• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size is this powder.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman1776 said:
cynthialee said:
I have been told repetedly that static can not ignite black powder.

I hate to contradict someone who has just complimented me...but...you are right.
Many tests, some in Muzzle Blasts, You Tube and elsewhere show that static sparks are not hot enough to ignite bp.
And, if it's on You Tube it has to be right. Right? :rotf:
Actually, static won't ignite bp despite what they say on TV shows.
It's a sticky on the top of this very section. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/216296/

Last edited by a moderator:
Rifleman1776 said:
cynthialee said:
I have been told repetedly that static can not ignite black powder.

I hate to contradict someone who has just complimented me...but...you are right.
Many tests, some in Muzzle Blasts, You Tube and elsewhere show that static sparks are not hot enough to ignite bp.
And, if it's on You Tube it has to be right. Right? :rotf:
Actually, static won't ignite bp despite what they say on TV shows.

Good news indeed!

It is a relief to know that if I am struck by a bolt of lightning the 30,000 degree Celsius temperature of the lightning will not set off my black powder.

I really don't think your powder going off is gonna be your major problem if you get hit by a 30,000 degree bolt of lightning. :doh: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Here is a picture of the can it is in. I still have about 8 or 10 pounds in it.

I am 99.9% sure it is FF, does that look about right to you?
DSCF0122.jpg

Its not flake powder as it is more ball powder.

DSCF0124.jpg

LOOKS Like FFg to me... Fact of the matter is that if it shoots nice and crisp and you can work up an accurate load its all good!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

More then welcome to tell it here.

I am going to pore a pile out and try to get static electrical ignite it. I will then see if a spark plug can do it.

I laid some powder next to a penny and compared it with yours and it looks to me like you got you some fffg.

The can should have "Black Powder" on the top.

You might want to clean the rust out of your powder. Looks like there's some in it.

The spark in a spark plug is different than static electricity.

It not only has the high voltage needed to jump the gap but it also has the amperage needed to heat anything it passes thru/over.

That's a fact. A spark plug is just a fancy insulated "ignitor" and will have no problem setting off BP. Perhaps some wool socks and a shag carpet??? :haha:

Enjoy, J.D.

Or a couple of rug rats and a wool carpet?

When mine were rug rat size they got no end of enjoyment zapping poor old dad when he wasn't expecting it. :(

On the other hand, maybe that's not a good idea.
I can just imagine the look a dad would get from his wife when he said,

"Come on Billy. Skuff your feet on the carpet and then zap this pile of black powder.
It won't hurt. Honestly!
Just skuff your feet clear across the living room and then point at the powder and touch it!"

BONK!

"Women?.. Why did you bonk my head with that frying pan?" "BOY! That hurts."

I've found that few women have a well defined sense of humor. I had my grandkids behaving well after threatening to glue velcro to their foreheads and stick them to the wall. It worked so I didn't see the problem. My daughter called me horrible. :idunno:

Back