• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Bought First Flintlock!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pletch is the expert when it comes to figuring out how fast a flintlock fires.

As my memory serves me, from the time the sear is released (dropping the cock and flint) most flintlocks will fire in about 0.04 seconds.
That's four one hundredths of a second.

A good caplock can fire in about 0.02 seconds from the time the sear is released.

That sounds a lot faster but with our dull senses it is just about impossible for our minds to notice this difference.

As a point of reference, I've read a modern cartridge target rifle is close to 0.005 seconds.

Getting back to the flintlock, although the flash in the pan takes a little while to burn itself out (if you call POOF! a little while), the gun will have fired while its starting its POOF and the ball will be well on its way. :)

I tell my in-line buddies....that i have the advantage with my flinter. ..... " I get to aim twice ".. But a fine tuned rock lock is just as fast as a cap.. And don't be afraid to use some 3fff in the pan when hunting. They say it doesn't absorb as much moisture. I havent shot my cap locks in years... They are boring !!,

I think you'll be surprised at how fast flinters can be. When I got my first one, I thought that they were pretty, and historicaly interesting. I also thought that it might be fun to target shoot with every once in a while....MAN, was I ever surprised! When I shot it a few times(Kind of like Lays potato chips, can't stop at one shot.)I said I've got to hunt with this thing! When everything is right, It seems just as fast, as any percussion that I've ever fired. Trust me Rougedog, you're gonna love this!

it's been some years since i shot a caplock rifle, but i remember the experience pretty much bearing out what Zonie said- there should not be too much percieved difference between cap and flint, although flint is slower "on the clock." what will make or break the shot when you use a muzzleloader - cap or flint - is the follow through (IMO- but then again, i'm not that good a shot).

did i tell you to get Dutch Schoultz' paper? if i didn't, please forgive the oversight- his website is
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

and his method works - guaranteed!

good luck with the new addiction, and make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be surprised if you absolutely love it. If you have any problems, they will be resolved and your gun will become more accurate and reliable as you get used to shooting it. An early problem I had was not checking to see that the flint was tight anytime I didnt get a good spark. Nice edge but lose in the cock. You will figure it all out and become a better shot. I know you will have more fun. Give it an honest chance and you might be another hopeless flintlock addict.

I'd like to think I would still shoot the caplocks some but we shall see. Looks like I have to wait for the rifle one more day. I missed the Fed-Ex truck this morning. What a bummer!

Dad gummit!! I just got my new gun in hand and somehow, there's a huge chip of wood tore out of the stock on the right side next to the end plate! In good faith, this chip was NOT there on the photos that the seller provided me. However, the stock was completely enclosed in bubble wrap. Had this accident happened during shipping wouldn't the wood fragments still be contained in the bubble wrap? Now all of my uber excitement has been tinged with dissappointment. I will post pictures of the area in question. I suppose it can be fixed. Yet, this is not how I wanted to start my relationship with a new gun. I also don't want to be misled during a purchase. Mind you, I'm not saying this is what occured. It's just that I can find any of the wood fragments in the box. I am kind of confused right now so any stabilizing comments of reason are welcomed.

Jeff

Should I email the seller and tell him what I have found? I would hate to believe that someone would sell something to someone that was damaged, without making that known and adjusting the purchase price to reflect. Also, in using Paypal and AmerXpress, can I send the rifle back for a refund? I should have requested an inspection period but did not. I also may be jumping to conclusions. I guess I'm just dissappointed!

Jeff

I would definitely have Fedex and the seller on the phone right away. Longer you wait less chance you have of getting someone to make it right.

Attached are a few photos illustrating my problem.

Flintlock054.jpg
[/img]
Flintlock043.jpg
[/img]
Flintlock052.jpg
[/img]

Oh man that really blows! Was the gun completely wrapped and the box intact? Have you contacted the seller yet?

In speaking with Fed-Ex, at my request, they will file a damage claim and return the item to the seller. In the meantime, before I initiate this step, I have to decide if I want to keep the gun and determine if the damaged product is still worth what I paid for it. I was told that the gun was in excellent condition in every way. So, somewhere between me buying the gun and the gun being shipped to me, something went awry. Based on the nature of the gouge, could this possibly lead to a crack or other structural issues in the future? At the very least, I don't believe a damaged gun is worth the full purchase price for a gun listed as being in excellent condition. I would love to get some comments from you guys because at this moment, my emotions are fresh and I don't want to do anything rash. Let cooler heads prevail as they say.

Jeff

Gun was wrapped up tight in bubble wrap, enclosed in multiple layers of cardboard inside a duct taped box. It looked like package was darn near bullet proof. That is what makes me a little bit suspicious but I hate to jump to conclusions. I have been wrong before. Hasty judgements are not wise.

Jeff

I am also wondering how I should approach the seller with this without sounding accusatory. Simply let him know what happened, the condition received, and ask for a price reduction or refund?

Jeff

Getting a hold of the seller is #1 priority at this point. They may have had someone else package and ship the gun out, so damage may be unknown to them. I'm not an expert but I don't believe that the damage is structural, mainly cosmetic. But definitely ugly and a damn shame.

It is the one and the same gun. The wood is very nice. It's just got a big gouge missing out of the end.

Jeff

Back