• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dble barrel flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobowonkanobe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
does anyone make either a side by side or "turner" style dble barrel flinter? I have found rare historical ref.s but nothing "available".`

There was a trader at the Connor Praeirie Arms show last year who had a 20 gauge double flinter.
He said a guy from TN made it (recycled,rebreached barrels). It looked real nice and he wanted $2100 for it.
I bought me one here on the forum, so I am currently not looking.

For an American-made double barrel flint, expect at least $2K, unless you get lucky at an estate sale.

I traded an original Harpers Ferry Model 1855 Rifle in NRA very good condition for my 12 gauge flint double, so I have about $2-1/2K in the double, maker unknown. The previous owner of the double bought it at an estate sale.

It is fitted with Ed Rayl barrels, and L&R Locks, English walnut stock and steel furniture. Will have to take it to CLA show to get it "I.D.ed". It has been appraised for $3,500, which is the price the PO wanted for it at the 2011 NMLRA SE Rendezvous.

I would guess that there's maybe less than a few hundred hand-made flint doubles out there, custom-made. Over the decades, the parts to build & finding an experienced gunsmith to build it, have always been out of reach for most of us.

Well now you will not believes this,,there is an Over and Under Flinter at the Old Town Trading Post in Old Town Maine,,you read it correct,O/U Flinter.Only one I have even seen,,, but then to I'am pretty young and quit hanson.

this is the youtube vid that a friend sent me that let me know bout them having existed, at some time at least. Got me all a flutter.

http://youtu.be/kZVux0mXUWo

currently one is for sale on gun broker
if this info is allowed

There is no O/U flinter at oldtown trading. Just got off the phone with Dave the owner. Only o/u in the past year was a pecussion beretta. Which I handled and almost bought. Percussion is those new fangled cap thingys. The other is a sharp rock. :grin:

hobowonkanobe said:
does anyone make either a side by side or "turner" style dble barrel flinter? I have found rare historical ref.s but nothing "available".`

All Swivel Breeches are custom stocked from blanks.
The good ones are all shop made with the exception of a few castings frizzens, pans, cock and perhaps lock internals.
http://www.swivelbreech.com/index_files/page0001.html

He used to sell actions too but don't know if he still does.

A good swivel breech is worth about 10K in todays dollars.

P1010028.jpg

P1010898_2.jpg

These are by my friend and mentor Don King. I think this is the last Swivel he made.

129281797778536137.jpg

This is a copy of an original rifle he made about 40 years ago
P1000555.jpg

He made a number of them over the years these are the only two I have photos of. Some were earlier and somewhat plainer rifles. But I have never seen a "plain" Swivel breech. They cost a lot back in the day perhaps 3-5 times what a good Kentucky did so a dollar or two for some carving etc was not much of an increase in price.

Don made a couple of Bedford School sxs rifles as well.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
and that is the news I both expected and was cringing in anticipation of. That 10k tag is the killer. I paid 1k for mine and thought I might have been excessive in doing so... guess there is way more "excessive" than that.
Still, a neat topic to look into all the same. Kinda like Ferrari's and super models, love to look at em, don' wanna even test drive one tho.

I remember seeing Don King's swivel-breeches in John Baird's rag, "The Buckskin Report" back in the '70's.

Leonard Day of MA makes swivel-breech rifles and rifle/shotguns. I met his son at the NMLRA SE Rendezvous in 2011 at Yadkinville, NC.

I'll try to post some photos of a local maker of over & under Flint shotguns. Michael Ehinger of Stedman, NC made a few O/U flinters starting about $25,000, cased, twenty years ago.

An example of his work sold at one of the Arms Auction Houses (James Julia?) last year for $60,000.

It was a two-barrel double flint set, cased, one pair of barrels 12 gauge, & the other pair, I believe were rifled.

He makes everything on the guns from scratch. There are no castings, even the locks are scratch-built. The rifle barrels are rifled by Mike, using his rifling machine, he made from scratch.

I have a Leonard Day swivel-breech rifle/shotgun (.54 cal/16 gauge). As soon as I get the gun photographed, I'll post it here It has a beautiful curly maple stock in the flint Hawken style with iron oval matchbox.

hobowonkanobe said:
and that is the news I both expected and was cringing in anticipation of. That 10k tag is the killer. I paid 1k for mine and thought I might have been excessive in doing so... guess there is way more "excessive" than that.
Still, a neat topic to look into all the same. Kinda like Ferrari's and super models, love to look at em, don' wanna even test drive one tho.

Other than the cheap Numrich Swivel that was on the market back in the 60s-70s I can't see how anyone could make one and sell it for 1000 bucks.
It never ceases to amaze me how people want neat 18th-19th c. guns but want to buy them at far less than the cost of production.
A friend of mine was showing a guy a rifle he built, as is not unusual the guy looked at the rifle and walked away (they often get a "test pattern" look on their faces) and my friend was like "What??". His wife then said "He had no idea what he was looking at" and this is true.
Since it was not a Model 700 Rem he, in all probability, could not comprehend it. Possibly he (and many others) went into a form of sensory overload. Since it is not a cookie cutter gun cranked out in its thousands but rather a finely shaped, carved and engraved rifle perhaps made in a 10x10 converted beadroom (Don King made rifles for a time in a closet meant to contain a roll away bed) it is oddity that is beyond comprehension.
Lack of comprehension and especially appreciation is very common in people whose idea of a ML is a TC or a Lyman. These things are what that are yet people think if they go off most of the time they are wonderful. They are not. They are MLs made so people can buy a cheap ML to hunt in their special ML season in what ever state they happen to live in.
Model 70s, TCs etc are not art forms. They are tools. Like a hammer or a pry bar.
A GOOD Kentucky is a functional art form. It will work better than the factory made ML and it is aesthetically pleasing. It is at home in at art museum as it is in the field shooting deer.
But a great many American shooters have the idea that pretty guns don't shoot. As a result it is not unusual to see target rifles that show far more wear and tear than they should. The owner WANTED them to look beat up. The owner would rather lay the rifle on a concrete floor of an indoor range and move it with his foot than put it in a rack. YES THIS IS TRUE. I guy I knew would do this with the comment "pretty guns don't shoot". He is not alone.

So people will pay 2500 for a souped up 1911 or 900 for a stock S&W revolver but pale at the 1200 or 2500 $ price of a Kentucky with 10-20 times the hand work and shop time built by someone with a skill set far beyond that of the typical worker at S&W or Ruger.

Dan

Latest posts

Back