• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kit gun not drilled

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronics

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a CVA kit gun 45 that was never assembled. I just found out that the flash hole to the barrel has not been drilled. Is there a better way than making up a 32" drill fixture to drill it? The nipple drum is drilled but the hole to the barrel isn't.
Any help would be appreciated,
David

there are guys here who have done it so help is on the way... linning it up will be hugely important so that the hammer strikes the cap square... good luck and somtimes a few dollars spent to do it right beats ruining parts says me from experiance. :wink:

stronics
Is it possible to get a few digital photos of exactly what you have and what the problem is?

You will have to have a web photo storage site to store them (Photobucket is free).
More information about posting pictures is in this link.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/255033/

Anyway, the reason some pictures would be nice is CVA has used several different ways of building their guns and it would be nice to see what we are talking about.

Is it possibility that someone has installed a different nipple drum?

Too many unknowns to give a good answer right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember that some of the older CVA guns have a drum that threads into the breechplug
that has a powder chamber.

Duane

You mean there is no hole at "D" in this picture?

CVA1.jpg

I've never seen one come out of the factory like that,,
I'd be willing to bet that the hole is actualy there, but something else got stuffed down the barrel that's acting as a block.
People (or their kids/grandkids!) do all kinds of funny stuff to ml's that they can't figure out how to fix and the gun languishes in a closet and sooner or later is sold,,

Now see where the breech plug (B) ends in the barrel? pretty darn close to the same dimention of the bolster(C), slide the ramrod down the barrel and mark it, then hold it on the outside to the same place and see if it actualy bottoms out. If it's not very nearly the same, there's something stuffed in there.

I have a CVA flintlock kit that seemed to have the same problem that you experince. As it turned out the "communication channel" was rotated 180° to the rear from the bore. It was a matter of correctly lining up the channel to the bore of the barrel.

necchi
D is the exact hole I'm talking about. I tried to unscrew the drum but didn't want to wreck it. My thought is to drill it from the muzzle. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
David

necchi
Yes I have checked for any obstruction. My eyes aren't the greatest anymore but I think I can see the drum by shining a flashlight down the barrel. I've tried all kinds of small cleaning rods to see if it was machine tailings stuck in the hole. I'm going to make up a fixture today and see what I find out.
Thanks,
David

Exhaust all possibilities first because not having that hole is very unlikely. :hmm:

Today I made a fixture to drill out the drum. I took a 36" mild steel rod and drilled and tapped the end for 8x32. I had some drills and counter sinks threaded for that size. I made a copper bushing .445 outside and 3/16" inside that kept the drill centered on the drum. As soon as it dropped through the one side I pulled that one and put on a counter sink and took it through the side towards the muzzle. I had the barrel 1/4 full of oil when I started. As soon as I dropped through the one side of the drum the oil started coming out of the drum. Hole done now. I was not drilled.
The rod was wrapped with tape with a breech bushing and a muzzle bushing.
It worked!!
Thanks for all the help guys, without it, I may not have tried it.
The picture cinched it,
David

Back