• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Europe, Scandinavia and Africa?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all. Can anybody speak to the mz regs outside of the US? I know a few people that hunt out of the country, but with cf and bows. I've never spoken to anyone who has wanted to take their mz hunt overseas.

If anyone is interested, I found an article on the Pedersoli web site. It was a scan of a (their?)magazine, which had a country by country listing. It seems like a pretty mixed bag; some countries ban mz's, some accept them with the same caliber/energy restrictions as cf rifles, and still others have no language referring to them at all.
Again, I was curious because I have friends that travel to hunt, but I didn't know anybody who travelled with a muzzleloader.

MattC said:
Hey all. Can anybody speak to the mz regs outside of the US? I know a few people that hunt out of the country, but with cf and bows. I've never spoken to anyone who has wanted to take their mz hunt overseas.

Not permitted here in UK as the game laws expect a combination of velocity and muzzle energy way above that generated by the majority of muzzle loaders. Anyhow, getting to within a hundred yards of your target stag on the Scottish hillside without him actually noticing you is an exercise in futility.

Moreover, since you have to be licensed here to have ANY kind of a live firearm, and give 'good reason' you would have to declare that your 'good reason' was game shooting. TBH I don't know of anybody who has ever tried to obtain a firearm under those conditions. Shotguns, not a problem, but a rifles arm?

Nope.

I can also speak for the Republic of Ireland in that respect.

There, also, it is not only a big no-no, but there are no muzzle-loading BP firearms to shoot with - replica or otherwise - BP is only available to licensed demolition companies, not to individuals per se. There are, however, about a dozen people who have a 'short license' to use BP for demonstration purposes, as in re-enactment, and of course, the couple of mid-day saluting guns in Dublin and Cork.

tac

Here in New Zealand you can hunt with a muzzleloader 24/7 365 days of the year. Members of my club regularly hunt with muzzleloaders. Sounds like the UK has come up with a lame reason to stop people hunting. I lived in the South East where the deer population has exploded. Given the population density I think a well loaded muzzleloader would have a lesser range than high velocity modern rifle. It would be interesting to learn how many animals shot by muzzleloaders have run away wounded.

powderboye said:
It would be interesting to learn how many animals shot by muzzleloaders have run away wounded.

Gut shot is gut shot... A good solid hit should take the animal out quickly enough just as a poor shot with a "magnum" can still result in a lost animal..
I am ALL ABOUT carrying enough gun but percentage wise DAM FEW animals drop where they are hit REGUARDLESS of what they are shot with....
If you want to pick nits it is, in my opinion, its the primitive sights (say VS scopes) that might make the MLers inferior in a hunting situation for precision accuracy for "the average shooter" but the leatality of the ML is unquestionable...
I explain it to people like this: A centerfire is a hyper speed projectile liquifying the internals as it pass through. A .54 roundball is like having someone drive a hoe handle through your chest length-wise with a sledge hammer.

Every person would hopefully know the capability of their rifle. Somewhere I read about someone who dropped an American Bison with a muzzleloader. I think it was a .50 cal Hawkins. Being a protected species I think they have a cull in Dakota every now and then and 2 or 3 hunters names get drawn out of a hat. We have a hunting tv program here called Hunting Aotearoa - usually whatever they shoot staggers around a bit before dropping!

Back