• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I went shoppin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul LaFranco

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im in the process of building a .54cal Lyman GPR, and it's coming along very nicely, I also own a T/C .50 cal Hawken. I hav'nt shot any BP in over 25 yrs, I've been too busy with the modern stuff, but now that Im retired, Im going to take an extra day at the range for BP shootin. I went to the gun shop last Tuesday and bought everything I think Im gonna need to shoot my two BP rifles. The items I bought inclued a short starter, jags brushes, powder measure, powder horn, BP solvent, No 11 caps (Hy score, and Remington). The round balls, and patches I bought for the .50 are Hornaday .495 round balls, and T/C .018 pillow ticking patches(pre lubed). For the .54 I bought Hornaday
.535 round balls, and T/C special pre-cut patches # 7034. I don't think these patches are pre-lubed, but the guy at the gun shop sold me some Hoppes#9 special BP solvent, and patch lube, he said it will work just fine. I also bout a pair of bullet screws for the .50, and .54. So how did I do? What did I forget?
I know there must be some things I forgot! I also orderd 4 lbs of 2F BP from Graf & Sons. Also it seems that most guys on this sight use round balls instead of Maxi-balls or conical bullets, why?
Paul :grin:

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Remember the oil after it's been cleaned.

Also it seems that most guys on this sight use round balls instead of Maxi-balls or conical bullets, why?
Because they do their job, as long as I do mine :wink:

Cause I just love the way they shoot and there aint nothin in these here US states that they cant kill :thumbsup:

You will be shooting a tight combination with those. I would get some .490's and .530's or some .015 patches. You may find that they shoot fine without working you to death! Of course the trick is to get to the loading table with everything! :cursing: or you'll be like me!

Good Shooting! Geo. T.

I agree with Geo. I have a .54 GPR and .530 rb's with a pillow ticking patch are tight enough to require a pretty good whack on the short starter.

Get some .530 rb's and try both sizes to see which one you and the rifle prefer.

My .50 GPR likes .490 balls and .015 patches. Good luck with your rifles! :thumbsup:

rightwinger said:
Also it seems that most guys on this sight use round balls instead of Maxi-balls or conical bullets, why?

the round ball is plenty effective enough to kill any thing. if you check out the hunting section of this forum you will find critters of all shapes and sizes have met their end via a round ball.

my first hunt was with a caplock longrifle loaded with a .490 patched round ball. a 4 point (8 point if you count both sides) white tail found its way into my freezer via that .490 ball at 65 yards.

-matt

After you have shot up some of that FFg powder you may want to try some FFFg powder. Some rifles shoot it etter than FFg. Also you said you bought some brushes, If you try to use brushes to clean a muzzleloader you run a great risk of getting one stuck in your barrel. Brushes are for cleaning a barrel that you can push the brush completely through before pulling back. With a muzzleloader the bristles are under a strain when you pull them back it increases the strain so much they get stuck, or pull apart where screwed into your ramrod, or sometimes pull the tip off of your ramrod. None of these are what you want to happen. Clean with patches on a cleaning jag using soap and water. You can use your blackpowder solvent if you want to but for the amount of cleaner you need to use it could get costly.................watch yer top knot.............

Paul :grin: [/quote]

The patched round ball is cheaper to shoot, and has less recoil. With in normal hunting distances found in the woods, the patched round ball works very well. However do not let the key board shooters here convince you that conicals are no good. It depends on the gun and what it prefers. Some guns like conicals and others will only shoot PRB well. Both will take deer, use what your rifle likes best.

If your rifles have a hooked breech, I think you will find soap and water in a small bucket works very well for cleaning. Water doesn't need to be real hot either. I use water straight from the tap.

Have fun and welcome to this forum.

Latest posts

Back