• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mistake made with flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a empty the pan, open the frizen, add leather frizen cover to frizen, guy. I do like the idea of plugging the touch hole. What do you all use to plug the hole while going in and out of the woods?

I myself have made one mistake with a firearm. It was a new 9mil Berretta back in 1986. I didnt set the safety before I stuck the gun in my belt in the small of my back. My finger hit the trigger and it went off. I was lucky. The bullet traveled between my cheeks out my pants and into the heal of my boot as i was stepping forward. My buttocks took the muzzle blast. Needless to say I had trouble sitting for a few days. That was me as a young guy being reckless. It was a good lesson, as I am anal about how I handle any firearm now. It was a lesson that I NEVER forget, and I remember everytime I see a fire arm.

To my understanding, some of the old timers used a bird's feather stuck in the vent hole.

gjr902 said:
My buttocks took the muzzle blast. Needless to say I had trouble sitting for a few days. That was me as a young guy being reckless. It was a good lesson, as I am anal about how I handle any firearm now.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

boy i dont care about any regs if i was to transport a gun i make sure it has been discharged first why even take that chance

How about,never give a gun to someone who knows nothing about guns?At least the injured party can claim ignorance(for very little satisfaction there) unfortunately his buddy is probably liable or is it a lesson for him?

After all other safety precautions, I still abide by the "don't point the barrel toward anything you don't want to shoot". This seems to keep me safe.

Jeff

There is no reason in the world to have a flinter out of the woods with a prime in the pan and a hammer at full cock, or any combination of the above. Carelessness will get you killed.

Play by the rules. Simple...and SAFE!!!!

I wonder if the guy figured that even with the gun at full cock, if the trigger was pulled the half cock notch would keep it from firing?

A lot of people think this is true.

The problem arises when a set trigger is in the gun or the lock was designed for use with a set trigger.

These locks are designed to always fire from a full cock position when the hammer/cock is released.

I know you old timers already know this but we have some folks who are new to these things so, let me explain.

Locks designed for use with a set trigger have a small movable part called a fly in them.
This object allows the sear (the thing that holds the hammer's tumbler in position) to enter the half cock notch when the hammer is raised from the fired position.
It's more important job is to keep the sear from entering the half cock notch when the hammer is falling from a full cock position.
This is needed to make the "set triggers" work correctly.

If you have a gun with set triggers, always lower the hammer/cock well below the half cock notch and then pull it back up and listen for the "click" as the sear enters the half cock position.
This is the only safe way to engage "half cock" after the hammer has been fully cocked with these "Set Trigger" guns.

Well glad he's alive. It's a mistake and I'm sure he learned his lesson. This would be something a certain CA senator would love to exploit! "see even flintlocks users need to take a safety test and get a licence to use it"....I can see some CNN/Fox expert reporting it..lol..

Yep I agree if it has powder in it then it's loaded. You only point it at things you want to kill then. Be safe out there folks and lets try to keep all our digits in 2013~

ill toss in.

frizzen open, cock down. the gun is rendered useless.

i transport like this all of the time, especially when hunting multiple places in one day (stalking or small game)

firing off at each spot would not only annoy some land owners, but has me hunting with a pretty dirty gun in rain sometimes. not gonna happen.

thats the "why" the should is up for debate, and depends on how you follow other safety practices.

Matt85 said:
Jack Wilson said:
I hope you're not serious? :shake:

please explain how the gun could go off with no prime, an open frizzen, and the cock in half-cock?
Are some of you actually saying that a loaded flintlock can never be set off by any external source, as long as the hammer is down and the frizzen is open?

I could really care less as to the presence of prime, cap, frizzen stall or anything else! If it is a firearm of any type, I will consider it loaded and will only allow it to be pointed at something I want to put a hole in!!! If you ignore that one simple rule, you are an accident waiting to happen!

Latest posts

Back