• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt 1851 .36 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw one at the gun show yesterday, 7 1/2 inch barrel. guy wanted $600.00 for it. Good price or should I go back and ask him, how about $200.00 for it (all I can afford). It was brand new. Solid steel with no brass. Looked real nice. I'm wanting a .36 cal. percussian.

$600? Unless it is an original or if it is a reproduction and something really special or rare or has had a bunch of aftermarket engraving or SOMETHING, it is just not worth $600. It may, for some reason, be worth $600 to HIM but it wouldn't to ME. He likely hasn't had any takers at that price so offer him the $200 cash and see what he says. Otherwise, take your $200 and go to Cabela's or Bass Pro and see what you can find in your price range. Sometimes they have things on sale at a sweet savings.

I agree, unless it is an original or a Belgium made Colt, pass on it. Be sure you know what you are looking at. Or get someone who does.

CP

It's a reproduction, nothing fancy. I thought I would be able to get back up to the gun show today (about 20 miles away) but it does'nt look like it. :( But I've seen the same guy at other shows around so maybe he'll have it at the next one. Thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

He probably will. Originals go for a lot more than that (sorry folks), but I did buy an unfired 2nd Generation Colt for $500 two years ago at a gun show; I'm sure prices on the 2nd & 3rd Generations have not gone up much.

Good price for a 2nd or 3rd generation Colt. Highway robbery if it's a replica. I just paid (or would have) $300 for a brand new Pietta 1851 London (all steel) model at Cabela's. The new Pietta's are very well made sixguns.

Once in a while I see one of those Gettysburg commemorative 51's for sale at that price range. Saw a R.E.Lee yesterday at the gun show for that price. A feller wanted 2500 for a set of 2 1851's with a shoulder stock, in a case with flask, mold and caps(2nd gen). I recently seen a J.Davis commemorative 1851 with a shoulder stock, glass topped cased with engraving, lots of engraving on the guns and stock with inlaid silver on the stock, and pistol grips, it had a special silver flask, and cap box and brass mold, guy wanted 3200 for it.
So ya you can get awful pricy, depending on whats for sale out there. Originlas can be in the 2k range in our area.

If it was a 2nd generation than the $600 is understandable, but still a tad high. Still, offering $200 would be kind of insulting to the owner. Look for a used Pietta or Uberti, either can be found in your price range.

Yes, I saw that, I hope it stays on sale, cause I won't be able to get it till the first of the month, Forgot I had a bobcat skin to get back from the taxidermist.

Cabela's does a lot of sales on blackpowder pistols. I ordered my 1851 London back on the 3rd while it was on sale, then it immediately went back to regular price, then days later it was on sale again. Just keep an eye on it.

I've got one of them older Piettas that I bought somewhere about twenty years ago. It's over the fireplace now but I shot the living crud out of it for many years. I used to fill the chambers full of Pyrodex and squash the ball down over it. The arbor is loose now so I ain't shooting it anymore but it prooved that it was a good gun and gets to stay warm under the shotgun now!
Pssst, I have 5 other Piettas now. :)

If you want a shooter, get a Uberti, maybe a tad over 200. A 2nd generation Colt will sell for 500. to 600. (if it is unfired)

I had an unfired 2nd Gen Colt, that I gave 550. and couldn't talk myself into firing it, cause I knew it would drop in value drastically. I sold it and and bought a used gun.

IMHO, Colt's are no different from any other gun. They drop in value from using like anything else, there is nothing special about them. No more, no less.

Yeah the 2 nd generation Colt's are going in the $500 to $600 range because I am watching them. These are new and I would prefer a good condition used for the same reason! Arw the Colts really worth $that much more than the better Imports? Geo. T.

I have seen and shot a number of 2nd gen Colts and Ubertis. The Ubertis are very good but the Colts have yet to be equaled. Are the Colts worth $200 more? Maybe. It depends on how high your standards are and how deep your pockets are. You can think of it like cars - a 2013 Corvette sells on average for twice what a 2013 Camaro runs. Is it twice as good? No, but if you really want it and can afford it, that is what it will cost. For collection purposes, go with a NIB 2nd gen. For shooting purposes, a lightly used gun that you will care for but not be overly precious with is a better deal. If you like this advice, please send 2 cents ...........

I have 2 2nd Gen Colts. An 1851 made in 1976 and an 1862 Pocket Navy made in about 1980. I love them both and they are better to me. As a side note the 1851's hand spring broke after a couple cylinders and the "Colt" parts I got from Numerich were Pietta packaged. After fitting it has shot perfectly well since. I have an Uberti Pocket Police but am pining for a 2nd Gen. :)

Back