• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting load for deer(powder charge 777)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_point

50 cal
Reaction score
what would a good powder charge be for a 50 cal tc hawkens, I want to use patched round ball.

I shot the rifle with 50 grains 777 and it shot real nice, i used windshield washer fluid on the patch, i would like to know if this would be a good load for hunting, or try to bump it up for more knock down energy.

First of all you need to forget about "knock-down" power and energy numbers when it comes to shooting a PRB and muzzle loaders in general, then focus on accuracy first. Learn how to work up an accurate load with your rifle then practice with the same load you'll be using for hunting. A good rule of thumb is to take one shot using your hunting load for every yard that is inside your self imposed limit. For example, using fixed, open sights any target farther than 100 yards for me is too fuzzy for a safe, much less humane shot so that is my self imposed limit. However, in the field that limit is going to shrink depending on conditions as well as other factors beyond my control, so the pratical limit for me is going to fall somewhere in between 60 & 80 yards. I'm still going to want to take at least 100 practice shots using the same load combination that I will be using while I'm hunting. The key is knowing where the RB is going to hit no matter how far away your deer is if inside your limit as well as having enough patience and discipline to pass up questionable shots. A 50 grain charge of Triple 7 is going to be roughly the same as 60 grains of Goex in the same granulation. Personally I would want to push the ball a little faster so there wouldn't be so much difference between the point of aim and the point of impact; ie- a flatter trajectory. However, inside of 75 yards or so a RB pushed by a 50 grain charge of T-7 will probably pass through an average whitetail deer hit broadside. Your job is to know that the RB that you launched is going to go through the vitals of that deer and kill it quickly rather than somewhere that is going to result in a slow, painful death.

I would start with 50 grains of Triple 7 and shoot three times at the same spot on the target keeping notes on your group size. I would also swab the bore in between each shot with a cleaning patch dampened with your favorite solution. I like 91% rubbing alcohol but only dampen the patch so you won't affect the next powder charge. Increase your powder by 5 grains and repeat until your groups get nice and tight. It is only now that you adjust or file your sights to move your point of aim to match point of impact. If you start adjusting the sights after every shot you'll only end up frustrated and all over the target. Then practice so you will be prepared and confident when that perfect deer standing at the perfect angle is in your sights. :thumbsup:

Buddy of mine shoots 777 in his 50 cal TC Hawken with great results using round balls, both on paper and on deer. I don't recall him ever recovering a ball- complete pass-throughs and the deer didn't move 30 yards after the hit. His charge is 80 grains, and he sights in dead-on at 75 yards for "point blank" aiming all the way out to 100 yards. Pretty fine setup.

If your rifle shoots 80 grains well, I have no qualms that it will be a great deer load.

10_point said:
what would a good powder charge be for a 50 cal tc hawkens, I want to use patched round ball.

I shot the rifle with 50 grains 777 and it shot real nice, i used windshield washer fluid on the patch, i would like to know if this would be a good load for hunting, or try to bump it up for more knock down energy.
No idea how to correlate real blackpowder to the modern BP sub 777, but for what its worth, I used 90-100grns Goex 3F in my T/C Hawkens, and continued with that same load in a longer barreled full stock .50cal.

My TC 50 cal Hawken like 90 grains of 2F triple seven with a felt wad over powder and a 385 grain Hornady great plains bullet. I also use CCI #11 mag caps. This gun is a tack driver with this load and is only used for hunting.

thanks to all. i will try to work a load of 80 grains 777 and see how it works.

long as it does the job,,,,my brother has a 50 cal cva frontier and shoots 110 grains 777 with a powerbelt bullet, this is a light gun and he says it beats him up , but it does the job.

it is the only load that he found shoots the best in it. The old saying,, if it works use it.

Don't use a wet lube like windshield washer fluid for your hunting load. It will seep in to your powder charge.

what ever load shoots the most accurate for you rifle. learn to trust the ball, if you can get it where it needs to be the critter will fall.

-matt

I was thinking of this also, i shot with bore butter patches and it shoots the same a WW Fluid, but one thing i can say is WW Fluid patches really keeps the bore clean and very little fowling when range shooting. :thumbsup:

Back