• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dble barrel flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locks are about $300, trigger $60, barrels are probably around $1000 with recessed breeches and soldered.
Rest of the furniture around $80 (buttplate,triggerguard and entry pipe/thimble, escoutcheons and barrel key.
I guess to duplicate an existing stock to the almost final dimensions is about 200 with plain wood. So even the kit, would already run about $1700. Now I guess ,there are about another 50 hours of hand work in there. @$20/hour the normal price should be around $2700-$3000. I reduced the handwork to 50 hours, because a good duplicate stock would reduce a lot of handwork, especially if you can get an almost drop fit.
I have a 12 gauge double barrel flinter, and I guess I have to try to duplicate it sometimes...

Just looked at (and drooled at) that David Price swivel breach kit. Oh, if only I had the $2,500, I'd be dialing his number instead of typing on the computer.

tecum-tha said:
Locks are about $300, trigger $60, barrels are probably around $1000 with recessed breeches and soldered.
Rest of the furniture around $80 (buttplate,triggerguard and entry pipe/thimble, escoutcheons and barrel key.
I guess to duplicate an existing stock to the almost final dimensions is about 200 with plain wood. So even the kit, would already run about $1700. Now I guess ,there are about another 50 hours of hand work in there. @$20/hour the normal price should be around $2700-$3000. I reduced the handwork to 50 hours, because a good duplicate stock would reduce a lot of handwork, especially if you can get an almost drop fit.
I have a 12 gauge double barrel flinter, and I guess I have to try to duplicate it sometimes...

Truck drivers get $20 an hour and only have to buy their own lunch, check the oil (maybe) and kick the tires.

Gunsmith shop time should be $50 and this is the lower end. Brownell's shows 40-80 per man hour, 50-95 for man and machine hour.
Locks would be 300 bucks a pair as they arrive. None in this price range are fit to use as they arrive and at least will require a few hours filing/polishing to clean up the bead blast and casting flaws. Might need some welding and filing too. So for a pair add 200 bucks to what ever they sell for.
Oh yes... Recessed Breeches? Where you getting THESE locks for $300?
This is a recessed breech Manton.

P1010957.jpg

The CASTINGS for the locks cost more than the average "finished lock" and have no screws included and the internal castings may only be good for patterns.
"Good duplicate stock?" Cool. Fantasy but cool. Maybe we can find someone with an original Manton to disassemble, glue blocks to and use in a pantograph but don't hold your breath. Then you need parts that match the originals or its a complete waste of time since no inletting can be done.
I have never seen a 20th c. precarve that was a drop in and I have done more than a few on Sharps rifles and my wife many, many more. It takes a very dedicated machine to cut one to drop in and VERY consistent parts to go IN the wood. If they "drop in" they are invariably too loose someplace.

For a specialty gun like a swivel breech there are no pattern stocks possible since most are one off shop made actions even the store bought versions are likely to have too much variation for a precarve. So even making a pattern stock is a waste (I have made these too BTW).
Swivel breech? Can be two weeks in doing the swivel plates, the tangs, the lock plate, the side plate, the front locks, the TG mods, the trigger, the locking pin(s) and release with its spring(s), the forend cap, the rod pipes, toe plate. Because there is no place to buy them. All from barstock or sheet or modifications of parts like the TG, the "plan" is in the makers head.
Then there is stock layout, cutting, inletting, shaping, carving, patchbox (from sheet) maybe a star in the cheekpiece, fine or coin silver also shop made. Harden the screws and temper and anything else that needs to be hard, lock plate, cock, lock internals, frizzens and anneal as needed (all after engraving). Engrave the PB and anything else that needs it.

Driving in traffic with a 4x4 transmission (thats two separate 4 speed transmissions and two gear shifts that need to both be used for the shift about 1/3 the time) and a 60 to 110K GVW is a piece of cake. Far less stressful. Yeah I have done this too.

Dan

There are a couple types on GB right now. Search "Vintage Swivel Barrel Flintlock Kentucky Rifle" for one, and "Custom SxS Flint rifle. .45 (X6194) 45" for the other. What are your opinions of these guns?

Be Wild Willy said:
There are a couple types on GB right now. Search "Vintage Swivel Barrel Flintlock Kentucky Rifle" for one, and "Custom SxS Flint rifle. .45 (X6194) 45" for the other. What are your opinions of these guns?

Look at the photos in my previous post and this one then look at these.
Its self explanatory. These rifles by myself and Don King from 1959 to 2011.

This rifle, a swivel breech, was built about 1970 everything still fits.
P1000543.jpg

P1000505.jpg

DonKing2.jpg

This is the patchbox on a rifle made in 1959. Note the inletting.
P1000507.jpg

Note the metal to metal and metal to wood fits.

These are rifles over the past 6 years or so. All have seen use.

P1040266_3.jpg

P1040277_3.jpg

P1040278_3.jpg
P1040281_3.jpg

Original Hawken circa 1850.
DSC02996.jpg

note the fit and how here are no blurred edges on the metal from poor polishing practices.

Dan

These guns show the work of a master's hands. Absolutely stunningly beautiful work!

My double flinter has the L&R Manton locks. I don't think very much was altered on this lock at all, beside a little cleanup/polishing which is easy to do with a dremel and the correct polishing powders. My double flinter also has refurbished 30" barrels, one fully choked and the other modified choked. If you build a jig for a certain kind of dimensional barrel and put a bore laser into each, the soldering of the barrels should't take too long. A simple gun also doesn't need any checkering, thumb pieces or other adornments. What a double stock needs is symmetry in the lock mortises. With a gunstock copy router assembly, this seems to be not too complicated.
The percussion doubles from Pedersoli/Navy Arms etc. are manufactued,too. I don't think it would add a lot of cost in manufacturing to produce them in flint. Yes, you wouldn't have a custom piece, but the problem with double flinters is, that you can't get them manufactured, despite some questionable quality indian guns. As with all guns, there is factory, semi-custom and fully-custom. To produce good quality semi-custom production guns, one needs parts with small tolerances. The only problem is the barrels and the lockplate. The lockplate should rather be water or laser cut, then cast. That would almost provide a drop fit of the lock. The rest of the lockparts can come from standard pre-manufactured locks.
A double flintlock should be possible in the $2000 range, if the percussion production versions are about $1000.

Metal to wood/metal to metal fitting BEAUTIFAL!!yu sure it didn't grow together.WHAT CRAFTMANSHIP :bow:

Back