and you will understand things better. Or maybe you won't, doesn't really matter.

Anyone on the "inside" would have seen the humor in my comment. That's all it was, a little jest.

laffindog said:
Anyone on the "inside" would have seen the humor in my comment. That's all it was, a little jest.

I'm sure to the couple of people who are "on the inside" that read your post, it was hilarious.

For the vast majority of the rest of us, like myself, that casually read these message boards, I took it as "don't buy anything from TOW, they never have anything in stock". Whether or not that was your intention, is irrelevant. If one person took it that way, the damage was done. As a business owner I would have thought you would be smart enough to realize that, but maybe I am asking too much.

Whether it is TOW, Dixie, the Rifle Shoppe, Green Mountain, etc...there is way too much bad mouthing of businesses going on, on these message boards. We need to be supporting all of these companies, because if they start falling by the wayside, so will our pastime.

To get this thread back on topic after we've hijacked it, I really hope anyone that can make it up to Brent Gurtek's class will do it. He is a great guy, and an outstanding gun builder. It would be well worth the time and money to take advantage of it.

Before you take a class with Brent you might want to read his quote below in responce to his anti gun op ed piece in his local paper.He calls for backround checks for purchases between private citizens.He calls for backround checks before buying even a muzzle loader.Not sure how you can be a gun maker and be anti gun but heres his quote for what it's worth.

Concerning my OpEd to a newspaper on background checks at gun shows:
I'm the gun maker who favors background checks at gun shows for almost all gun transfers, muzzle loaders included. Better still would be BCs for all gun transfers, regardless of venue, except between close relatives.
In jurisdictions that require nearly universal BCs at gun shows there have been no negative impacts on such shows.
And after studying this country's gun violence issue I'm convinced that about 1/2-dozen well-written, well-funded & well-enforced NATIONAL gun laws would drastically cut our nation's gun death & injury rates. None of them would be unconstitutional, or of any real burden to law-abiding gun owners.
To protect our shooting sports heritage & our 2nd Amendment rights in a ever more urbanized world we gun folks must be proactive in keeping firearms out of the hands of dangerous individuals who, by their own actions, have forfeited their right of gun ownership.

Brent Gurtek
Gun Maker

....and he goes on to say.....
Sorry for the deafening silence but I was in my shop all day. Regarding my message to the Supremes I was very anxious as to the outcome of the Heller case, but figured it would come out O.K. Which, of course, it did.
But all rights have limitations, written or implied. In the issue concernng the right to arms, even our English forebearers whose "right to arms" is (along with Enlightenment ideas) the basis for our such rights today, there were censures against criminals & nut-jobs acquiring weapons.
Persons may, by their own misdeeds of violence, lose the right to arms (not to mention liberty & life in some cases).

A national system of about 6 or so gun laws would go a long way to reduce gun violence. Instead we have 20,000+ local, state & national laws that are unconnected. And many of those have within them inherent loopholes.
A city or state can pass very strict gun laws yet have the whole effort undone by adjoining jurisdictions with lax laws. It's like a home owner who is anal about lawn care but has neighbors who do little to keep up their own property. The "anal" owner is very likely to have dandilions, etc, no matter how much he/she weeds, etc, because the pollen passes to their yard from the neighbor's. That doesn't mean that weeding, etc, is inherently ineffective. It just means that the whole neighborhood needs to get with the program.
American cities are not citidels. They're not walled enclaves with guards at the gates that search every person or vehicle that enters their corp limit to keep unauthorized guns out. Thus there's no way for local, or even state laws to be effective in a modern, free moving culture. You need a national policy for that. Then the crooks will have to either make weapons like Bubbles & me or smuggle them accross the border. No doubt some will try either. But a cottage industry of illicit gun "manufacturers" can't make arms in the quantity & quality of the current major manufacturers. And as far as smuggling is concerned, guns have flown out of our country at both borders for quite some time; at the south since at least the Poncho Villa days. I doubt that we'd see an appreciable influx of arms at our border.

I used to believe that gun regulations were, at best, pure folly. I actually hated those who proposed them.
No I find myself a champion of some of them.

Still, I'm opposed to any gun ban. I have no problem w/permit to carry/ concealed carry laws. Got no problem w/ .50 BMG rifles but do feel that they are ballistically in a class by themselves & under the right circumstances (especially regarding the semi-auto models) could cause some havoc. Got no problem w/ guns in parks.

But I do have a problem with anyone selling a gun to someone they don't know w/o verifying that the person is, as the English would have said, a "good subject" ("good citizen" in our case).
Background checks are not the only way to do it. "Permit to Transfer" cards, like are used by FFLs in Minnesota per state law, work great & leave no record of the gun acquisition.

A person can have as many guns as there are in the Cody Museum. More power to them as far as I'm concerned. I just want to know that they can be trusted with those guns & the right "good" citizens have been given to posess them.

Brent
G. M.

Enjoy, J.D.

I thought we were talking about a gun building class at TOTW? :eek:ff

Sounds like a good opportunity to learn something, which is always a good thing.

I have no idea about Tracks involvment as the classes are not at Track.But as the instructor Brent Gurtek (who will profit from the class)see's no problem with my Rights that are protected by the 2nd Ammendment being infringed upon I thought a disclaimer was in order.As a resident of NY who had several of my Liberties taken away this week I think people should be informed so they can make a decision where to spend their money.

Mitch Yates

"For the vast majority of the rest of us, like myself, that casually read these message boards, I took it as "don't buy anything from TOW, they never have anything in stock".

I don't know why you think you can speak for the vast majority - AND I really really hope that you don't. I especially hope that the vast majority would never make the leap to the conclusion that my statement had anything to do with TOW "never having anything in stock" That is too ridiculous to address.

I deal with TOW all the time, Have had many conversations with Dave, Carol and even supply some parts to them. Dave is not only hard working and smart, I consider him a marketing genious and have told him so.

If you want to continue this conversation I invite you to send me a PM so we can leave these guys out of it and let them discuss the Gun Building Class.

Other than that I am.....

done

Hey Matt, I saw the humor. No different than Chambers' kit building classes. These kind of events are a win-win for all involved. It goes on in a lot of trades and hobies.

Perhaps Forrest would have appreciated your post a little more if you'd of used a :wink: or a :grin: or a :haha: ...and not a :doh:

:hatsoff: Enjoy, J.D.

Gee.. background checks for flintlocks. Never know, those bad guys just might sell their semi's and start buying flintlocks.I think ole Brents thinking is a bit mixed up on the 2nd Amendment. Thanks for posting. Now I know never to attend one of his classes, and I can tell anyone I know that is thinking about a class, not to attend his.

One of the popular arguments the gun contol advocates use is that the framers of the Constitution never even imagined assault weapons when they wrote the Second Ammendment so they shouldn't be protected by it.

I wonder how one makes a case for the control of flintlocks through registration. :hmm:

Enjoy, J.D.

Col. Batguano said:
Sounds like a good opportunity to learn something, which is always a good thing.

Yes it is. I learned to never have anything to do with anything that Gurtek is involved in and to never buy anything else from TOW that I don't absolutely have to.

Decisions have consequences, they decided to publicly involve themselves with someone who is going out of their way to harm our 2nd amendment rights.

Back