• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Burning designs on gun stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnie_kennedy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if i should have put this topic here or in the non muzzleloading discussion section....I am getting my 7 year old his first gun for Christmas. A Red Ryder BB gun just as i had when i was his age. I was thinking of doing a design on the plain side of the stock with a wood burning pen. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this on their gun and if you had any advice of how to do it. I have done some minor amateur wood burning when i was younger but nothing too fancy. I am thinking of some scroll type work with My son's name incorporated along with the year. What do you all think? Any pics of your work?

I can see no harm with a BB gun. What you describe, neatly done, should look fine. With just a little practice, you could do it a palm grip V chisle also. That would give a neater appearance.

On a BB gun, go for it! :)

On a real muzzleloading rifle stock, keep a wood burning set about as far away from it as is humanly possible. :thumbsup:

There is a guy at a lot of our local gun shows who seems to specialize in burning designs, scenes, etc. into the stocks of factory muzzleloaders like CVAs and TCs. Technically, his work is very good but :youcrazy:

Definitely not on a real Muzzleloader...But i hope it comes out as good as i have it drawn on paper. I hope he loves it enough to pass down to his son one day. Still trying to talk my wife into letting me get him a good ol' smokepole :grin: But he is only 7 this year, so there is still some time :thumbsup:

RonnieK said:
But i hope it comes out as good as i have it drawn on paper.

Good point. I think the same caveat applies here as in carving and engraving...."if you can't draw it, you can't carve/engrave it".

Procede carefully and you will create a special heirloom. Go for it. Enjoy, J.D.

Back