• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Drinking Flask ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi...

I am trting to figure out how to make a leather drinking flask for a friend... I have mada a leather ball bag before by dipping it in melted wax with sand inside... Im guessing ill do the same for this. But how would I seal the inside??
and what would I sealit with??

Make the flask, wet it and fill it with rice/corn meal/sand to shape it. When dry empty and clean well (pebbles or gravel will help dislodge adherent material). Pour melted beeswax into the flask (warmed in a 180-190F oven), swirl to coat and empty. Place in oven so the wax can infiltrate the leather. Repeat as many times as it takes for the wax to fully penetrate the leather (you'll see the color change) and give it a couple of coatings of wax on the exterior. Leak test it.

Black Hand is correct about the shaping, but don't use beeswax. Use brewer's pitch (sometimes called refined pitch), you get better results in terms of the strength of the vessel and the durability of the waterproof lining. Beeswax was never traditionally popular as a waterprrof liner. Pitch is tougher and better, and much cheaper.

Also do not 'pour some in a swill it around' - melt enough to fill the vessel. This will ensure total internal coverage. Then you only do the job once.

Don't beleive anyone who says that pitch stinks and will taint the contents; this is absolute nonsense. There will be a smell for a couple of days, but this dissappears.

You must not use unrefined/roofer's pitch though - this will taint the contents.

Thanks guys but how will I get brewers pitch??
And what is it? will it melt like wax?

IF you could/do get a copy of "Make it with Leather" June/July 1976 there is a artical on pg 30 for a Blackjack Mug.Would be great for around the fire,they used Brewer's pitch for the inside.
Try: Make it with Leather
PO box 1386
Fort Worth,Texas 76101

Sounds like a book i should get...
I have some pine pitch with charcoal in it, Would that do the job?... Also will alcohol dissolve beesewax overtime?

Rosko Fischer said:
I have some pine pitch with charcoal in it, Would that do the job?... Also will alcohol dissolve beesewax overtime?
No and No.

As to beeswax, I can tell you from personal experience that a waxed leather vessel is very strong (I've dropped mine from the truck onto blacktop and I've frozen it in the winter with no ill effects). Though I've never used brewers pitch, it appears that it would be brittle and could slough off the interior of the vessel if the leather flexes.

On the other hand, alcohol will dissolve pitch, though I'm not sure what the minimum alcohol concentration must be to do so. I've dissolve pine/fir pitch in 90% Rubbing alcohol.

Townsend & Son used to offer it. I lined a leather canteen with theirs. Worked fine. Depending on time frame, a wood staved mug might be more correct. The jacked leather vessels went out of style in the early 1700's.

I would suggest something other than cornmeal, sand, rice or anything else that may stick to the inside. Go to your local sporting goods/toy store and get a bottle of airsoft pellets. They work just fine for shaping a ball bag or flask but are easy to remove when it's dry.

You can still get brewer's pitch from Jas Townsend & Son. I got some about two months ago but haven't had a chance to use it. Alcohol is not a problem. It is, after all, "brewer's" pitch. :wink:

CraigC said:
I would suggest something other than cornmeal, sand, rice or anything else that may stick to the inside. Go to your local sporting goods/toy store and get a bottle of airsoft pellets. They work just fine for shaping a ball bag or flask but are easy to remove when it's dry.

You can still get brewer's pitch from Jas Townsend & Son. I got some about two months ago but haven't had a chance to use it. Alcohol is not a problem. It is, after all, "brewer's" pitch. :wink:

1) I use steel shot - works great
2) re: brewer's pitch - Black Hand is right re: high alcohol content - it will dissolve the pitch. Brewer's made beer which has a minimal alcohol content
3) All pitch be it brewer's pine, etc. can run the gamut of soft to hard - if you use the softer to middle levels there is no more brittleness than bees wax. for instance cutler's resin - generally a mix of pitch, bees wax, and a filler (brick dust was commonly used by the Brits) stays fairly flexible in even hard usage. The Townsend brewer's pitch works well without a lot of brittleness.
4) as for a leather covered glass bottle - it all depends on the heavyness of the glass - a thin glass bottle can and will break quite easily even when covered with leather of rawhide. Heavier booze bottles on the other hand are quite good but they are still glass....

Ok so I will use wax because alcohol will disolve brewers pitch... When water proof it with wax should I waterproof the outside and inside or only the inside? and should I warm the leather before it is dipped in the wax??

Ok so I will use wax because alcohol will disolve brewers pitch... When water proof it with wax should I waterproof the outside and inside or only the inside? and should I warm the leather before it is dipped in the wax??

Rosko Fischer said:
Thanks guys but how will I get brewers pitch??
And what is it? will it melt like wax?

Beer and wine doesn't dissolve it. Check the name. Spirits might; I shall do a test and let you know.

Jas Townsend sells it. A kilo of pitch will fill a 2 1/2 pint vessel.

Use old metal utensils for the heating and pouring. Wear welders gloves or similar. Stir while heating.

If anyone fancies making a leather covered glass bottlt thisisn't a bad bittle to use:
http://www.sovietstores.com/soviet-equipment/canteen-m-1941ww2-glass-type-water-bottle

They are made from heavy duty tempered glass and I have fallen on mine and it survived.

I am sure you can source them cheaper state-side.

They come in a variety of colours too and have a real 'old' look to them. I only paid the equivalent $20 for mine (delivered).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back