• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought another rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just bought a used ( new to me) .50 cal T. C. New Englander rifle. Should be in my hands by this coming Friday. Hurry up UPS.
Figure I will start with .490 RB with 60 gr. of 3F BP to see what grouping I get. Work up from there to get my tightest grouping. Also start with a .018 lubed patching.
Does anyone know if the 12 ga. shotgun barrel will interchange with this stock ?
Looked at a nice .54 cal New Englander, but the stock was cracked by the lock bolt. Figured the .50 cal will be able to take down a deer at 75 yds. if I do my part.
Be waiting responses from other New Englander owners in regards to their loads and how it performs.
Vearl

Good for you :thumbsup:. I can`t help ya with any load info, but congratulations on your new rifle.

I`m kinda looking for a New Englander myself since so many folks give them good reviews. I`ve seen a few in my local shops this fall but like most of the used sidelocks around here the bores are either rustbuckets, they`ve been bubba`d up for scopes, or both :cursing: I did look at a pretty nice one just the other day but the lock was on the wrong (left) side :( I`m not in a hurry though, I`ll find one sometime when I`m not even looking. That`s the way it usually works for me.

Congrats again :hatsoff:

Thompson made a 12 gauge barrel for the New Englander. I just sold one as a matter of fact. You will probably get a case of sticker shock when you see what they go for. I also have a brand new in the box New Englander with a .50 cal barrel I would be willing to part with. I am not a dealer but switched to flintlocks and have retired and need to thin the collection.

Dave

I have a .50 New Englander. I want the 12G barrel for it but...like was already stated sticker shock.

It works rather well but I am more fond of my T/C Hawken. So it doesn't get much range time. I am keeping my eye out for a smooth bore for it. But I ain't spending as much on a barrel as I would for a complete rifle!

I load it with a .490 round ball, .015 pre lubed patch, over powder fiber wad, and 70 grains of 3F black powder. CCI magnum #11's.
It shoots good and shoots beter than I can.

Just curious! Have you compaired how it shoots with FF as well as FFF? My 50 GPR just doesn't like 3 F. I wish I could just buy one type! Geo. T.

Yep. The 12 ga and .50 or .54 barrels are interchangeable.

I shoot 85 gr FFg in my .50 NE with a 0.490" ball and 0.017" patching. For about 15 years this was the rifle I used during regular gun season hereabouts (otherwise it's a slug shotgun area).

no I haven't
I probably should. I only spent enough time with it to find a good load that will put a bullet in the kill zone at 50 yards for bambi consistantly. Once I was confidant I had a deer slayer load out, I put it away and haven't shot it since. Chances are there is an even better load out for it. But I am too focused into other guns right now to give it the time it deserves. I am only keeping it at this time in hopes of getting the 12G barrel for it. (that and I can't stand to part with a gun unless it goes to the right person)

Vearl said:
Just bought a used ( new to me) .50 cal T. C. New Englander rifle. Should be in my hands by this coming Friday. Hurry up UPS.
Figure I will start with .490 RB with 60 gr. of 3F BP to see what grouping I get. Work up from there to get my tightest grouping. Also start with a .018 lubed patching.
Does anyone know if the 12 ga. shotgun barrel will interchange with this stock ?
Looked at a nice .54 cal New Englander, but the stock was cracked by the lock bolt. Figured the .50 cal will be able to take down a deer at 75 yds. if I do my part.
Be waiting responses from other New Englander owners in regards to their loads and how it performs.
Vearl

Your new (used) .50 caliber rifle will "do" a deer really well at 75 yards. I use 70 grains of Swiss FFFg behind a round, patched rifle ball in my older, .50 caliber cap-lock CVA Carbine with a 24-inch barrel which is a VERY accurate load. However, the 65 grain load is just as accurate, but has a slightly lower muzzle velocity.

Goex FFFg seems to work as well and as accurately as the Swiss FFFg with only a slight velocity loss... and the deer don't seem to be able to tell the "difference"!

