• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 CVA Hawken Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this pistol last week and cleaned it up and refinished it.
Here is the before and after:

Before
CVAhawkinbefore.jpg

After
CVAhawkinafter.jpg

I am rather pleased with how it turned out.
:grin:

that one is what started it all for me, built that from kit form.
I still have it and plan to until I'm about to kick off then may have it roasted down w/me.
I've since bored it out to .62 smoothy so's it will shoot shot - and prb - better for woods bumming/trekking. takeing small game and birds.
you did a good job on that one CL

Nice...very nice
You did an outstanding job on refinishing that pistol.
It would make a nice Christmas present for me. :hatsoff:

I always liked the lines of that pistol, better than the CVA Mountain pistol or traditions trapper. I'd think the brass nose piece adds more weight than needed though.

Nice job. I have a few that could use some spiffin up like that.

Sorta like a poor girls plains pistol.
When I got to check out Matt85's .50 cal plains pistol I was rather surprised at how comfortable this style of stock fits in the hand. Before haveing the chance to hold a similar gun I had imagined the design to be uncomfortable. Turns out that I was wrong.
So when I spoted this CVA in the case at the pawn shop all neglected and ignored I had to have it.

I don't get to shoot it until after Christmas. Grandma supossedly bought it for me and it goes under the tree. (grandma gives out cash and we are supposed to get ourself something and pretend like she got it come unwraping day. yes grandma has taken to phoneing in christmas so to speak) Grandma has "bought me" a number of guns over the years in this fashion. She always frowns when she sees me unwraping a gun, but if she wants to do it this way, I am so getting a gun, because I can't get them normaly unless I barter for them. (spouses rules)

I have to start with 45 grains of powder as that is the minimum amount of powder for a hunting pistol in these parts. Which I think is rather absurd as there is no stated powder minimum for a rifle. (but then I am thinking...when is the last time I ever heard of a game warden pulling a load on a person to verify thier powder measure?) I think I should go get some 2F Goex. 45 grains of 3F is going to be more power than needed.

If you check the angle of the grip in relation to the barrel, it isn't much different than many modern semi auto target guns. More ergonomic than the old kentucky pistol grip. And not as heavy and clunky as the trapper pistol.

just my opine you should reduce the load of 3f rather than swap to 2f - for more reliable ignition and cleaner burning 2f will leave more fouling.
I remember mine grouped tighter with around 30gr 3f rather than the heavier charges.
but at any rate work up the load - start low first the recoil of 45gr 3f is substantial

I'm not so sure a game warden is going to have you pull a load and then measure the powder in your charge. If asked,just state your load is/was 45 grains. I assume this would be used for a back-up shot and not a take down shot. I do know that 40 grains in my .50 Kentucky pistol is one stout load and that is a 10" barrel. 45 grains in that Hawken pistol is really gonna bark. I shoot 25 grains in my pistol and I am quite certain it would put an animal down at close range.

yes the idea is a back up pistol for coup de grace if needed

I agree that the idea of a 45 grain powder load is rediculous in this pistol. I was just thinking about the rules of the hunt as set by the state. I have tried my best to comply to all the hunting regulations to the best of my knowledge, but I am not sure that following the letter of the law on this one is a good idea.
Grouping and recoil are not even my main worries, although they do hold some consideration, my big concern about runing that much powder is breaking my stock. I'd rather keep it in serviceable condition.

45 grains is stout, but not a stock killer. What kills pistol stocks is pounding in a tight patch ball combo. Some guys think their combo is too loose if it doesn't require a 5 pound sledge to start the ball.

I have two more modern style pistols and the manufacturer instruction list charges up to 80 grains. 30 grains in a 50 cal is really very mild. 45 isn't outrageous. Try working up to 45 see where it seems like too much.

I have no CVA recommended charge info for that pistol. When I first got my CVA flinter kentucky pistol, 45 cal, I frequently fired 40 grains just because I didn't know any different and followed the advice of an old timer.

for pistols I have always gone with a 1/2 -/+5 as my formula
which is to say half of the guns caliber in grains of powder with a 5 grain variable
so with a .50 cal it would give a range of 20-30 grains of powder for a good shot

but I have never had such a long barrel pistol, so adding some more powder is probably not a bad idea as there is enough room to burn a bit more

nice refinish job - i like it!

p.s. --- that load does sound a bit stiff for a pistol - yet another example of politicians making laws without any subject matter knowledge ... remember the "assault Weapons Ban?" if your box fed semi auto had a pistol grip, a detachable box magazine, and a flash supressor or bayonet lug, it was an 'assault rifle,' so we took away all the bayonet lugs ...

yea, that'll stop the gangbangers in their tracks...

OK- sorry to hijack your thread with a political tirade - i'll climb off my soapbox before i fall and get hurt...

anyway- i really do like the new pistol.

make good smoke!

Great job on the finish. I would suggest before you shoot it to get a flash guard. Just a round piece of brass that surrounnipple but it keeps the fire from the cap from burning the barrel finish and stock wood in that area. Caplocks with a snail don't need this but a drum and nipple do...............watch yer top knot............

I hear you on bartering for your guns.
My wife thinks that I have to many T.C. rifles around here. She wants my credit card. LOL.
A gal has got to do what a gal has to do. :hatsoff:

Back