My "accuracy load" for both my "hunting rifle" (an older cap-lock .50 caliber CVA Carbine with a 24-inch barrel) and my older, .50 caliber CVA cap-lock with the 28-inch barrel (my "target rifle") is 47 grains of either Swiss or Goex under a round, patched .490 Hornady swaged lead ball with a .016ths cotton denim cut patch lubed with a mixture of bee's wax and Crisco Oil.

I use a fairly thin .516" diameter vegetable fiber wad (bio-degradable) between the powder and the patched ball which I buy from John Walters of Moore, Oklahoma (ph: (405) 799-0376) to keep any patch-lube contamination from getting to the powder when leaving the Carbine loaded for several days at a time.

If you order from John, he'll send you the wads with an invoice asking you to send your payment... he's a very trusting soul, but sez that most muzzle-loader shooters are "good guys"... and he's right about that, in my humble opinion. :wink:

I also believe the veggie fiber wad seems to help give more consistency (and thus, greater accuracy) to my "target" rifle's muzzle velocity when target shooting... (of course, I could be wrong)... therefore, I use the veggie fiber wad in all my loads.

I found that both a 65 grain powder load as well as a 70 grain load yielded excellent accuracy in my 2 older CVA cap-locks, but for "paper-punching", the 47 grain load was more accurate as well as using up to 33% less powder (70-47=23÷70=32.85 or 33%) more economical.

Good luck in your endeavors... make GOOD smoke...! :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

IMHO and because I owen one you have purchased the finest rifle that T/C has or will ever make. And the first rifle I owened was the wonderful Hawken. But I still thank the New England is better.

I shoot prb 70 grains Pyrodex and a cotton patch not sure of the thickness. Have shot bufflo bullets ( NOT THE MOST ACCURENT ),have shot .44cal sabots xtp bullets .240 grain and powder belts .270 grain platumns they all shot good but the best is the prb. Also I do shoot bp when they allow it into my neck of thewoods.

HAVE owened this one since 1992 it has a home as long as I do. Since you are new to this gun,the secert to this gun is >>>>>> shoot the stuffins out of it, the more you shoot the better it gets.

Well, my T.C. New Englader 50 cal.arrived this afternoon.
Checked to be sure it was not loaded. Then off to the garage to clean the barrel. Wasn't in bad shape. Bore seems to be real smooth with no pitting. Patches came out clean. Removed lock, trigger,and barrel.Oiled them all down.
The stock is a dark Walnut. Never saw that on a factory T.C. Has nice grain to it also.
If the weather is decent this weekend, I will try to get out and shoot it a little. Will let you know how it does.
So far, I am pleased with what I see so far.

Was delayed in getting to the range. Had to settle for an indoor range with a max distance of 25 yds.
Loaded with 80 gr. of 3F BP. An overpowder wad. A .490 RB wrapped in a .015 lubed patch. CCI #11 caps. The load seemed to slide down the bore. Nice!! Fired 5 shots. All fired off hand standing. All 5 shots hit approx: 3 1/2 inches high of POA. Windage was ok.
The rifle was nice to shoot. Not heavy as my Renegade and Big Bore rifles. Sight radius was nice. Single trigger pull is better than the single trigger on my Big Bore rifle.
Think that I am going to like carrying and shooting this rifle.
Weather permitting, I will get out to the outdoor range for more shooting at 590 and 75 yds.
Will let you know how it does.

Vearl said:
Was delayed in getting to the range. Had to settle for an indoor range with a max distance of 25 yds.

You have an indoor range that allows black powder?? They must have some good air handling equipment! :haha:

glad you like the new rifle.we need to get to gether this spring an burn sum powder.

I was lucky to get my hands on a NIB TC New Englander in 12 ga.

TCNewEnglander12Ga-4u.jpg

I will be working up some turkey loads for this year. If you think shooting a side lock is fun, you should try working with a shotgun side lock!!!!!

Back